What instructor/school would you choose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Suppose for a moment that you won a contest that would send you, all expenses and AMMO paid, to whatever instructor and or shooting school in the U.S.A. I say won a contest(or lottery) because most of us would have this training already if we could afford it.I know some INGO'rs have had the "name brand" training either through LE or their own expense. Rob Pincus, Clint Smith, Massad Ayoob, Gunsite(many fine instructors, Fun House), John Farnum, Tiger Mckee, the list goes on. Who would you choose?

Siderite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    If we're going with a REALLY open-ended "anyone", the going back in time to take a class with Col. Jeff Cooper would top my list.

In the more realistic sense, it would depend on what tool the class was for.

Shotgun: Awerbuck

Handgun: Ayoob, Farnam, Awerbuck

Rifle: Farnam

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If I'm learning to shoot handguns fast and accurate: Manny Bragg, Jerry Barnhart (when he's in-country), Ron Avery, or Bruce Piatt. If he still was teaching - Brian Enos (best $$$ I've spent in my shooting).

If you want tactical mixed in: Bill Rogers (I have no experience with him. By reputation only.)

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Anyone I wou go with Ayoob. I am trying to save up for tactical response.
    I do have a private session with coach from ACT comming up, can't wait for it

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Suarez International. Whole line of Close Range Gunfighting, Point shooting classes, or AK fighting classes. Preferably with some Force on Force as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd like to know some "why?"s to go along with the choices. Some I understand immediately, but others not so much.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd like to go to Gunsite too. It's the Mecca of defensive shooting and we should all make a pilgrimage at least once in life. They also have an incredible facility that I'd love to use for our classes!

I feel the same way about Thunder Ranch. Clint Smith is a no-nonsense guy who has contributed much to the body of knowledge. He pretty much invented the concept of the "urban carbine." I love it when he says he's doing something "because I can."

I suppose I'm lucky to have already trained with many of the people who would otherwise be on my "dream list" of instructors.

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I'd like to know some "why?"s to go along with the choices. Some I understand immediately, but others not so much.

Me too - why?
    At first glance I'd choose Clint Smith / Thunder Ranch, or Ayoob. Reasons are reputation and experience, and the reviews I've read about both of them as instructors. The reason I'm interested in others "why" is because I almost fell for the marketing of Front Sight - which I wouldn't pay a penny for now, just out of principle, from what I now know about the owner/founder.

Jim W.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Brownsburg area
    Me too - why?
    At first glance I'd choose Clint Smith / Thunder Ranch, or Ayoob. Reasons are reputation and experience, and the reviews I've read about both of them as instructors. The reason I'm interested in others "why" is because I almost fell for the marketing of Front Sight - which I wouldn't pay a penny for now, just out of principle, from what I now know about the owner/founder.

Ok I understand why some people would not use Front Sight. But if their so bad why are they one of this sights sponser?

Jim

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Front Sight is not a sponsor of INGO. They just happen to buy ad space from the company that runs our rotating banner ads. I, personally, wish they didn't... :noway:

A lot of space, apparently. Ironically, it's the banner ad up top as I type this LOL.

Top Bottom