• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I'm looking for a beginner scope that doesn't suck and doesn't cost more than $50-$60. Must have a 1" tube. What scope fits my requirements? I'd spend more, but I want to be sure I like shooting with optics before I spend $$$

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm looking for a beginner scope that doesn't suck and doesn't cost more than $50-$60. Must have a 1" tube. What scope fits my requirements? I'd spend more, but I want to be sure I like shooting with optics before I spend $$$

i hate to be be blunt, but at 50-60 dollars the optic will totaly suck and be un enjoyable to shoot.

if you can bump your budget to 120ish you can get a scope that will be reliable and enjoyable to shoot, then worry about upgrading if you think you need to. at 50-60 bucks it wont hold zero, it will be a pain to sight in due to not tracking, the clarity will be less than desirable so you will not like shooting with optics, because it will seem like work every trip to the range

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    i hate to be be blunt, but at 50-60 dollars the optic will totaly suck and be un enjoyable to shoot.

But I don't want to spend $100+ on a scope on a rifle that with me and dad's shooting habits I only shoot maybe a few times a year. Plus, before I wore glasses every scope I looked through (didn't matter what quality they were) everything has fuzzy no matter what. I'd rather buy an inexpensive usable scope to see if I can use optics now. If I can't, then I'm not out a lot of money.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I am in the market for a decent 3-9x40 to see how well I can shoot at 100yds with my 10-22. I bought a 22plinker scope and can barely make out the center bull.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    But I don't want to spend $100+ on a scope on a rifle that with me and dad's shooting habits I only shoot maybe a few times a year. Plus, before I wore glasses every scope I looked through (didn't matter what quality they were) everything has fuzzy no matter what. I'd rather buy an inexpensive usable scope to see if I can use optics now. If I can't, then I'm not out a lot of money.

stick with irons. i know im probably comming off like a a**, but its just the facts. if you buy a 125 dollar scope and dont like it sell it for 100, if you buy a 50 dollar scope you mise well throw it away if you dont like it and if everything is fuzzy you wont like it

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    stick with irons. i know im probably comming off like a a**, but its just the facts. if you buy a 125 dollar scope and dont like it sell it for 100, if you buy a 50 dollar scope you mise well throw it away if you dont like it and if everything is fuzzy you wont like it

That may be my best bet for a while.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN

if you can bump your budget to 120ish you can get a scope that will be reliable and enjoyable to shoot, then worry about upgrading if you think you need to. at 50-60 bucks it wont hold zero, it will be a pain to sight in due to not tracking, the clarity will be less than desirable so you will not like shooting with optics, because it will seem like work every trip to the range

The man knows of what he speaks. I followed his advice and have no regrets. In fact I upgraded 2 10/22s that had crappy scopes with <$150 scopes. In fact if you buy one from him I'll buy it from you if you don't like it less $25. That way you only lose $25 instead of $50. I suspect you will keep it.

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    It sounds like for what you are wanting to do, you could pick up a decent Bushnell and be better off than nothing. I totally agree that spending a little bit more would be much better but if it is not in the cards now, it is not. It would be different if you were shooting more frequently I think. Happy shooting....

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Id have to say to go with the nicer of the two as well, if you were able to use the $50 dollar scope after all, then youre going to want to upgrade to something thats going to be worth having on your gun. Then youve invested 175 to get where you want to be.

Vette, what would you recomend as a rock solid 10/22 scope? Ill be in the market for one as well in the near future. (3-9x40)

tcbloodgood4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Just bought my second 4x32mm Simmons (by Bushnell) scope for my Ruger Mark III 22/45. I've got another one for my Browning Buckmark Hunter. They are great and they have a mail order 20% discount. They cost $74 and change at Natchez.com for the black matte, less for the silver ones. But you get almost $15 back. Sure there is tax and shipping, but the scope is excellent. Found a great laser bore sight at Dick's Sporting goods for $40 too.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I found a new Vortex Crossfire 1.5-4x for well under $60. Shop had no idea what they had except they knew it was discontinued. Keep your eyes open. :cool:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Come up to ECPR on a Saturday, and I'll let you try out my NcStar 2x7. I mount it on my Ruger MKIII Hunter and it is as good as Ill ever need. I think I paid $48 plus shipping a couple of years ago.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I've also got the Simmons 22 MAG 3-9x32. I bought it at Walmart (Haters gonna hate) awhile back for about $40. I'm very happy with it so far. Haven't had any problems with it. I did replace the rings because I don't care for "tip-off" style rings. I bought it after reading a ton of great reviews on it.

Top Bottom