• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr_O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    The Savage Axis line has MSRP of less than $500.
    You should be able to buy one for around $350.
    Look at Bud's Guns or Gallery of Guns.

Weatherby sells a basic Vanguard rifle for just a hair over $500.

Last edited:

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    You should be able to get a Savage package (at a competitve gun dealer) or Remington has a decent package at Dick's, and I'm sure they were under the $500 price point. Since I haven't bought one in awhile, I lightly browse when I'm in stores, but it shouldn't be too tough to find something under that amount. New even.

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Can't go wrong with a Savage, I looked at a Stevens .223 the other day, not quite the fit and feel as the Savage even though they are part of the Savage family.

I think they are to Savage like Maverick is to Mossberg, the economy line. That being said I am sure they would perform well, but for dollars I would get a Savage.

Every Savage I have shot and many friends have them all are moa or better out of the box.

Friend of mine has a Savage tactical and it shoots 1/2 moa or better all day long clean or dirty, it is a work horse.

All the Remingtons I have had were all moa or better.

A economy rifle that gets shot and used with the shooter being experienced and proficent is better than a high dollar tacticool rifle that sits in a safe with an owner who doesn't know how to use it.

For what its worth.

I recently really splurged and got a high end (for me anyway) bolt gun just because I wanted to own one really fine (In my opinion) bolt gun in my life, it was calling my name saying buy me, buy me. I hope it is all of what I expect.

Last edited:

drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you can afford the Savage, get it. If you need cheaper, get the Stevens. I have a Stevens 200 in 223 and a friend has a Savage in 223 (non-accutrigger). The Savage has a better look and more features but we can't tell the difference in accuracy. With either, find what ammo it likes and have fun. They are not the best looking but they do shoot very well.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I priced a Weatherby Vanguard Carbine new for $450. It has a factory tuned adjustable trigger. My local shop has the Savage Edge for $389 as a package. The Edge does not have a adjustable trigger, and the rifle alone, probably $350 or less. My Dad bought an Edge in .223. I may try to sight it in this weekend, if it's nice.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Savage, CZ, Howa or Remington. If you look around you can find them at reasonable prices. You can often find really nice gently used guns at pretty good savings as well. Check the Gun Shows too, can often find a deal walking down the aisles or a dealer who wants to make a sale.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Wish you would have asked this question few months back. My step father was wanting to sell a .223 Savage bolt action that he bought new and never used for well under $500. Sorry, it's been sold now.

Top Bottom