• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Yes, it is steel,, I was wrong in my post stating it was titanium. Before I bought mine a year ago, a couple websites did list the liners as gray titanium.. They were wrong...

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Now I did just find this:

photo-81.png

I am not sure now. I took a piece of 304 stainless and rubbed on the edge of of the liner on my 0350st and it did not leave a mark on my liner, but I'd did leave a groove in the piece of 304.

this is a big reason for me to research something intend to buy. how many retail sites sell items they don't know anything about? all of them! i doubt most intentionally screw up the spec's, but some do.

i would agree 100% with the ZT being your best option.

good luck!

stony

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Pittsboro,IN
    Ehhh, that's Cold Steel. Never trust a fat ass, red headed man chopping meat filled cowboy boots in half with a 2 handed sword.

:yesway: Completely agree, and I totally envisioned this when I read the first thing about Cold Steel.

I think for the ops price range, ZT would be the best bet. IMHO.

I'd spend the extra dough and find a 0551 or wait for the flipper, that's just me though.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I have a tire track knife owned for 2 years bought it at scout camp. Still as sharp as the day I bought it and just as good I forgot the brand though.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Cold Steal is garbage and Lynn Thompson is a thief. Their over-the-top advertisments are a poor excuse for their poor quality products. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I would recommend buying something else.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    451_Detonics;: The advertising is over the top said:
    We'll have to agree to disagree. Lynn Thompson is only one of many reason I dislike Cold Steel. I like to support American made knife companies. It seems like this is one of the only industries that has been able to hold their ground against cheap, slave like, third world labor. A good example is Emerson knives. The knives them self are comparable to several cheaper makers, but I love Ernie's pro-American manufacturing stance. I am a little sad to see the new line of them being made in Japan. Reminds me of the red line Benchmade's and the outsourced Bucks. I wish my Levi's were still made in San Francisco, but there isn't much I can do about it. At least with a knife, I can still hold my ground. If this country gave a damn about products being made here, unemployment wouldn't be where it is today.

The other thing I'm not a fan of with Cold Steel is the materials used per the price of the knife. Their is nothing wrong with AUS8 steel / Kraton in a moderately priced knife, however if I can get 154cm / g10 for the same price, I'll take it. I know his is in contrast with my "America, **** Yeah" business stance, but I like a lot of Spyderco knives. Unlike Cold Steel, you can buy steel and handles in exotic configurations, such as the mule team series. That said, I still cringe a little when I read "Taiwan" stamped on the blade. EX- I recently picked up a C134cf. I loved the carbon fiber / CPM M4 combo, and Gale Bradley is the man. I seen Taiwan on the blade right below a picture of Texas. I couldn't help but to put it back down.

To me, a Cold Steel is overpriced, outsourced knife of moderate quality. If they were cheaper, I might jump on board. It does bother me that Lynn seems to have no respect for the other guys in the knife world. I understand that companies copy others companies designs (ie: Benchmade / Spyder-hole) but Cold Steel has took that ugly trick and ran with it. They are the Taurus of the knife world.

I still own a couple of there products. The "Brooklyn Basher bat is sweet. There hawks are well priced, and work well. As far as there knives, I'll pass. Glad you love them, and wish you the best of luck with their stuff. All this Cold Steel hate just means more of them for you.

Sorry to the op. I have officially jacked your thread. :hijack: Bringing up cold steel on the interweb is like opening Pandora's Box.

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Well some claim that their folding knives are almost as strong as a fixed blade.

Cold Steel say that about their Pocket Bushman folder:
    "While it's physically impossible for any folding knife to ever match the strength and rigidity of a fixed blade, we believe our Pocket Bushman, with its new patent pending lock, is close to hitting the mark."

"The only way the Ram Safe™ lock can be overcome is if the blade breaks or if the pivot pin is sheared off. Two situations that are highly improbable."

:dunno:

For me it means it can take almost anything just like a fixed blade.

Here is the NutnFancy review of the Pocket Bushman:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SHvzmUcIKc
    Spoiler alert! He calls it a broken design. Yikes!

gunrunr76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    ft. wayne
    strongest lock would have to be a butterfly knife...quality of course....you basically have a folding fixed blade...outside of that would probably be a liner lock...but most knives with a liner lock will guillotine if they do fail...sounds terrible to me....spyderco makes the highest performance safest knives...because of flat choil...fingersaver...for the dollar...frn is durable...my users get used and the handles look new compared to the blades....blade steel wise vg10 is a great utility steel hard enough to do its job and be thin and still able to strop back to happy after use....also i wish every new knife i bought was factory sharp like spyderco sharp

ShootinDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    I have a Buck Mini Strider I got about 10yrs ago. Bos ATS-34 blade,titanium liner, G-10 scales. About as indestructable a folder as Ihave ever used

Iluvguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2011
    iv had a kershaw blur for a little over a year now and its been a great knife.

dropped it many many times and still going strong

gunrunr76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    ft. wayne
    be careful with the buck wannabe striders....alot of them have issues with lock failure.....hate to hear about catastrophic failure with injury..just a heads up

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    be careful with the buck wannabe striders....alot of them have issues with lock failure.....hate to hear about catastrophic failure with injury..just a heads up

the lock issue was with the SBT version knives. the last generation that was made to meet a low price point. there have been atleast four different buck/strider collabs. well.... four collabs and a knockoff.... lol.

the first were the 500 series folders. based off of the AR/GB series of folders. started around... 2000 or so maybe? a large and a small were available. still one of the toughest factory knives every built (IMHO). these should be GRABBED if found).

next were the 888 Solutions fixed blade. pretty much a strider EBS. again, fantastic value. get on if you have the chance.

then the large fixed blades. i don't like them, but have no experience with them. no opinion.

then the SBT lines. the originals were great. then buck began dumbing them down. using lesser materials and such. eventually leading to the lock issues on account of attempting to meet a price point. the higher end ones from years ago are great. they go down hill as the years went by and the materials got worse.

Top Bottom