• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    What is a reasonable gun law? What is reasonable to you may not be to me. Majority thinking does not make it reasonable. Gun safety and use should be started in school! I don't know what age would be the best to start but we need to start in school teaching a firearm is a tool not something to fear. I ment a grade school teacher that was so against guns that it was very hard to not shake her till some since came to her. I then realized what each thought was reasonable was a 180 apart.

Sorry for the rant!!!

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Gun safety and use should be started in school! I don't know what age would be the best to start but we need to start in school teaching a firearm is a tool not something to fear.

It should start with all kids between 4-9 y.o. getting the Eddie Eagle (or similar) program. Teach it alongside the 'Stranger Danger' programs. It teaches kids what to do if they find a gun: Stop, Don't Touch, Run Away, Tell a Grown-up.

Even the most Rabid anti-gun parent should be able to recognize the sense of this (but of course they don't).

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    @warren5421

Have you written to your Indiana State Representative or senator? If not, join me in pressing our servants in the legislature with correcting the deficiency in our youthful citizens education.

Among the things I convey to my representative are some of the items below. This year I will Branch out and also contact more second amendment focused Indiana Representatives.

"I would like to convey what I believe are critical changes we as a State need to implement forthwith to limit the continued decline of our nation, and for Indiana again to become a leader in governance by The People. I challenge you to author and promote legislation to achieve these goals for the following items.

Require by law the Indiana Constitution and the relevance of it within the context of a Republic of Republics be taught within our public schools.

Special attention to Articles 1 and 12 should be included in such legislation
    Prior to receiving a High School diploma from an Indiana regulated or public school, each student should be required to read the Constitution of the United States (all of it, preambles and Amendments) and pass a comprehensive test on the Constitution and its history. In addition, each student seeking a High School diploma be required to pass an equivalent to the United States Citizenship test, or a more difficult, test.

Prior to receiving a High School diploma from an Indiana regulated or public school, each student should be required to read the Indiana Constitution, and pass a comprehensive test upon the content of the Indiana Constitution, including Articles 1 and 12.
    Editorializing or interpreting by instructors shall be prohibited.

There need to be harsh, even extreme, penalties for persons in government service (schools, child welfare, law enforcement, judiciary) who do not act on evidence of persons who present a danger to the community. Federal rules and incentives which work counter to this goal should be offset by the State to ensure reporting is robust.

All to often after the most recent shooting by a deranged individual, we find the person had a long history of threats and law enforcement or academic interaction which strongly suggested the individual was a danger to others. Those who did nothing are as guilty of the atrocity as the shooter and need to be held accountable. (If you need further information, have your staff present you with the history of the Pulse nightclub, Marjory Stoneman, Dayton, Nashville Covenant School and Lewiston Main shooters among the many for which adequate knowledge of their disturbing behavior was known. There exist plenty of laws and a judicial system to make them prohibited persons and / or incarcerate them)

The Indiana Constitution Article 1 Section 32 and Article 12; and the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States clearly intended for the militia to safeguard Liberty. This is a need which State government must address.

Historically this Nation and State could be said to produce an adequate number of citizens with knowledge of arms and militia responsibility. The urbanization of Indiana and these United States has left us bereft of that cadre of citizen militia which are capable of understanding and meeting their militia responsibilities, but awash in those with access to arms which they do not know how to use or why. Indiana can easily be a leader in this arena by addressing the items below.

Require all schools which receive Indiana government funding to offer and require demonstration of firearms safety training in the middle school years and marksmanship during the High School years, based upon the standard U.S. Military or NRA marksmanship guidelines.

The marksmanship training should entail both rimfire and centerfire handgun and rifle proficiency demonstration.
    Students who DO NOT pass the marksmanship demonstration must be required to disclose this status to the State when registering for the Selective Service.
    The State shall petition the Federal government to require all citizens who did not pass the marksmanship demonstration to be selected for Selective Service, prior to selection of those citizens who did pass as these persons will require additional training.

Indiana should lead the way to restoration of the militia as a natural and capable deterrent to foreign and domestic threats. Indiana can achieve this goal by accomplishing the above education and ensuring all our youth understand their responsibility and duty pursuant to USC Title 10 246 (see below) and Constitution of Indiana ARTICLE 12 Militia.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    And for brevity, there are no reasonable gun laws.

"Shall not be infringed" means just that. I should not need a government permission slip, nor pay a tax to own a Cannon or an automatic weapon or any other arm.

In case no one has noticed, laws prohibiting felons from possessing firearms do not stop felons from possessing firearms.

Laws should be few, and penalties severe. If someone has committed a felonious act been tried and convicted by a jury of his peers they need to do the full-time associated with that conviction. When their sentence is complete they need to be fully restored as a citizen without restriction. To do otherwise is to create a permanent criminal underclass who will live among us doing the only thing they know how to do being a criminal.

Better to incarcerate them for their full sentence at hard labor, than give parole and time off for good behavior to only return a younger and more predatory individual to our midsts.

ETA: correct spelling of cannon

Last edited:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    @warren5421

Have you written to your Indiana State Representative or senator? If not, join me in pressing our servants in the legislature with correcting the deficiency in our youthful citizens education.

Among the things I convey to my representative are some of the items below. This year I will Branch out and also contact more second amendment focused Indiana Representatives.

"I would like to convey what I believe are critical changes we as a State need to implement forthwith to limit the continued decline of our nation, and for Indiana again to become a leader in governance by The People. I challenge you to author and promote legislation to achieve these goals for the following items.

Require by law the Indiana Constitution and the relevance of it within the context of a Republic of Republics be taught within our public schools.

Special attention to Articles 1 and 12 should be included in such legislation
    Prior to receiving a High School diploma from an Indiana regulated or public school, each student should be required to read the Constitution of the United States (all of it, preambles and Amendments) and pass a comprehensive test on the Constitution and its history. In addition, each student seeking a High School diploma be required to pass an equivalent to the United States Citizenship test, or a more difficult, test.

Prior to receiving a High School diploma from an Indiana regulated or public school, each student should be required to read the Indiana Constitution, and pass a comprehensive test upon the content of the Indiana Constitution, including Articles 1 and 12.
    Editorializing or interpreting by instructors shall be prohibited.

There need to be harsh, even extreme, penalties for persons in government service (schools, child welfare, law enforcement, judiciary) who do not act on evidence of persons who present a danger to the community. Federal rules and incentives which work counter to this goal should be offset by the State to ensure reporting is robust.

All to often after the most recent shooting by a deranged individual, we find the person had a long history of threats and law enforcement or academic interaction which strongly suggested the individual was a danger to others. Those who did nothing are as guilty of the atrocity as the shooter and need to be held accountable. (If you need further information, have your staff present you with the history of the Pulse nightclub, Marjory Stoneman, Dayton, Nashville Covenant School and Lewiston Main shooters among the many for which adequate knowledge of their disturbing behavior was known. There exist plenty of laws and a judicial system to make them prohibited persons and / or incarcerate them)

The Indiana Constitution Article 1 Section 32 and Article 12; and the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States clearly intended for the militia to safeguard Liberty. This is a need which State government must address.

Historically this Nation and State could be said to produce an adequate number of citizens with knowledge of arms and militia responsibility. The urbanization of Indiana and these United States has left us bereft of that cadre of citizen militia which are capable of understanding and meeting their militia responsibilities, but awash in those with access to arms which they do not know how to use or why. Indiana can easily be a leader in this arena by addressing the items below.

Require all schools which receive Indiana government funding to offer and require demonstration of firearms safety training in the middle school years and marksmanship during the High School years, based upon the standard U.S. Military or NRA marksmanship guidelines.

The marksmanship training should entail both rimfire and centerfire handgun and rifle proficiency demonstration.
    Students who DO NOT pass the marksmanship demonstration must be required to disclose this status to the State when registering for the Selective Service.
    The State shall petition the Federal government to require all citizens who did not pass the marksmanship demonstration to be selected for Selective Service, prior to selection of those citizens who did pass as these persons will require additional training.

Indiana should lead the way to restoration of the militia as a natural and capable deterrent to foreign and domestic threats. Indiana can achieve this goal by accomplishing the above education and ensuring all our youth understand their responsibility and duty pursuant to USC Title 10 246 (see below) and Constitution of Indiana ARTICLE 12 Militia.
    Be sure to cc Rod Bray, if you reach out to your state rep. Based on my last conversation with him, they were going to get started on school type stuff soon (how to get more trade school interest/enrollment vs just college) and this would go well with that.

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Shall not be infringed" means just that. I should not need a government permission slip, nor pay a tax to own a Canon or an automatic weapon or any other arm.

I've had several Canon's, and liked them, but I really wanted a Nikon......
    Sorry, I couldn't help myself......

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    The only reasonable firearms related law I can think of is: Punish those who use firearms to murder, rob etc... quickly and severely.
    Concur. There’s no reason to single out the item that was used in a crime. We already have laws against the acts of murder, robbery, etc. The UK seems to be going down that slope with knife laws and who knows what else yet to come - hammer laws, rock laws, fork laws, ???

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    To answer the thread’s title question: No law is a good law that contravenes the phrase “…shall not be infringed.“ Amazing how our government leaders (idiots) can’t read and understand the plain meaning of those words.
    The writers of the Constitution are rolling in their graves! :ugh:

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Preventing felons from owning them? And ironically that one seems to be getting a challenge from the 9th circuit. Just give me suppressors without NFA hassle and I'll take that as a win!
    As someone else pointed out, violent felons. I'm ok with this but not as a permanent ban. Once the debit to society is paid a decision can be made to reinstate.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Here is where I get flamed,
    I'm OK with not allowing those under 18 to purchase a firearm. I'm completely ok with them possessing one.

Our society uses age as a proxy for maturity on many things; voting, suing and being sued, signing contracts, owning property, etc. None of these are constitutionally protected but often minors don't have full constitutional rights. This would inject (hopefully) a parent into the equation to judge a kid's readiness to possess. I can see a reasonable person thinking it would be pointless but I disagree.

I think the export constraints on firearms are acceptable. Both to constrain those who would buy a case of Glocks to hand out in Gaza or the hoops I jumped through to get my hunting rifle into and back from Africa.

My upthread comment about violent felons notwithstanding that's it.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Should be a law that All Children are to learn Firearms Safety in grade school.
    Should be a law that ALL Adults are to learn Firearms Safety when they Register to Vote...Bill.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Preventing felons from owning them? And ironically that one seems to be getting a challenge from the 9th circuit. Just give me suppressors without NFA hassle and I'll take that as a win!
    Because the right to defend our life is our most important right, I've always had a problem with a blanket denial of the right to keep and bear arms for ALL felonies after their sentence is completed.

Many crimes that are felonies are non-violent, have no connection to the violator's propensity to commit violence, and therefore when their sentence is completed they shouldn't be denied the right to keep and bear arms again, because they've never been a physical threat to anybody in the first place.

Lucar186

Threat to Democracy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2024
    Auburn
    What is a reasonable gun law? What is reasonable to you may not be to me. Majority thinking does not make it reasonable. Gun safety and use should be started in school! I don't know what age would be the best to start but we need to start in school teaching a firearm is a tool not something to fear. I ment a grade school teacher that was so against guns that it was very hard to not shake her till some since came to her. I then realized what each thought was reasonable was a 180 apart.

Sorry for the rant!!!
    People currently in prison should not have access to firearms. That is it.

Top Bottom