jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    “All lives don’t matter until black lives matter”

By their actions it seems we could translate it this way: “Your life doesn’t matter until we get what we want.” And of course we can consult their list of demands for that:

CoyVHCBUAAAc5-H

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was listening to a podcast a few weeks ago where someone started running down some stats that during the slavery days, the percentages of free blacks and native Americans that “owned” slaves themselves. I wish I’d been able to get the source of that info but the percentages in the states he ran down were up into the double-digits.

With this information in mind, how do we decide who’s deserving compensation and who should be getting the bill?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was listening to a podcast a few weeks ago where someone started running down some stats that during the slavery days, the percentages of free blacks and native Americans that “owned” slaves themselves. I wish I’d been able to get the source of that info but the percentages in the states he ran down were up into the double-digits.

With this information in mind, how do we decide who’s deserving compensation and who should be getting the bill?
    I did not participate. Neither did my family. If they can pinpoint the people who were responsible, maybe they could file a class action suit. Of course that’s absurd.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

Easy. NO ****ING REPARATIONS. EVER.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I did not participate. Neither did my family. If they can pinpoint the people who were responsible, maybe they could file a class action suit. Of course that’s absurd.

The family lore has it that one of my Kentucky ancestors had a farm down on the Ohio River and owned some slaves. The lore also goes on to state he lost everything to carpet baggers after the war. As far as I’m concerned, any amount I might owe because of my family’s direct participation was paid when some man I never knew lost that farm.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'd be real careful about how I would trot out that statistic. That could totally be misused. And since you used quotes, I'm more curious about the context of this ownership. Was it done for legal reasons rather than a need for slave labor.

We don't, because reparation is a stupid idea.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It's a Marxist agenda. Pure and simple.

The answer: NO. Not today. Not tomorrow. Never.

Become a participant in the general American culture like most successful black people do. If not, leave. We'll help you pack.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    OK. Are you refuting it? To what extent? Please correct me.

Not pointing fingers, or casting aspersions, and not knowing anything about this podcast, but just that statistic alone, it just sounds like it would be accompanied with, "See, slavery wasn't racist."

And I'm curious about the context - was that a black man who legally bought his wife out of servitude but retained ownership so she could be free?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not pointing fingers, or casting aspersions, and not knowing anything about this podcast, but just that statistic alone, it just sounds like it would be accompanied with, "See, slavery wasn't racist."

I see. Context does matter so let me provide a bit more. It was in the context of reparations (probably among other things) as best as I remember. It was basically being brought up to question how one would assign the level of financial responsibility for people since slavery wasn’t a problem strictly along skin color lines.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

And I'm curious about the context - was that a black man who legally bought his wife out of servitude but retained ownership so she could be free?

Nope. The first life time slave in America was owned by black man. The native Americans owned them too. Now, admittedly, the number of free blacks in slave owning states was probably pretty small to begin with and that would mean even if in some states 20% of free blacks owned slaves, that would mean a really small number did. (But then again, a really small number of whites owned slaves too).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Nope. The first life time slave in America was owned by black man. The native Americans owned them too. Now, admittedly, the number of free blacks in slave owning states was probably pretty small to begin with and that would mean even if in some states 20% of free blacks owned slaves, that would mean a really small number did. (But then again, a really small number of whites owned slaves too).

Are you talking about Anthony Johnson?

EDIT: And in the OP, you mentioned "slavery days"; and I'm not completely up on that history, but my impression is that the slavery morphed into something much more grotesque in the 19th century.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Are you talking about Anthony Johnson?

EDIT: And in the OP, you mentioned "slavery days"; and I'm not completely up on that history, but my impression is that the slavery morphed into something much more grotesque in the 19th century.

If I were good at remembering names, I wouldn’t have become an engineer. :D. I do things better than people.

I’ll not pretend to be an expert but it is my understanding that the slavery of the 19th century you’re referring to was in existence prior to the country’s founding.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    “All lives don’t matter until black lives matter”

By their actions it seems we could translate it this way: “Your life doesn’t matter until we get what we want.” And of course we can consult their list of demands for that:

CoyVHCBUAAAc5-H

These mother ****ing commies can go **** themselves.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom