What is considered a "lot" of rounds thru a semi auto pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    How many rounds would be considered "a lot"? I've seen a few posts recommending a pistol to be reliable because theirs has had a 1000 rounds thru it without trouble.
    I'm just curious as I put more than that thru mine the day I bought it. I have a FNX 45 that's seen 8K rounds in less than two months( yeah I like to shoot). Is it just me or do you guys have enough guns to spread the love around?

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    8,000 rounds in two months through one gun?? Impressive. With that volume of shooting, make sure you keep up with maintenance on springs and such, but otherwise it should keep running.

I am not sure if there is a number that would qualify as "a lot." The most one of mine has is around 10,000

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I wish I had the money to shoot that much... I guess I could if I wanted to exhaust my whole supply of ammo. I have about 1,000 through my current EDC.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Most users will never shoot much more than 1,000 rounds through their pistols. If they do, it will take them YEARS of occasional casual target practice.

Really? That seems low to me. I'd consider my range trips casual, and I can easily go through 150-200 rds in a 30 minute session. I don't shoot as often as I'd like, but it's more than 5 times a year.

I'd consider "a lot" of rounds to start in the 15-20k range.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't know about polymer pistols, but there are many steel frame 1911 chassis pistols that see multiple thousands of rounds per year for dozens of years. My first real Bullseye competition 1911 (COLT) had been shot in Bullseye and PPC leagues at least 25 years when I got it and I shot it in leagues another 10 years, changing the recoil spring to also shoot bowling pin matches. I would not hesitate to buy a well kept 10,000 round handgun.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'd say you're generally not likely to see a major problem (barrel lugs fail, slide/frame rail cracks, cracks in the slide, things of that nature) until a pistol has at least 60k through it. You can probably find examples of guns failing sooner, and you can certainly find examples of them lasting longer, but when a gun gets to that ballpark round count I don't consider it a primary for carry (and would at least want a back-up available for competition).

I had a 92FS fail (barrel lugs and frame rail) at around 120k rounds.
    I have a 92G Elite II w/ ~60k on it.
    I have a 2011 ispc 'open' gun w/ ~60k on it.

I don't consider a gun "reliable" unless it can consistently run 1k rounds w/o cleaning (will add oil if it's had time to dry out).

I usually clean my guns anywhere from 1k to 5k rounds (the 92FS mentioned above went 15-20k w/o cleaning several times), so I definitely don't consider 1k a lot of rounds.

ps. the above is for a centerfire from a high-end/reputable manufacturer (glock, sig, beretta, hk, most 1911s, etc). Not some low or mid-grade gun. even some guns from the major manufacturers I wouldn't trust to run that long. For a .22, 200k is probably a "lot." Maintenance as well as the types of loads obviously make a difference. A steady diet of +p or bowling-pin loads may bring that number down somewhat vs std loads.

I'd say it's reasonable to expect some minor parts might break after the first 20k (extractors, etc) (so I usually try to keep my carry guns relatively low round count... only a couple k per year).

:twocents:

-rvb

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    Is there particular way to know if recoil spring is softening? I've been paying attention to the extractor and rail mounting area as I assume most wear would show there first. I reload a little soft and perhaps that helps.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I guess the question I would ask you is, how many rounds, in what amount of time do YOU consider high round count? How many rounds does one have to shoot before YOU consider it "reliable"?

High round counts without regular maintenance is impressive. Hundreds of thousands of rounds on a regularly maintained gun should not shock anyone, should be industry standard.

My 9c has run, what I consider a high round count, 1200 within the month Ive owned it. Thats due to thats my only handgun at present.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It really depends on the gun.

For a low end pistol 2k-3k may be a lot. For a quality gun, 100k may be a lot. I generally consider a Glock with under 10k to be practically new. I have a Walther PPS with about 2.7k through it and I consider that about a tenth of its service life.

My Buckmark .22 has who knows how many rounds through it now (60k? just a guess based on my .22 ammo purchases over the years) and I consider it properly broken in, and the only thing it has had was hosing down with CLP every thousand rounds or so. I have a FIE Titan .25acp that would probably be worn out at 1000 rounds (I collect them, dunno why I like them so much, never carry one anymore like I did in the early 90s when there weren't many good options for a pocket gun).

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    my sig 226 .40 has close to 20,000 rounds threw it. its been re-spring a few times but with proper cleaning and lube she will out live me and my daughter who will one day get it.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    I don't know about polymer pistols, but there are many steel frame 1911 chassis pistols that see multiple thousands of rounds per year for dozens of years. My first real Bullseye competition 1911 (COLT) had been shot in Bullseye and PPC leagues at least 25 years when I got it and I shot it in leagues another 10 years, changing the recoil spring to also shoot bowling pin matches. I would not hesitate to buy a well kept 10,000 round handgun.

For the first 8 or 9 years I shot Limited in USPSA. My pistol is a Para P14-45 that's seen 70K to 80K rounds, is on its second barrel and is about to get a much needed refinish. No cracks or fractures or anything. Just LOTS of finish wear that I kept touching up with cold blue.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Is there particular way to know if recoil spring is softening? I've been paying attention to the extractor and rail mounting area as I assume most wear would show there first. I reload a little soft and perhaps that helps.

There are test fixtures made for checking springs. Unless you have LOTS of springs to check, it is not economical. For the cost of the tool, you could buy a 20 year supply of 1911 recoil springs. If you have a pistol you shoot weekly, change the spring every year. Lesser shot pistols go every couple years.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    There are test fixtures made for checking springs. Unless you have LOTS of springs to check, it is not economical. For the cost of the tool, you could buy a 20 year supply of 1911 recoil springs. If you have a pistol you shoot weekly, change the spring every year. Lesser shot pistols go every couple years.

Sounds good, thanks.

dmonsche

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    Really? That seems low to me. I'd consider my range trips casual, and I can easily go through 150-200 rds in a 30 minute session. I don't shoot as often as I'd like, but it's more than 5 times a year.

I'd consider "a lot" of rounds to start in the 15-20k range.

same here. Since I got my XD i've been shooting a few times a month anywhere from 150-200 rnds per session.

manley82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I always considered 500/month to be a fair # but after reading some of these posts I feel I need to step up my game!

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I'm nothing compared to some folks. I consider 500 rds. With zero malfunctions a fighting gun. I do carry Glock. I try several different FMJ and my HP or choice, which is Speer or Corbon. No cleaning between ammo changes. Just keep shooting. I probably have 1,500-2,000 in my G17 which was used so hard telling how many total. My G21 has probably 750-800 total. G19 the same.

Top Bottom