What is credibility for a company in the NFA business?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • citycreek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    I've been wondering about this.
    • What do you think are some of the most respected companies in the USA that manufacture, sell, or service NFA firearms (SOTs, not regular FFLs)?
    • What about the company/person makes you have a high opinion of them?
    • What would cause you to have a very low opinion of someone in the NFA industry?
    • What is credibility for these types of companies?
    • When encountering a new company, what would win or lose your potential admiration or respect for it?

I'm looking for examples of companies that you have positive respect for, and thoughts on why that is so. No need to drag anyone through the mud who lacks your respect.

This thread might be useful for people who are trying to figure out which companies they want to do business with.

Mosin Mounts

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Southwest of Indianapolis
    Coastal Gun (owner: Clyde Wilson) of Georgia - bought my first can from him, he stands behind his products, very helpful, he doesn't trash talk his competition to those new to the quiet club, and he seems to treat everyone the same. I don't know him well, but he has treated me and my friends very well.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I first look for a quality product.

After that I will really look at how a company takes care of their customers. SilencerCo is a company that I think of, their customer service is outstanding. They respond quickly to emails and answer their phone, and are very helpful when doing so. So far even with limited experience I have been happy with DeadAir also, their communication and openness about things is refreshing. However, with SiCo I almost think of them like Dillon; while non NFA, I have had super positive experiences and personally know others who have also. They seem to bend over backwards to help or answer any questions even if you are "new" and may ask something simple/silly. I only own cans from four companies so I don't have tons of experience but I will say the most important things to me are communication and helpfulness as well as warrantees known to be held up on the manufactures end by other customers is important to me. Not that I plan to have a baffle strike but seeing a company that will fix it quickly (even if you do have to pay for it) is important to me. I also like when I see the accessories such as breaks, pistons, end caps etc available and priced "fairly."

After looking at product quality seeing how a company is with it's customers along these lines is what would make me want to do business or stay away from them. I don't have to see rave reviews per say but that does give me confidence. I will say though that seeing very poor reviews will make me want to stay away. Not to drag anyone down, but after seeing how one company has been with a friend of mine it would be highly unlikely for me to purchase a can from them.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Coastal Gun (owner: Clyde Wilson) of Georgia - bought my first can from him, he stands behind his products, very helpful, he doesn't trash talk his competition to those new to the quiet club, and he seems to treat everyone the same. I don't know him well, but he has treated me and my friends very well.

I will second Coastal. Their designs are kind of dated, but I still have my Coastal Uzi .45 can which I picked up with my first mg purchase. When I contacted Coastal about it (it was pretty used when I got it and had been re-threaded for 7/8x9 only), they offered to upgrade the can to their newer MIMS mounting system, upgrade the baffle stack, and refinish the can for a pretty reasonable price (it was like $150 or so). I sent it in and got it back within 2 weeks. Pretty stellar turnaround, especially for such a small shop. So, for a subgun can, you wouldn't go wrong with a Coastal.

As to mainline larger companies, Silencerco has still been my long time go-to. I have several of their cans and have been very impressed with their build quality and accessories. They can be a bit spendy, but they are quality cans.

Top Bottom