(HA, no filthy word use!!)

direland

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Martinsville, IN
    My dry dry firing is beginning to help. I shot my best classifier to date "Can You Count", 96 score in 10.71 seconds, had a slight bobble at mag change. Been dry firing 3 times a week after Cioach mentioned it.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm still restricted. I am getting to the gym 3-5 days. Weight loss isn't happening. Lol. Weight gain yes.

While this will seem ironic coming from me......here it goes

Have you changed your eating habits?

(go ahead I can take, no exercise here, no diet change, and I am still a fat ass, apparently wishing it away doesn't work)

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm still working up a .40 load but that is going pretty well. Trying to move up slow and I'm almost there. Another .2 gr and I think I'll make major anywhere with the Bayou Bullets.
    I bought some pulled .40 180 gr FMJ I thought I'd use for match ammo. It's running 50-70 fps slower with the same powder weight. I don't want to go up any higher than I have to on powder charge so I think I'll just use my major powder load for Bayou Bullets and use the FMJ for practice.

Whadaya think?

I started dryfiring with the Cameron gun. Reloads are much easier. Then I go to the range and find I can't reload a SS anymore. So, back to the SS for dryfire. Elbow is tolerable so far but it's always there.

I took the Cameron gun and about 100 rounds to the range tonight. Man, nice gun. Double taps seem faster. Of course I forgot my timer (yesterday I forgot my chrono). At least I remembered the gun. It's fun to shoot though and it seemed my accuracy improves with it. Maybe it's the trigger. I spent a lot of money for it by my standards but so far, I'm really pleased.

Looking forward to the season starting. I don't think I'm near ready though. Wheeling and dealing, buying up all the stuff to reset up my 650 for .40 and then actually setting it up has cut into my dryfire time.

Well that and I probably start drinking too early...

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm still working up a .40 load but that is going pretty well. Trying to move up slow and I'm almost there. Another .2 gr and I think I'll make major anywhere with the Bayou Bullets.
    I bought some pulled .40 180 gr FMJ I thought I'd use for match ammo. It's running 50-70 fps slower with the same powder weight. I don't want to go up any higher than I have to on powder charge so I think I'll just use my major powder load for Bayou Bullets and use the FMJ for practice.

Whadaya think?

I started dryfiring with the Cameron gun. Reloads are much easier. Then I go to the range and find I can't reload a SS anymore. So, back to the SS for dryfire. Elbow is tolerable so far but it's always there.

I took the Cameron gun and about 100 rounds to the range tonight. Man, nice gun. Double taps seem faster. Of course I forgot my timer (yesterday I forgot my chrono). At least I remembered the gun. It's fun to shoot though and it seemed my accuracy improves with it. Maybe it's the trigger. I spent a lot of money for it by my standards but so far, I'm really pleased.

Looking forward to the season starting. I don't think I'm near ready though. Wheeling and dealing, buying up all the stuff to reset up my 650 for .40 and then actually setting it up has cut into my dryfire time.

Well that and I probably start drinking too early...

Jacketed can run a little slower than lead/moly

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Jacketed can run a little slower than lead/moly

I know that...

Thanks for the tip on practicing reloads only with the SS though.

I figure if I make major with the coated bullets, I'll just use them and not put any undo stress on the gun and shooter.

I just ran the numbers on the chrono. 7 shots averaged 169 PF. But that's with three in the 905-918 range and 4 with 950-975 range. Too much spread on those. It's gonna warm up too and I'm using a temp sensitive powder.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    My dryfire is coming along, I have been busy the last few days so it has been neglected. I saw some improvement on the drills that I work on each time I go to the range. Not as much as I would like to see but at least some.
    I missed my first workout in 7 weeks today but It's my daughters birthday so I'll double it up tomorrow.I have been logging my food intake per my doctor and by his calculations I should be down about 25lbs.The scale says 7. Maybe he will believe me this time,but I doubt it. Insulin sucks

direland

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm still restricted. I am getting to the gym 3-5 days. Weight loss isn't happening. Lol. Weight gain yes.

I have lost 29 lbs from late Dec '10 to date. I hit the gym 3-4 days a week for 1hr 15 minutes. No sugar, no salt, no white rice or white bread. Sucked the first three weeks, now not bad.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    My dryfire times are roughly what they were two years ago at this time.

Some of my times have improved quite a bit,some not so much.
    I have been doing a lot of work on reloads and the times have come down in dryfire but it isn't transferring to livefire.Maybe I'm wasting my time:):

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Some of my times have improved quite a bit,some not so much.
    I have been doing a lot of work on reloads and the times have come down in dryfire but it isn't transferring to livefire.Maybe I'm wasting my time:):

You are not wasting your time. It will help. We never progress as fast as we want but it will help, and likely be noticeable to you and others.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You are not wasting your time. It will help. We never progress as fast as we want but it will help, and likely be noticeable to you and others.

agree.

and it's not always about speed, it's often about consistency. You may not be cutting a lot of time off your live-fire reloads, but if you are ALWAYS hitting your shot to shot time, that's MUCH better than fumbling or taking an extra second or two that shouldn't be there some fraction of the time.

We're dealing in tenths of seconds here. Progress is slow. And the better you get, the harder it is to shave off more thenths.

Also look at HOW you practice. Different people are going to improve in different ways. Me, I need to crash and burn. It's probably a good thing I'm not a race car driver cause I would probably have an intimate relationship with the walls. I've run drills with a pure speed focus, ignoring the sights, just to see how it felt... and then looked at the targets and only had half the shots on paper, then I'll try to run the same pace with with a sight focus, and then go for As, then try set a dryfire par that gets me that 'feeling', the dryfire it till it's all As comfortably... and that's my loop. Some people that wrecks them cause all they learn is to "feel fast and sling lead." ... So experiment around with HOW you practice to see if there is a better way than just slowly inching the pars down...

The trend these days (especially on Enos) is the mantra that all As are needed all the time.... For me, in practice, I have to push my comfort zone at the expense of missing some shots, and then bear down and work for As in that new zone...

As far as transfering dryfire to livefire, I think that may show more live fire is needed. I'm seeing that lately as last year my practice was 100% dryfire. I think subconsciously I'm becoming hesitant w/ live ammo... So to tie this in to what I'm doing different this year, is I am hoping to average once a month on a practice range to incorporate lessons from dryfire... since I'm running a new gun, I think this is especially important...

-rvb

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If you read Enos and believe it that whole group over there has not shot a Charlie in months and I am talking combined.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you read Enos and believe it that whole group over there has not shot a Charlie in months and I am talking combined.

Just posting on enos will raise your scores by 10%, giving advice on enos 15% increase, giving advice on things you don't do 20%......

Wasting time on here will get you a 10% decrease

Top Bottom