• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "Sigh" I can't wait to grant this world a gift, and have a kid.

Who'll teach them to drive in the snow?

In the span of a few short weeks, my daughter has gone from "sweet baby girl" to "Holy crap where did THIS kid come from"... But she's (mostly) healthy. So many aren't.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Do they play Call Of Duty? My 17 yearold daughter is the same way. Dosnt matter if its a semi auto or a revolver.

I've always played video games and still play Call of Duty. On Black Ops 2, I'm regularly kicking the crap out of kids, especially on the newest game. In most games, I've got the highest kill to death ratio of anyone in there. (I'm nearly 44 years old). My kids can't dream of out shooting me, and my best friend, who has won trophies for marksmanship, can't touch me. I can pick any of his guns and out shoot him with them. I've done this many times at the range, too. I'm not bragging, and I'm certain that there are many better shooters around here. My point is that I'm pretty average at anything I do, except shooting and video games. I think the skills go hand in hand. I've never had any formal shooting coaching, either, although I do read about good techniques and try to use them.

I'm not good at too many things, and I'm not athletic or particularly coordinated. I'm convinced the video games have had a dramatic effect on my shooting ability. That's not scientific, but I can't imagine how it could be anything else.

My 9 year old boy is the same way, especially with a red dot. I'm sure it is the games for him, too.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I've decided that I hate my twin 20 year old nephews.

A few months ago, one of them contact me with interest in the firearms stuff. So, during that time I've been teaching him a thing here and there. The problem is, he learns and masters the skills way too quickly. And his marksmanship is way too good, especially when he's shooting while moving.

So, maybe it's fluke. Maybe I'm just that good at teaching. Maybe not.

Today I had him and his brother at the range for a little while. I showed the first three new things and now he's does them better than I do after half a dozen repetitions. And his marksmanship was still better than mine.

Okay, I knew that would happen. Twin #2 stepped to the line. He had never fired a centerfire handgun and only shot .22 in the distant past. So, with virtually no instruction from me other than where to aim on the target, he used a Glock 17 to put 17 rounds in one ragged hole in the high center chest at about 8 yards.

I hate them. I hate them almost as much as I am proud. However, on the next trip to the range I'm going to teach them how to miss.

This has been my experience with new shooters in the civilian world. I chalk it up to they simply have not developed any bad habits yet.

Top Bottom