What is needed for a removable mag on a remington 700?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I've got a Remington 700 SPS, it is stock with the 4 round in gun mag. What parts do I need to use a removable magazine?

I did some googling and it looks like I might need to replace the stock and trigger guard assembly. The stock is on my list, but further down if I can avoid it.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you get an HS Precision detachable mag set up nothing is needed. It is paterned after the original bottom metal and is a drop in (very little inletting) fit.

Otherwise there are several other mfg's out there that offer great systems but depending on who you use the inletting will be diffrent.

Here's a link to rifle I recently did for a shooter in IL.

Inu's 700P project complete. - Chicagoland Sportbikes

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i would contact triad tactical and use the badger. that said its the only one ive ever tried so i cant compare the badger and other systems. but i do know that im extreamly happy with mine.
    003-2.jpg

since this picture i contacted r&d precision and ordered a diffrent style mag release

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    After using the HS Precision DBM setup for a couple of years and now having the Badger M5/AI mags I would not recommend the HS Precision. Not only are the magazines difficult to come by but they are ridiculously overpriced and don't work nearly as well as the AI magazines.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You mostly just need lots of $$$$$$$$. They setup is expensive, the mags are expensive....

IMHO unless you're using this is real life or death situations (combat) then you're wasting money. :twocents:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You mostly just need lots of $$$$$$$$. They setup is expensive, the mags are expensive....

IMHO unless you're using this is real life or death situations (combat) then you're wasting money. :twocents:

i got them on my new build. i really dont care about the detachable mag part what i do care about is the ability to load longer col. the factory bottom metal from remington allows for 2.79ish oal. the badger system allows for 2.9 oal, allowing me to get alot closer to my lands and making my rifle alot more accurate. in my rifle it made probably the most accuracy bang for the buck of anything i did.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Either put it in an AICS, which has a built in DBM that uses Badger mags. Or put in in a stiff stock (McM, Manners...the list is short) along with a Badger DBM or one of the clones (Seekins, CDI).

The HS Precision is mostly for looks and will reduce reliably over the stock box.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    BADGER ORDANCE DOES NOT MAKE MAGS!!!!!!! Please stop saying that. These DBM's use factory AI magazines bought directly from AI. There are a few companies that make "knock off" AICS style mags but be warned, they are not teh original mags.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    BADGER ORDANCE DOES NOT MAKE MAGS!!!!!!! Please stop saying that. These DBM's use factory AI magazines bought directly from AI. There are a few companies that make "knock off" AICS style mags but be warned, they are not teh original mags.

Yeah you are correct. I'm not a big brand name cheerleader, so you'll sometimes put up with my sometimes jumbling them up.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'm a cheerleader of whatever fits my need for a particular application. From there I just pay whatever the price tag says. If your kit is that important to what you do then cost should not be a factor at all. Now for recreational use I totaly understand.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I wouldn't be asking unless it was something I wanted.

It looks like AI makes a nice stock/magwell kit...

http://72.17.147.19/accintlsrt/images/AICS15SABK_Right.jpg

Thoughts?

Is inlaying something I could do myself or does is it worth it to have it done by a gunsmith?

yes inletting is somthing you can do yourself. you just need a dremel and a stedy hand. on the stock you showed the link to you should not need to do anything. i believe all ai stocks are set up to take ai mags from the factory. i could be wrong as ive never had one. i will say ive never heard a bad word about them

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The link shows a 1.5, which has a comb that is adjustable for height and cast. You can find a 1.0 without that and a 2.0 with it and a folding buttstock.

I'd advise shouldering an AI stock before buying. People tend to either love them or hate them. And they are tanks in both weight and durability.

Top Bottom