• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I have a metric crap ton of older Chip McCormick mags from back in the day (still work great btw). I plan on buying 2 new officer size mags for my carry gun, that said money is no object, when I say best, I am looking at function not being gold plated. :):

Thanks

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    My TRP likes the Wilson Combat ETM's.

My Series 70 Colt likes Mecgar.

The Mecgar mags won't lock in on my TRP.

With all of that being said, by a couple of each and try them out in your 1911. Firearms like people are all different and have different "likes" and "dislikes".

The best Mag is the cheapest one that performs reliably in your 1911.

With that being said, I have yet to own or shoot a 1911 that does not like the C Mc Power Mags. I use those as range mags for all of my 1911's.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I would. The springs on the ETM's are not that strong. Depending on the detent (if any) on your slide stop, that could cause an issue.

When my TRP was newer, I could put an empty ETM in the gun and pull the slide all the way to the back. The follower on the mag would not push up hard enough on the slide stop to lock the slide to the rear. However, when at the range, the slide would lock to the rear on empty. Now that the mags and the firearm are broken in, there are no issues.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Ive had good luck with Wilsons & Chip Mcormick mags (shooting star) & had no problems with Kimber as well. If you dont mind a 7 rd limit ,Govt. issue mags are pretty reliable & several people swear by them .Ive got a bunch of mags from various manufacturers & the ones that dont work well ,I mark & use for ftf drills at the range

Hit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    For my full size Kimber, the extra mags i got were 8 round Wilson's and they've worked great.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Have not tested Officer size mags, but for full size Wilson 47Ds have always run well in my 70 Series Government and Baer. Recently went to a Tripp Research 7 rounder for EDC in the Baer after testing it and it seems to be a great magazine VERY well built and 100%. An option would be to buy the Tripp "kit" for your existing mags.

As others have wisely stated, make sure your choice runs well in YOUR gun. Magazines are one of the most critical parts in making a 1911 run well.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I have Chip Mccormic mags for my Colt and have had no problems with them and I have used the willson mags too and there great as well. I do belive i have had more positive responces on the Wilson mags though becouse they offer more of there mag lines with the removable base plate to help with the cleaning of the mags.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Wilson's ETM'S are by far the best mags i'v ever had for government model ......i have 5 that have over 5k ran in each and besides cleanin' them no parts have ever been replaced....still run like the day they where new....as far as officer's go i have 4 factory Colt mags for my Defender and not a minutes trouble from them either..... guess i need to get a couple Wilson's in officer's and see how they do...

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Wilson's here, they run flawless - my 1911 doesn't like the ShootingStar mags for some reason.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I have a bunch of different mags, I have about 10 8 rnd mags, some dirt cheap peices of crap, others $35 - $40... they all seem to operate very reliably.

The cheapies I drill a hole in and push the follower down then run a paperclip through the hole to clean em.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I have a metric crap ton of older Chip McCormick mags from back in the day (still work great btw). I plan on buying 2 new officer size mags for my carry gun, that said money is no object, when I say best, I am looking at function not being gold plated. :):

Thanks

If you have a bunch of Chip McCormick mags that you know work, why not just keep buying those? :dunno:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    All my 1911s have been mag finiky. I even had one that hated Wilsons! :D

For defense and a little cheaper than the Wilsons, I loved the Checkmate "hybrid" feedlip mags. Absolutely phenominal, a 8 rounder that actually worked with 8 rounds of HP or ball! THe 7 rounders were a solid mag too, working in every 1911, even problematic ones we have seen at our range (volunteered my mag so they could shoot). Worked every time.

Plinking/Range purposes (and SHTF general mags) I loved the Metalform 7 rounders. Plainjane, no frills, INEXPENSIVE and worked every time I needed them to with ball and rounder hollow points. Worked surprisingly well with the wadcutters I loaded on occasion.

darngolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    I have had great luck with either Tripp or Wilson magazines in all my 1911's. Other brands have been spotty and are just for range use.

Top Bottom