• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blake2981

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenfield
    I need some help picking out a gunsafe. I'm trying to stay between $4-$500. I've looked at Gander Mountain and they seem to be pretty nice, but there prices seem high sometimes. If anyone knows of a used one, that would be great as well.

The one thing I'm being specific on is that I would like it to have more shelving than capable of holding long guns (I only have two long guns, but I have 5 handguns and a lot of ammo.

Thanks

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    lowes had some for under 400 that well, acts more as a fire safe and to keep honest honest or kids out of what have you. i havent seen them there since christmas time...

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    lowes had some for under 400 that well, acts more as a fire safe and to keep honest honest or kids out of what have you. i havent seen them there since christmas time...

It was on sale for $297 (Reg. $397), the day after Christmas. I think it only lasted a day, but would be worth a phone call.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    For that price range you would be looking more for a gun cabinet than a gun safe. If you shop around you can occasionally find a safe for just under $600.
    Sam's Club and Costco sometimes carries a "safe" for that. (they are the Winchester or Canon brand safes).

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    After reading a lot about gun safes Ive come to the conclusion that the heavy bulky safes that cost a ton are a waste of money IMO. A wooden cabinet that is concealed in a wall or floor or one that is hidden in plain sight is better at protecting your guns and ammo from theft than a huge bulky safe in the open. Also its been discussed here before but most heavy expensive safes are built for fire protection. From what Ive read water damage is way more common than fire and the fire safes don't protect from water damage. If you're afraid your guns will burn up in a fire get insurance. YMMV but that is my opinion

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine

Im gonna second this,
    hands down the best thing going in that price range.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Johnson Safe makes great safes and supports the site but out of your price range at this time. However I do know he has used safes from time to time and can deliver

kaforgey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Camden
    Last night I was in a walmart around Springfield, MO and they had "SentrySafe 14-Gun Safe with Electronic LED Lock" (Model G1459E) for $299 on clearance. They are considered holiday stock that they want to get rid of. It might be worth a look.

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    gun safes

Dunhams has good sales on gun safes every 2-3 weeks. I have a stack on 28 gun safe I got there 2yrs ago for $399 thats water resistant too.

ftbstrd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    safes

I know Dunhams and Big R stores have the Stack On waterproof safes on sale about twice a year for 600. They are also fireproof but I dont remember for how long

I as pretty sure mine is 1400 degrees for 45min for the interior to stay under 300 degrees. (I think thats what the manual said)

choppers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Dick's Sporting Goods had some good sales on gun safes & some were even fire proof right after christmas. I dont know if they are still.

lane440

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    whiteland
    I picked up the one from lowes years back , its ok for keeping the kids safe and i think it would hold up against comon thiefes and crack heads , got 3/4"x 4" lng bolts in concrete holding it down so its not moving .

Top Bottom