What is the Best Firewood for Home Heating?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    In my experience, the best wood that I've used to heat my home with is the wood that's easiest to cut, haul home, and split. When I started to heat with wood, I cut down quite a few "yard trees" as a favor to friends and family. I did get some good wood that way, but when you couple that with stressing about putting the tree on the ground without hitting a building or crushing the rose bushes, and feeling like you've got to clean up all of the limbs, it's not worth it. Cutting standing dead wood from a woodlot where all you have to do is drop it, cut it up, and stack it in the truck, that's the bees knees. I've burned all kinds of wood, but I've never felt like the difference in heat value made as much difference to me as the time/energy/stress it takes from tree to stove.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We really haven't discussed the classics for the OP yet. Native Indiana trees that burn well are White Oak, Red Oak, Pin Oak, Hickory Varieties. Wild Cherry, Tulip Poplar, Beech, Maple (both hard and soft). Sassafras. And a few others I'm forgetting.

My process is to start with a softwood like Sassafras, soft Maple or Poplar to get the fire going and build a good coal bed. Then I can add pieces that take some heat to get started and burn hot like Cherry, Oak, Hickory, Walnut.

Stoves and fireplaces are not as easy to run as those "newfangled" deals that sit outside and heat water. I admit I know very little about them.

Top Bottom