• ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Yep....gotta go pre 90s on the Marlin.

Mine is a late 70s early 80s model...much better than the later ones.

For all that want to find out year of manufacture of your marlin.
    Marlin Manufacture Dates
    or
    http://www.marlin-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2288

Basically if it was made 1971 or newer then it will have 2 numbers at the beginning of the serial number. Take those numbers (25xxxx) as an example. Take 100 (always) subtract the 25 and that leaves 75 as the year of manufacture. (1975).
    The link above also is good for older guns with letters at the beginning of the serial number.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Love the Marlin. That being said I have seen them self-destruct at several cowboy
    shoots.
    You might look into the 35REM.x 1.800 (think that's right) it's a slightly shortened
    version of the 35 Remington . This is supposed to make it deer legal but doesn't take much
    away from it's potential. I don't know much about it but have seen a lot of threads on it in
    reloading & ammunition forum here. Just an idea...

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Why am I not seeing Winchester? Is it because most are chambered in calibers not legal for hunting in Indiana? I have a rancher Winchester 94, but its 30-30 and I got it for like $300 or so. Some of these $8-$900 ranges seem way to high, but maybe that's just because I got mine pretty cheap.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Why am I not seeing Winchester? Is it because most are chambered in calibers not legal for hunting in Indiana? I have a rancher Winchester 94, but its 30-30 and I got it for like $300 or so. Some of these $8-$900 ranges seem way to high, but maybe that's just because I got mine pretty cheap.

I think there is a wide price gap between some of the calibers (rifle vs carbine). For example, the least expensive new Winchester .44 mag I found at Buds is over $1000:

Wincherster Guns 434190124 1892 Lever 44 Remington Magnum 20 $1,014.00 SHIPS FREE

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    for the money Rossi 92 is the best deal.....i like 45 Colt.....the 92's action is the strongest of them all......if you hand load you can load these....270gr Penn Thunder heads and they hit hard!!....1800fps from 20" barrel.....second from the left...

2vxp2r9.jpg

I agree, I have one in .44 mag, and it was on target right out of the box, smooth action, nice fit and finish, classic lines, decent price.

Dave

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    Picked up my Marlin 1894 .44 back in '08 for $390 at an auction. It was the gun I went there for. Thought it was just fine with the factory sights, then upgraded to ghost rings; not a big fan. Ditched those in favor of the current setup of a bushnell 3x9 and couldn't be happier. I love this gun.
    IMG_0211.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    DSC03067.jpg

DSC03056.jpg

1894 SS 44 mag limited edition. 16.25 inch barrel leopold scout scope (I call them advance Iron Sights) and some extras. The case is an old break down shotgun case that fits everything like it was made for the gun itself.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Marlin 1894, Henry Bigboy, Rossi 92

Marlin is in 44 Rem Mag w/ a 3-9x40 scope, taken 4 deer using Win Whitebox. Very accurate groups, handles nicely w/ 20" barrel. Can find Marlin 44 Rem Mags still, 45 Colt going for a premium if you can find them.

Henry Bigboy is in 45Colt. Looks good (purists would cringe cause I have a 3-9x44 scope on it) and also shoots well, accurate. Biggest drawback: HEAVY, but recoil is subsequently lower. Handles +P loads well, but backed off on the powder amt. I did have a guy say the brass could flash in bright sun, he spooked a deer that way. Haven't had it in the woods yet.

Rossi 92 is in 45Colt also. Action notchy at first, but has smoothed out some. My model has the scout scope on it and higher cheek rest. Came with a 2.5x32, but got a stronger pistol LER scope, 4X32 . Handles +P loads well, being a lighter gun it does kick, put a hard rubber recoil pad on it, not necessary with a heavy hunting coat tho. But very easy to handle in the brush. Reasonably accurate (read: minute of deer easily, but not a tack driver - need to shoot it more).

The Marlin was about $550 I think, probably my favorite cuz I've had great luck with it. But I'm itching to try the Rossi 45Colt out too. Wanted the 45 to reach out a bit more w/ +P.

Last edited:

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    If you want a good lever gun then Marlin. Period. Anyone that speaks otherwise is a joker ;)
    That said don't buy a new Marlin go to a gun show and get a used Pre 1990s if you can!

Henry makes a "pretty" gun!

Have you ever handled a Henry? They make basically the smoothest action available in my experience. I've owned 3 marlin lever guns, 2 henry's, and shot one winchester. The Henry was by far the leader in terms of quality, fit/finish.

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    Henry Bigboy is in 45Colt. Looks good (purists would cringe cause I have a 3-9x44 scope on it) and also shoots well, accurate. Biggest drawback: HEAVY, but recoil is subsequently lower. Handles +P loads well, but backed off on the powder amt. I did have a guy say the brass could flash in bright sun, he spooked a deer that way. Haven't had it in the woods yet.

Henry in 45LC is a great deer rifle, but they also come in .357 and .44 mag if you need more power. Accuracy is great because it's heavy to dampen the recoil, but it's a lot of weight to hold steady for long periods of time. Cover the brass with black duct tape while hunting to prevent flashing.

I looked at the Rossi, but it seemed a little light, and the action was a bit clunky. I'm sure once it's been cycle a few thousand times it'd smooth out, and you really can't beat the price.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Any Marlin made by Marlin should be good. It's when Remington took them over that quality issues arose - I think 2 years ago?

I do agree that the Henry action is smooth as silk. I think it's "handsome". :):

tredwing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Being originally from Michigan, I have killed plenty of deer with My 30-30 winchester and Marlin. So they would have to be my favorites. But in Indiana I have used a 45-70 Rossi and my brothers 44 Mag Marlin. Both of which I enjoy shooting as well. So looks like I will be looking to get a 44 Mag rifle next.

tredwing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Any Marlin made by Marlin should be good. It's when Remington took them over that quality issues arose - I think 2 years ago?

I do agree that the Henry action is smooth as silk. I think it's "handsome". :):

Remmington actually took over 4 years ago, but it wasnt really public until 09. Then Remmington stopped production on some of the Marlin rifles for about 12 months to bring them in house to be produced. Not sure why though. I guess they didnt like making money, or maybe wanted to raise the prices on some of there rifles I guess

Bruno8pnk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2010
    My bud and I both have Marlins - older models - I have a mounted scope 150yrds no problem. My bud shoots open sights not bad either. We both use Hornaday Level Action rounds.
    Good luck.

Top Bottom