What is the best self-defense fixed-blade knife for me with less than 3" blade?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I strongly recommend a full 3" fixed blade such as the Tom Brown you've already selected.

Length is important because it dictates distance. Use everything you're allowed to use.

Full tang fixed blade is important because it reduces A) deployment time, B) fine motor skills necessary to the use of folders, and C) likelihood of lock failure under stress.

Grip is vital because your life depends on it. Your Tom Brown selection appears to have excellent grip. Other knives that I can highly recommend from personal experience include the Ka-Bar TDI fixed blade (2.4 inch length) and the SOG Trident Mini, which at 3.15" may not be optional for you but remains an excellent knife. Both have extreme grip, good blades and fall within your price range.

I strongly recommend martial training in the use of knives as well. There are many excellent arts, but after 9 years of studying blade defense I believe Silat knife techniques to be the most reality-based and practical. After mastering the Silat system, you will be competent, confident and far more capable (forgive me if you're already done so - just making suggestions).

James LaFond's THE LOGIC OF STEEL is IMO the best real-life look at the nastiness of defending yourself with a knife. It is ugly - VERY ugly - but needs to be read by anyone who plans on defending themselves with a blade.

Hope that's helpful.

I appreciate this info. I'll check out the book and other info on the Silat techniques. I'm open to any other training information that you have, especially videos and self study.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Heres the best training advise i got BE MEAN. It doesn't matter the weapon just be mean. I slashed stabbed punched and stuck with the butt end of my mora and screamed obscenities but i came out on top.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Just beware: anyone who knows anything about knifefighting knows that (1) knifefighting sucks, and (2) the knife is a weaker weapon than many other weapons. You want a <3" knife for self-defense? You may have a better shot at pleasing your lady with a three incher than defending yourself with a 3" knife.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    ESEE Knives - Randall's Adventure and Training

with a blade lenght of 2.75 inches and a price around 80.00, thats what i'd do, and if you get stopped, or have to use it, it's kinda obvious that its less than 3 inches, so dc's finest womt hassle you, they are razor sharp, have a lifetime warranty

I would have a hard time referring to people who are in the business of trampling citizens' rights while presiding over a crime free-for-all zone 'finest'.

Sha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just beware: anyone who knows anything about knifefighting knows that (1) knifefighting sucks, and (2) the knife is a weaker weapon than many other weapons. You want a <3" knife for self-defense? You may have a better shot at pleasing your lady with a three incher than defending yourself with a 3" knife.

Trust me, I don't WANT to defend myself with a 3 inch knife. I just want to be able to defend myself period, and that's the best option I see with DC's laws.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    You're looking for a self defense knife strickly right? So it just has to be a slicer. So if you go Esee or shadowtech, IMO, paint stripper is a must to remove the coating.

Also, in my limited experience with Esee products, the edges are thick for dutrability, but not slicing.

I've heard many good things about Shadowtech, and really, you're not going to use this knife a ton, you're not going to wail and baton with it. You just need a slicer.

Besides, blasphemous I know, esee isn't the be all of knives.

Blind horse, Battle Horse, some of Bark River's knives. That Swick 3 I mentioned earlier with some custom G-10 scales.

A self defense knife needs to be a slicer (or at least I'd think, lots of cutting and slicing abilities, quick, etc. However I ain't no expert)

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You're looking for a self defense knife strickly right? So it just has to be a slicer. So if you go Esee or shadowtech, IMO, paint stripper is a must to remove the coating.

Also, in my limited experience with Esee products, the edges are thick for dutrability, but not slicing.

I've heard many good things about Shadowtech, and really, you're not going to use this knife a ton, you're not going to wail and baton with it. You just need a slicer.

Besides, blasphemous I know, esee isn't the be all of knives.

Blind horse, Battle Horse, some of Bark River's knives. That Swick 3 I mentioned earlier with some custom G-10 scales.

A self defense knife needs to be a slicer (or at least I'd think, lots of cutting and slicing abilities, quick, etc. However I ain't no expert)

Haha, how dare you! :laugh:

I agree with what M67 is saying. I would not want a coated blade or something designed for working rather than defense such as an ESEE. I would look for something with a thin edge and designed for swatting rather than stabbing. Think of the motion you make swatting at a bee, that's more likely how you are going to naturally move in a defensive situation under stress. IMO, if I were looking for a purely defensive blade, I think a Karambit would be my pick. One that falls within your >3" blade requirement would be the FOX KUKU HANUM (Fixed blade - FOX KUKU HANUMAN FIGHTING KARAMBIT PTFE COATED BLADE - Fox Knives USA). I have a pretty big collection of Karambits and it's among the most wicked.

Lot's of other less lethal options to look into like maybe a Green Man coin sap, Surefire pocket light, Benchmade / Surefire pen, etc...... But probably the best thing you could do is learn how to fight with your hands if you haven't already. With what little training I've had in Krav Maga, I feel much more comfortable if I where to be thrown into a situation where I had to go hands on with someone.

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    In my experience it is nothing like swatting a bee and is far from natural. Think prison shanking/slashing. We're not having a respectable sword fight its a mad fight for your life.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Trust me, I don't WANT to defend myself with a 3 inch knife. I just want to be able to defend myself period, and that's the best option I see with DC's laws.

Since you've been researching DC laws, are batons allowed under their draconian rule?

If so, a collapsible baton (and the skill to use it) would make a superior defensive tool.

sopwith21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Indianapolis

Disclaimer: I have not been in a knife fight. I have absolutely no experience in it. FWIW, for nearly a decade I have trained in the defensive use of knives (live fights, full contact, rubber blades) and studied bladed self defense intensely. Some will say that makes one qualified to comment; others will say I know nothing of the topic without real combat experience. I make no claim either way.

Regarding the quote above, I agree entirely with point #1.

For point #2, I suggest otherwise. Armed with a blade within a limited distance, I will strike first in the majority of encounters against firearm-wielding aggressors. This is not a guess. It is from repeated testing in controlled conditions using a training knife (rubber blade) against a gun firing blanks. IMHO a blade is only a "weaker weapon" when distance renders it ineffective.

Here are some possible scenarios:

SCENARIO 1: Bladed defender is attacked by one or more unarmed thugs.
    POSSIBLE OUTCOME A: Thugs see the knife and flee (I have had this experience personally) preventing a fight entirely.
    POSSIBLE OUTCOME B: First unarmed thug gets cut and then his companions flee.
    The first unarmed attacker will always take a cut when assaulting a trained defender with a blade. An unarmed attacker will usually choose a different victim, or he is a genuine idiot.

SCENARIO 2: Bladed defender is attacked by attacker armed with club, stick, baseball bat or similar weapon
    OUTCOME: Attacker chooses a weaker victim, or, attack continues and a well-trained defender has a fighting chance. He may still lose, but his odds increase greatly.

SCENARIO 3: Bladed defender is attacked by bad guy with firearm.
    OUTCOME A: Defender closes distance and pre-emptively attacks. He may or may not ultimately win, but he has succeeded in altering a situation that would have certainly led to his death by shooting. Rather than being gunned down, at least he now has a chance to prevail hand to hand.
    OUTCOME B: Distance is too great for defender to close. He is better off running. Depending on whose statistics you believe, more than 90% of all shots in gunfights are misses. This distance gives the defender 1) a head start, and 2) good odds of not being hit.

For those who say, "Well, what about a whole gang of armed thugs who are determined to attack whether you're armed or not? Huh? What then?" In that case, you're dead even if you're carrying a pump action 12 gauge so there's no point in preparing for such a scenario.

While I would not choose a 3" knife for a sole defensive weapon, it can truly be a serious deterrent. The odds of a single unarmed aggressor overpowering a defender are almost zero.

When combined with a powerful, blinding flashlight and good training, an unarmed assault against a bladed defender is a death wish.

Last edited:

sopwith21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I appreciate this info. I'll check out the book and other info on the Silat techniques. I'm open to any other training information that you have, especially videos and self study.

I've done a lot of knife fighting courses, and these folks are without doubt the best I've ever worked with - Indianapolis Martial Arts & Self Defense by Self Defense Systems Inc.

Ask for Jerry Smith or Jamie Billings. They are both excellent. I think Jerry has a video series on DVD.

Another instructor that I can personally recommend for knife training is Marc MacYoung of Castle Rock, CO.

Michael Janich also has some material that I like, and some that I really don't. Ditto for Luke Holloway. Look them both up on YouTube, just be aware that they teach some things that I find unconvincing (and some that are great). Rick Tew is also very reality-based and I like a lot of his stuff. Note - FWIW, I have not studied personally under either Holloway or Tew. I'm commenting on their online material only.

Here are a few tips to look for in an instructor or DVD series:

1. Look for an instructor who teaches a "blade first" stance. The attacker generally has his off hand in the lead with his blade in the rear hand. That's of necessity. But I am convinced that staying "behind your blade" is best for the defender (and as the good guys, we will always be defending, not aggressing). Always make the attacker come through your blade. Never offer your off hand first.
    2. If you mention the terms "circular pattern" and "umbrella" and they have a blank look, shop elsewhere.
    3. If they teach a single block followed by a series of quick cuts, shop elsewhere... you won't live long enough to get your attacker to stand still and wait for you to cut him five times.
    4. If they block with the flat of their hand or the inside of their forearm, shop elsewhere. Nearly all blocks should be with the outside of the forearm and the back of the hand turned toward the attacker. If you lose the tendons and blood vessels on the inside of either wrist/forearm, it is game over for you.
    5. Empty hand knife disarms may be helpful if I'm cornered, and yes, I have learned them and practice faithfully. However, if I ever have to face a knife and I am disarmed, my first option is RUNNING LIKE A MAD FOOL, not fighting. Anyone who teaches anything else is suicidal.
    6. While knife vs knife scenarios are extremely rare and undesirable, they are the primary scenario for which we prepare. Why? A) If I'm unarmed, see Point #5. B) If he is armed, I'll still attempt to run if the opportunity exists and only fight if cornered. C) If I train hard for knife vs knife, I will have no problem dealing with an unarmed attacker. The basic techniques are the same. So you might as well train for the more difficult scenario.

Hope something in the above is useful. Good luck.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    For point #2, I suggest otherwise. Armed with a blade within a limited distance, I will strike first in the majority of encounters against firearm-wielding aggressors.

I was thinking of non-firearm weapons, i.e., weapons that are not as strictly controlled as guns.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    Wear a baseball hat, stick a mitt in your back pocket and carry a bat around. :dunno:

Tell the cops if they ask you are either leaving from or going to a game.

fundy87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2013
    Southern Indy
    Check out the benchmark backpacker, I heavily beat the snot out of that knife with no issues, I even had several friends buy them because they liked mine.

Top Bottom