What is the defacto standard distance for basing accuracy for a CCW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I've always thought if you can hit a 4" circle at 7 yards that's good enough for my small carry gun.

After that it is really more about ergos and reliability than accuracy.

Should I be practicing at 10 yards? More?

What size grouping?

What is good enough?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You should be shooting as fast as you can make fist-sized groups, regardless of your shooting distance.

If your groups are tighter, shoot faster. If they are more spread out, shoot slower and work on getting faster.

Changing your distance from the target will simply change how fast you shoot.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wow this is about the best answer I have seen for this question. I have always considered pistol distances to be 3 to 15 yards. Heck 3 yards might even be to far away.

You should be shooting as fast as you can make fist-sized groups, regardless of your shooting distance.

If your groups are tighter, shoot faster. If they are more spread out, shoot slower and work on getting faster.

Changing your distance from the target will simply change how fast you shoot.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    That would be some good shooting. Especially with a snub nosed revolver or pocket pistol. I will have to practice some more.

I get your point about a snub nose or pocket pistol, but I don't think those guns should be primary carry guns anyway.

Some of the Seymour PD guys and I had a little "shoot off" after class one time. Three of us got first shot hits at about 120 yards on a steel silhouette. Big Dot sights and all. I used a stock Glock 19, but the SPD guys get bonus points because they did it with Sig DAK triggers.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I should add that fist-sized groups are what I strive to achieve. Doesn't always work out that way.
    :):

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Shooting a fist sized group is a fine standard. Shooting someone rushing me has never seemed like too much of a challenge. The shot that I try and practice for is the 12 yard hostage situation that needs to be resolved with one well placed shot. This stresses me out particulary if the hostage is someon I care about. Can you do this under pressure? Have you ever done force on force where this situation was practiced? It is an eye opening experience.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My CCW I work with out to 25 yards. I spend the majority of my time at the 7 yard line, sometimes even closer, working on presentation and controlled pairs. I also strive for fist size groups, but dont get too upset with myself if the magazine ends up in a group that takes an open hand to cover.

My wife tends to work more on the 5-7 yard lines, but she doesnt spend as much time on the trigger as I do, and hasnt been shooting nearly as long. she still looks for the fist size groups, and usually surpasses that and frequently will put double taps in one oblong hole. I am working on getting her to step back a bit, to continue to challenge her skills.

Top Bottom