What is the goose population like in NE Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    I believe this question belongs here because I was taught to cherish our natural resources, hunt and help to manage the wildlife populations, and of course eat good wild game. I am currently working in Kansas and have been here enough times to know that the SE area of KS has a decent migration of Canadian geese and a small population of Snows. This year has been an explosion of the migrating population that I would estimate at 10 fold. Currently here there is no snow cover and much of the water has thawed though it was frozen for a while.

If any of you are familiar with the lakes region of NE Indiana you are familiar with the goose population there and the preponderance of geese that have taken up permanent residence over the last 20 to 25 years. All those people who think they are cute and feed them, then a few years later they are putting up fences and chasing them away because they have basically taken over.

So I am wondering what any of you have seen this winter, in particular the NE portion of the state, with regards to the goose population. I have always considered wildlife and the ability to harvest it as part of my preparedness should SHTF. I would like to know if the depth of snow and freezing of the waters has driven even the resident geese southward this year? I am wondering aloud if the largest freeze on the Great Lakes in three decades or more has driven more geese south, as well as the depth of snow in the Dakotas?

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Still some here in the Fort, but their population has dwindled from years past. I am hoping that the DNR's great idea of non migrating Canadians will decide to start migrating!

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    Thanks to those of you who chimed in. Wildlife migration has always been an interest of mine and knowing how Canadian geese can become a PITA when they DON'T migrate is also intriguing.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I have a new lab that is on fire for retrieving. He did well on Pheasant this fall, but I did not get out for waterfowl. If anyone in NWI has access to some private ponds or farm fields to hunt geese in 2014, and you want someone to work a retriever for you ( and I will shoot some birds if you insisit) let me know.
    DanO

Top Bottom