What is the Highest Capacity PUMP shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    I'm looking to get a pump shotgun. I would prefer a tactical version with a pistol grip and pic rail. I was looking at a Weatherby PA-459, and it looks great and has great reviews, but it only has 5 capacity. Is that normal? or are there other higher capacity options out there? Also, I don't want to spend more than 500. Thanks for any info!

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    You can get an extension tube for standard pump guns like Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. That gives you somewhere between one to four more rounds, depending on what you install. Go to their websites.

Three gun folks sometimes install these huge magazine extensions (they look like a fat cylinder that attach to the front end of the magazine tube) that give them -- oh, I dunno -- 10 more rounds on top of that. Does anyone know for sure?

You can also just get a Saiga with a drum magazine. But that's not a pump gun.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Here you go

[video=youtube;_AvgLjTehnM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AvgLjTehnM[/video]

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I'd consider a Kel-tec KSG, if it turns out to be a reliable gun. In Louie Awerbuck's words, it has to prove itself. But its design seems really useful for defense. It's high capacity. And instead of taking seconds to do the "select a slug" drill, you can just load one tube with buck and the other with slugs, and it's just a switch to go from one to the other.

dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Honestly, I've been wanting a Saiga 12 but they're pretty expensive. So I figured i'd settle for a tactical pump. (cheaper) and also reliability. I've been reading some more and i guess the weatherby pa-459 is a clone of tristar cobra... which i haven't heard anything about. I kinda don't want a 870 or 500 because everyone and their brother has one. And i also didn't realize that the shorter barrel shotguns have less capacity (DUH) lol. I am set on a 19" or shorter barrel... so i'm going to have to settle for 5 or 6 round capacity. Just a matter of what i'm going to get now.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    How do you switch from buckshot to slug with the drum magazine? I guess you'll need another gun, or maybe just Dutch load the drum?

TheWiredFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    There is a reason that 'everyone' has an 870 or mossberg 500. I don't like following the crowd, but if i pick up a shotgun, it would be an 870. You can get the 'home defense' 870, or the 870 express syn 7. I think both are 18.5 in barrel and both have extended tubes to hold 6+1 or 7+1 and run under $500. As for a rail and pistol grip... that is what the aftermarket is for. Tons of accessories for the 870 and 500.

The KSG looks promising, but hard to find. And i don't know pricing on it.
    Re: 'you can flip a switch and change ammunition' - this is a bad idea in practice. If you rack a slug in, then the situation changes and you want buckshot, you flip the switch to change, pull the trigger but out comes a slug. Or you flip the switch and rack a good slug out onto the ground to get buckshot. I'd load all the same type of ammo.

My thoughts.
    TheWiredFox

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Something else to consider when going with an "off brand" shotgun:

Replacement parts / parts upgrades.

Go down to your local gun shop and see if you can buy a mag tube extension for a TriStar or a Weatherby.

Go down to the shop and see if you can buy an aftermarket short-length-of-pull stockset for one...

Go see if you can buy another barrel for a TriStar shotgun...

Heaven forbid you actually break something in the innards of an off-brand shotgun. Good luck getting in touch with the importer to see if they can help you...

There is HUGE aftermarket support for the Remington and Mossberg products. if you can't find it at a local shop, you can have it delivered in a week.

With the exception of 18" barrels, everything else is, generally, very very easy to find and buy.

-J-

dleach1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I might go with a Benelli Super Nova... Does anyone have any experience with one? are they good?

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Re: 'you can flip a switch and change ammunition' - this is a bad idea in practice. If you rack a slug in, then the situation changes and you want buckshot, you flip the switch to change, pull the trigger but out comes a slug. Or you flip the switch and rack a good slug out onto the ground to get buckshot. I'd load all the same type of ammo.

I don't know how KSG works, so maybe I made some incorrect assumptions. But in the standard "select a slug" drill, you do sacrifice one buckshot (or whatever round you have currently chambered) in order to load a slug. So you have to do something like: load a slug, eject the round in the chamber, load the slug into the chamber. This is a complicated process, but if you have to do this once the target is beyond a certain range for your gun -- if you are loaded with buckshot. So I was intrigued by the possibility that the KSG could simplify this drill.

One solution is just to load up with only slugs, and I'm assuming that's what you're suggesting. But a shotgun with 8 rounds of slugs doesn't seem as advantageous as an AR-15 with 30 rounds of .223 for most situations.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I might go with a Benelli Super Nova... Does anyone have any experience with one? are they good?

Benelli makes some of the finest shotguns you can buy. The Nova and Super Nova are a great entry level Benellis. I do not own one simply because like has been said already the aftermarket is PACKED with stuff for 870s and 500s. It you just want the gun and plan to do very little personalization then the Benelli is a good choice. My Uncle has a Super Nova and I think it is a fantastic shotgun for the money. But I like to personalize my guns so I got a Mossy 590.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Benelli makes some of the finest shotguns you can buy. The Nova and Super Nova are a great entry level Benellis. I do not own one simply because like has been said already the aftermarket is PACKED with stuff for 870s and 500s. It you just want the gun and plan to do very little personalization then the Benelli is a good choice. My Uncle has a Super Nova and I think it is a fantastic shotgun for the money. But I like to personalize my guns so I got a Mossy 590.
    i dont own a benelli, why? cause i dont have the money for the one i want damn.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I got very lucky and found a KSG for $829 a couple weeks ago. Initially I planned to have 00 Buck in one tube and slugs in the other, but the more I think about it I am tending to think it is smarter to just go all the same load in both tubes for the reasons listed in this thread.

As for reliability, I haven't shot it yet, but I have cycled it dozens of times using dummy rounds in both tubes and I have yet to have it not properly cycle, and I'm not using any kind of grip on the bottom rail either. I've had several pump shotguns, my favorite until now was probably my Mossberg 590A1, but the KSG simply can do things that no other regular pump shotgun can do. The benefit of double capacity and a 26.1" OAL cannot be ignored..

More feedback to come when I can get her out to the range.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I got very lucky and found a KSG for $829 a couple weeks ago. Initially I planned to have 00 Buck in one tube and slugs in the other, but the more I think about it I am tending to think it is smarter to just go all the same load in both tubes for the reasons listed in this thread.

What load do you plan to use?

If you plan to use buckshot, what happens when the target moves beyond range? (For many shotguns, their effective range of the buckshot is no more than 7-10 yards. After that the pattern gets too big, and you're accountable for every pellet in a self-defense situation. How does your KSG pattern?)

If you plan to use slugs, what makes you pick a shotgun over an AR-15 with 30 rounds?

Top Bottom