• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    What is the state law for ID or "carding" for alcohol purchases. I know they made it where everyone had to show ID at one point recently, but didn't they change that shortly after to something like "if you look 45 and under" you must show ID?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Indiana Code 7.1-5-10
    IC 7.1-5-10-23
    Purchases for consumption off the licensed premises; proof of age
    Sec. 23. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a permittee or an employee or agent of a permittee to recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally sell, barter, exchange, provide, or furnish another person who is or reasonably appears to be less than forty (40) years of age an alcoholic beverage for consumption off the licensed premises without first requiring the person to produce:
    (1) a driver's license;
    (2) an identification card issued under IC 9-24-16-1 or a similar card issued under the laws of another state or the federal government; or
    (3) a government issued document;
    bearing the person's photograph and birth date showing that the person is at least twenty-one (21) years of age.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Some places still will not sell to you if you don't show ID. I JUST saw a sign the other day but I don't know where I was. It basically said that you must show ID because our cashiers can't always tell who is over 40. That is not the exact wording but that was the gist of it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Doesn't mean they can't ask you for ID, even if you do look 75. Private businesses can ask anyone for ID when buying, and many supported the previous law and had their proponents speak out against the recent change.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Some places still will not sell to you if you don't show ID. I JUST saw a sign the other day but I don't know where I was. It basically said that you must show ID because our cashiers can't always tell who is over 40. That is not the exact wording but that was the gist of it.
    Marsh is like that.

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    Speedway gas stations are like that. We don't have an option except to check ID's because the register requires the cashiers to put a birthday in when prompted.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I understand that... As a private business you have that right.

I just wanted clarification of the law. My in-laws, who are visiting from Eastern Europe were at the Irvington Halloween festival this weekend. They weren't allowed in the Sunking beer tent because they didn't have ID. I asked for them to use a little discretion as they are obviously over 21. I got a Donnie Baker type response - "it's a state law!"

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I understand that... As a private business you have that right.

I just wanted clarification of the law. My in-laws, who are visiting from Eastern Europe were at the Irvington Halloween festival this weekend. They weren't allowed in the Sunking beer tent because they didn't have ID. I asked for them to use a little discretion as they are obviously over 21. I got a Donnie Backer type response - "it's a state law!"

No, it is Not the Law BUT the association that many of these retailers belong to Want it to be the Law and were very unhappy when the Legislature saw the error of their ways and corrected it.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I took my daughter out for her 21st. birthday on the 23rd. and they didn't even card her for her Mango Margarita. She was disapointed. I was shocked! I get carded when I go to the grocery store. I guess it's because I look so young! :D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I just bought beer at Casey's General Store and when I tried to show her my I.D. she said, "thank you, but I don't need that anymore." I asked her when that changed and she said "since July 1st, as long as I know you are 21 or over, I don't have to check." She has been working there a long time and she knows my face and that I'm over 21, so maybe that is why she didn't card me, because I definitely don't look 40 (or 45, whichever it is).

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I can see both sides of the argument but I see no problem with stores having the discretion to give their regular customers the courtesy of not making them pull out ID every time they come in.

fochman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Our local Kroger still checks ID. I've started buying from a competitor that doesn't.

Top Bottom