• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I was thinking about this as not everyone has $800-2500 to put on a self-defense handgun.

This can be a good source of information for those seeking a reliable inexpensive self-defense handgun.

So what handgun do you personally have experience with that is reliable, and have had no malfunctions with at least 500rds fired including self-defense ammunition.

Post your experiences with the above criteria.

Make and model of firearm.

How many rounds of ammunition including self-defense ammunition you have fired without any malfunctions.

Ammo wise include the brand, weight of bullet, and type of bullet you used.
    Example:
    Federal 124gr FMJ
    Federal 124gr HST

Do you recommend it as an under $400 reliable self-defense handgun?

Last edited:

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    While this doesn't meet your round count I don't believe a revolver needs that to be considered reliable.

Fit and finish were pretty good and cylinder lockup was tight with no play (amazing for a cheap revolver).

I bought a slightly used Taurus 605 from an INGO member and have put about 200 rounds through it with no issues. I've got less than $275.00 including the Hogue monogrips I installed. I've shot 125 gr reloads (Berry FP), 125 gr Hornady American Gunner and 125 gr Golden Saber and shoots to POA with what I've shot through it. The American Gunner were snappy (1450 fps) but manageable while the others (1200 fps) were easier to shoot.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    At least 2000 rounds down range from 3 different ported PSA Daggers that I now consider completely reliable.
    For the most part New Republic ball, 115GR and all tested with 50 rounds of 124 GR HST. I have had stoppages but all attributed to mags or ammo. All of mine were purchased slide and frame separately but complete guns ship with Magpul mags. The Magpul mags don't seem completely reliable but with Glock mags mine have all run like Glocks.
    A Dagger WITH an optic cut can be had for less than 400 allowing you to have a Dagger with an optic mounted for the price of an MOS Glock, no optic.
    Just an observation but I'm always skeptical of people that say they run thousands of rounds without a malfunction. It's been my experience that malfunctions are 99% ammo, mags or operator and unavoidable. I see low powder charge and hard primers, on an irregular basis with practice ammo so malfunctions are and unfortunate reality.
    Reliability is a relative term, anything mechanical can and will eventually fail with enough use. The heart of, as well as the weak link in a semi-auto pistol IS the magazine and that's why I carry and train with a spare. YMMV

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I know you said $400, but Honest Outlaw had some good ones in this video:

A bit before COVID I ended up buying a Canik TP9SF Elite. Basically a G19 clone built around the Walther P99 pre-cocked striker fired trigger (which was AWESOME). Fantastic gun and I paid $350 for it. Nowadays they're more expensive and you can't find that exact model easily unless you want to buy it used. Here is a current model gun that would be a good deal:

Meets your price point.

I don't pay attention to the ammo I use, but I probably had 2,000 or more rounds through the gun, shooting mostly Blazer Brass 115gr, occasionally 124gr and Federal Aluminum case ammo 115gr. I also put 2 mags through it of my normal carry ammo, Federal HST 147gr.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I would consider another Taurus in that price range. I had a 24/7 Compact in .45 I traded to my dad. Put 5-600 rds through it of 230gr ball and 230gr JHP. No issues. Friend had a couple G2's and a G3 and they have been good to him as well.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Was gonna say RIA 1911s, but the ones I've had, did have issues prior to building. That, and building them takes the expense above-budget.

I'm happy with my little LCP II that I carry when a 1911 isn't practical. I don't have a helluva lot of rounds through mine yet, but I did through an original LCP I owned some years ago. They both seem like solid pistols.

So far the LCP II has a bunch of Winchester White Box and Hornady XTP through it with no issues.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Does the price have to be retail?

If not, I am going with a used Smith & Wesson M&P. "Back in the day", I ran alot of rounds through M&Ps with an extremely low failure rate.

If we are going with new/retail cost - CZ P10C. Not even close to the numbers of rounds as the M&Ps but its been utterly reliable and they can be had new cheap.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The girl and I both have Taurus G3C pistols, hers is a daily and mine is a once in awhile. Both were under $250.00 each out the door and came with 3 mags each.
    Hers has a few hundred 124 grain carrys through it. Mine is well over a thousand jacketed handloads through it.
    I dont recall any issues with either of them.
    Its the cheapest handgun ive ever bought, I bought it just to see what it will take. Ive run a few hundred nato pressure rounds through it. Not a glitch.
    As bad as I want to bash and shame Taurus, I just cant do it.
    Its hard to say, but, Those pistols just work.

Its nice that a few companys can keep the price down so all the masses can own one.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Does the price have to be retail?

If not, I am going with a used Smith & Wesson M&P. "Back in the day", I ran alot of rounds through M&Ps with an extremely low failure rate.

If we are going with new/retail cost - CZ P10C. Not even close to the numbers of rounds as the M&Ps but its been utterly reliable and they can be had new cheap.
    No MSRP.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    For CC under $400 new, I'd vouch for Shield Plus. ~600 rnds of Fed/Rem/WWB/Norma 115gr ball and ~112 rnds Speer Gold Dot 115gr. Zero hiccups of any kind.

For pocket carry, LCP II/Max. Between the two, ~700 rounds various mfr ball ammo 95-100 gr, 150 rounds of Critical Defense FTX. Zero hiccups of any kind.

Cannot vouch, I don't own one, G3C for "budget" self defense and IMO, they got the size right for compact equals concealed carry.

For slightly over $400, I'd recommend the CZ P-07 (DA/SA/Decocker) which I bought specifically for AIWB carry. Currently at 500 rnds Rem/Fed/WWB and 67 rounds Speer Gold Dot 115 gr. Zero hiccups of any kind.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I'll vouch for the Shield and the M&P 2.0. Both can be had for $399 if you watch the sale ads and web sales. My Shield Plus was $409 out the door after rebate and I've put well over 1000 rounds of 124 gr American Gunner and various other 124 gr factory JHPs plus S&B, PMC and Magtech 124 JMP. Shoots to POA and I've got four 13 round factory mags that shoot without issue.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The Shield or the M&P are superior choices. I have carried various Shields and M&Ps since they were first introduced around 2007, and I can honestly say that I have never had issues. M&Ps can often be found under $500 during sales, like the upcoming black Friday sales.

These videos from GarandTumb can be considered anecdotal, but they also prove to M&P neigh Sayers that the M&P can match or exceed anything else on the market.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The Shield or the M&P are superior choices. I have carried various Shields and M&Ps since they were first introduced around 2007, and I can honestly say that I have never had issues. M&Ps can often be found under $500 during sales, like the upcoming black Friday sales.

These videos from GarandTumb can be considered anecdotal, but they also prove to M&P neigh Sayers that the M&P can match or exceed anything else on the market.

More evidence:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Canik TP9SF, 2500 no failures on everything from Tula to hot 124gn.

Beretta 92, 2300 no failures on everything.

Gen 1 Shield, 1200 no failures on 115, 124, 147 after about a 150 round period to smooth out a weird slide sticking issue when new.

USP45, probably 1000 with no failures, every variety of crummy cast and plated reload.

USP9c, only about 600 but completely failure free from the box.

HK and Beretta stuff is pricier but Canick and S&W hold their own. Lord knows I watched M&Ps run all day long at those Parabellum matches.

Top Bottom