• ...and so much more!
  • What do you think is the "Supreme" handgun round

• Total voters

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Not what do you carry, what do you think is "best." Please, comment on WHY you think it's best. Given all the different uses handguns can be put to, I think the reasoning should be interesting. If I leave a caliber off, write it in and tell us why it's better than the ones listed! I've only got so many options I can include.

My vote for "best" is .357 Magnum. It's unparalelled as a defensive round, it can also be loaded to be great for hunting small to medium game, provide protection against nasty critters up to black bears, great for target shooting, can even be used to great effect in competition. I'm not even adding in the fact that guns chambered for this caliber can also shoot the .38 Specials. Just the .357 all by itself can do all the above. It is, IMHO, the most versatile round out there, and doesn't sacrifice excellence to achieve that versatility. Handloading really makes the most out of all the different things a .357 can do, and be great at.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I picked .45 because I'm old fashioned I figure it's relatively inexspensive, easy to find, and will knock the holy living s**t out of anybody the gets shot with it.:ingo:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I voted for the Magnum side of the .38/.357. Ammo is everywhere, guns that eat it are everywhere. It's a honeypie of a round if you download it, but devastating if you upload it + heavy bullet.

I'd have gone with 10mm if the above wasn't there. Probably one of the best auto-loader calibers out there in terms of performance numbers. Hindrances = cost and availability of platforms. I've never shot one, though.

Yes, .44mag is a definite beast, but I have a feeling that controlled pairs are kind of slow and difficult, no matter the platform used.

You add in the .50AE in the Desert Eagle pistol, though... Clear winner. lol

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    dirty-harry.jpg

Need I say more?

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I choose the 38/357. I feel it is the most versatile rounds around in a good 4" revolver. Low powered .38s for small game and practice. High powered .357 for larger game and self defense.

If I could have only one handgun, it would be a good 4" revolver in .357.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I chose the .45. Just because it's been around forever. The original Colt 1911 .45 pretty much changed the world. I happen to carry a 9mm, but I can hit a lot better with my .45. I just wish I could carry my Glock 21 better.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I noticed that at no point did you say "largest", "most powerful", or "causes the target to bleed out 5 minutes after they bludgeon you to death with your empty magazine".

So, I voted 40S&W because the research I've done shows it delivers the most kinetic energy to the target, from a full-size barrel, within pistol distances, of any of the normal length pistol rounds (45ACP length & shorter).

That said, I'd trade in my 40S&W XDm for a 10mm XDm any time. I'm ham-fisted & already using the fat back-strap, so a larger grip wouldn't bother me. In fact...I have a problem with putting too much finger over the trigger anyhow.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    My vote for the best is the .825 Magnum: Pictured second from the left in this image.
    825_express_mag.jpg

.44mag | .825mag | .825std | 3.57mag

Because quite honestly, all handgun calibers suck.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    The new .825 is based on a rimmed, straight sided case. Here are the .825's vital measurements:

Bullet diameter - .823"
    Case material- "High tension" steel
    Maximum case length - 2.2105" (nominal case length 2.210")
    Rim diameter - 0.925"
    Rim thickness - 0.095"
    Head diameter - 0.865"
    Neck diameter - 0.860"
    Overall cartridge length - 2.850"
    Barrel twist - 1 turn in 18"
    Primer type - Large Rifle Magnum
    Maximum average pressure - 82,500 psi

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The new .825 is based on a rimmed, straight sided case. Here are the .825's vital measurements:

Bullet diameter - .823"
    Case material- "High tension" steel
    Maximum case length - 2.2105" (nominal case length 2.210")
    Rim diameter - 0.925"
    Rim thickness - 0.095"
    Head diameter - 0.865"
    Neck diameter - 0.860"
    Overall cartridge length - 2.850"
    Barrel twist - 1 turn in 18"
    Primer type - Large Rifle Magnum
    Maximum average pressure - 82,500 psi

I'm guessing the launching platform will look similar to:
    800px-M-32_Grenade_Launcher.jpg

Think I could find an IWB MTAC for that? :D

Last edited:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I typically carry a .45 most of the time and feel very, very confident carrying that round. BUT voted .44 mag for the best all around handgun round. Not sure if you can beat it if you have the need to shoot just about anything that maybe threatening you (or your hunting). I don't have one yet but would love to someday own a .44 mag Handgun and Lever gun :draw:

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Not what do you carry, what do you think is "best." Please, comment on WHY you think it's best. Given all the different uses handguns can be put to, I think the reasoning should be interesting. If I leave a caliber off, write it in and tell us why it's better than the ones listed! I've only got so many options I can include.

My vote for "best" is .357 Magnum. It's unparalelled as a defensive round, it can also be loaded to be great for hunting small to medium game, provide protection against nasty critters up to black bears, great for target shooting, can even be used to great effect in competition. I'm not even adding in the fact that guns chambered for this caliber can also shoot the .38 Specials. Just the .357 all by itself can do all the above. It is, IMHO, the most versatile round out there, and doesn't sacrifice excellence to achieve that versatility. Handloading really makes the most out of all the different things a .357 can do, and be great at.

:+1: Very well said. Same reasons I voted for it.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville

:+1: And the availability of shot loads as well. S&W with 4" or 5" barrel would be perfect all round gun.

Top Bottom