What is the warmest winter hunting boot/sock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    My feet get cold in winter...extremely (two pair of wool socks) cold. I am getting back into hunting and purchasing "quality" gear for my son and I. We will be walking through deep snow, then sitting in one position for hours. I need gear to cover that. I seek the actual experience and tips from those in the know. Please try to be to the point and specific to the topic.

From what I've researched so far online, I know we need two pair of socks, one moisture wicking, one high quality wool outer sock. Waterproof boots, but no galoshes so that we don't slip slide down hillsides or twist ankles in the brush. I recently read thinsulate boots need a minimum 1000g if hunter is going to be sitting in one spot for a long time.

I know there are heated disposable liners on the market, I have tried them and agree they do help. On a side note, I love those little hand warmers. I throw one in each pocket and its like a little finger sauna when you need. However, I would rather have permanent gear that I don't have to upgrade later and/or functions when I need it. I even thought about getting the rechargeable heated soles, but don't know if they work that well.

Thank you in advance for your help and "first hand" accounts. To be clear, I am not interested in the best value boots, I am wealthy;). No seriously, I would rather spend $200 on a pair of boots, than $100 and not want to stay out hunting because my toes are so cold. Not that looks are much of a concern, but I would also prefer non-camo patterns, that way we can wear them during other occasions as well. To each their own, but the camo winter coat at the grocery store just never was the look I was going for.

But, maybe that's why I'm asking for assistance from guys like that now:).

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Having sat in the stand this past weekend with my 10 year old Son... What I have found that works is a good pair of wool or wool blend socks and thinsulate lined boots that are NOT too tight. Also, get the 'stick-on' version of the heat pack 'toe warmers'. We stick them in the arch of our feet on the outside of the wool socks. Make sure your boots are not to tight so you don't reduce circulation. Went all last winter during the bitter cold with this setup and no problems.

Just my. :twocents:

WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    Best socks to date are the Redhead lifetime guarantee wool blend from Bass Pro.

Best Cold weather boots to date are the Saskatchewan Pac boots from Cabelas. They aren't cheap and are not the easiest to walk in, but they keep my feet warm. Bonus: They make me 2 inches taller

I have also used disposable warmers in the past but started getting away from them on my feet. Put boots on early, hike to stand, feet on fire and sweaty. That's not a good recipe for warm feet. Thermacell makes footwarmer insoles that are rechargeable, but I've not had experience with those.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    My outdoor winter activities run the gamut from being still for hours to heavy steady walking. I have several different shoe/sock combos tailored to the outside conditions and my planned activities. I am very much against any artificial heat sources, I think your body adapts to them and makes it tougher to do without them. Watching coworkers use artificial heat sources reinforces that notion. There are too many variables to say what is best, but if you plan on wearing multiple pairs of socks than wear those socks when you shop for boots. You will probably want to buy boots 1 size larger than normal.

wideroad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    A lot of people really like the Muck Arctic Pro for really cold weather, some have also mentioned the new Under Armour GAW is working well for them too. If you search on youtube for hunting boot reviews you should get some good insight.

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    If I am going to be sitting in a blind or stand I use boot blankets they are light to pack in and a hand warmer in each one if its real cold. If I am walking my feet are good its just when I stop and sit for a time. This works for me.

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    Great insight. Keep it coming guys. The boots must be comfortable to walk in, or we wont wear them eventually:). Need to find some good moisture wicking socks too. Have found that the sweat to cold wet swamp foot can happen too often as well.

Is boot blankets a brand name or just a generic term?

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    Ok....almost an hour later...and 75% sure on buying the danner 1200gram gxt pronghorn boots. Anyone got a reason not to? Besides the cost I mean. This would be my winter only boot, so its use in warmer months is not a concern fyi.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I wear 1200 Gram Thinsulate Rocky Blizzard Stalker's and they keep my feet pretty warm. If it's really going to be cold I might put some toe warmers in the boots, but they do a good job on their own. They retail for about $150 but I got mine at MC Sports on clearance for about $69. I buy them one size too big, and wear thick wool socks with them always.

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    I wear 1200 Gram Thinsulate Rocky Blizzard Stalker's and they keep my feet pretty warm. If it's really going to be cold I might put some toe warmers in the boots, but they do a good job on their own. They retail for about $150 but I got mine at MC Sports on clearance for about $69. I buy them one size too big, and wear thick wool socks with them always.

Those are the 25% option...I like that they aren't just in camo too.

LINEOFDEFENSE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    LAFAYETTE, IN
    Great article. Never thought about buying overinsulated boots just causing sweat/cold feet in the end...Maybe 1200g is too much. Great, back to uncertain what to buy:)..

I found this to be a pretty good article on cold weather boots, from Cabela's:

BGFTRST: Got Cold Feet? – Pac Boot Buyer's Guide : Cabela's

Obviously, the article endorses boots from Cabela's, but it provides some good, useful information that can be 'translated' to boots other than Cabela's inventory.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I wear the felt pac boots. I also wear a good hat and if really cold or there is wind, I also make sure my neck is well covered as well.

Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    I have been a big fan of the Rocky Snow Stalkers and am on my third pair in 20 years. They've lasted and performed well. These things are so big, I had to mark "R" and "L" on each tongue so I knew for sure which one went on which foot. They are warm, but brutal to walk in. So this year I purchased the Muck Artic Pro and it might just be the best deep winter boot I have ever owned. Highly recommended.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I had some 1000gr Irish Setters and my feet were frozen. I also wore a liner sock and heavy smartwools. Some guy told me to keep the liner, go down to medium weight wool socks and wear Muck wetlands. The key is the circulation I think and I sat the other morning from 5:30am - 6pm in that 19degree morning and my feet were cold but not so bad I had to leave the stand as in years past.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Lacrosse ice kings, nothing warmer in my opinion. Feet have never been cold even in sub 0 temps. I have had my pair for over 20 years and they still look new. Best piece of cold weather gear I ever bought.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Since all my health problems have left me with poor circulation in my feet, winter is really diificult. Last week I picked up several pairs of Browning hunting socks. They are not cotton or wool, but a blend of polyester, acrylic, nylon and spandex. They seemed to really help yesterday (20f) even just with gym shoes. Inside of some 200 gm thinsulate boots, I never felt any foot pain. The day before (35f) with cotton socks I was cold and in pain with the gym shoes.

And to sweeten the pot, they are made in USA. About $5 a pair, but worth it.

HEAD also makes synthetic socks that I got at a ski shop that work pretty good.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    I have struggled with cold feet for years. I finally bought some of the Thermacell Proflex heated insoles with the removable batteries. They are the bomb. I start out with it on medium when my feet first get cold then switch to high later. I wont leave home without them again. I think they will be great for ice fishing too. I got mine for 140$ on ebay.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    What's warm for you might not be warm for me. My feet freeze if I am sitting still. Doesn't matter the boot or the sock. I wear high quality socks and very high quality footwear. Fit is correct, change socks,...do all the right things. It does not matter. I could be wearing un-insulated boots and my feet are just as cold as wearing 2000 gram insulated boots. The only thing that works for me is heated toe warmer packs, on wool socks, over liner socks inside felt insulated pack boots. That combination just barely works for me. Last weekend my youngest son sat next to me wearing my 30 year old Sorel "Icemans" with a light pair of socks and complained his feet were hot. I sat there in a $200 plus dollar pair of insulated pack boots with the aforementioned heaters, wool socks, etc...and my feet were only passably warm. Finding what works for you is total trial and error.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom