• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My uncle just gave gave this to my mom to give to me; what is it? I'll pick it up tomorrow or in the next couple of days. More pics when I have it in hand. Looks pretty cool! Guess I'll have to learn all 'bout black powder and stuff! :rockwoot:
    JimsgifttoGlennA.jpg

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Your Uncle is being very kind.

Cap and ball revolvers are a heck of a lot of fun and they offer a great appreciation of firearms.

Enjoy it!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Just picked it up and it needs some TLC, which I will provide. The cylinder has Italian markings, and there's a very faint one on the left side of the frame as well. The barrel does not say "Made in Italy," nor do I see any date code. In front of the TG by the SN's there's also the Italian "FAP" mark. Any additional info and links to shooting and maintenance of this pistol would be helpful. I'm fairly sure it's not incredibly valuable, but I thought I'd ask before I "stripped the patina off, thus ruining it."Thanks! :ingo:

DSCF0708.jpg

DSCF0711.jpg

DSCF0709.jpg

DSCF0710.jpg

DSCF0713.jpg

DSCF0715.jpg

DSCF0717.jpg

DSCF0720.jpg

DSCF0723.jpg

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    This is not expert advice so take it for what you paid for it.
    But the writing on the side "Black powder only" leads me to believe that you have a modern replica gun. Also the serial number looks to be engraved. I could be wrong but I would think a gun from the 1800 would have a stamped serial number. Just like the Proof marks.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Navy Arms is a modern company, so yes, it's an Italian made replica. I think Navy Arms used to import Uberti or Pedersoli replicas. In .36 cal, it's a 1851 Colt Navy replica, definitely not a Paterson Colt replica.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    This is not expert advice so take it for what you paid for it.
    But the writing on the side "Black powder only" leads me to believe that you have a modern replica gun. Also the serial number looks to be engraved. I could be wrong but I would think a gun from the 1800 would have a stamped serial number. Just like the Proof marks.

I pretty much drew the same conclusion; If smokeless powder didn't exist, why state "Black Powder Only." That said, I can't find one like it so I'm thinking (guessing, actually) it's an earlier reproduction. I can't find any Roman numerals or letter codes to indicate its "born on" date. I'll do a little more research the go buy some caps, balls, and powder. And a nipple wrench.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    It is a modern, brass-framed reproduction of an 1851 Navy. I think Navy Arms used to call this "The Reb" or something along those lines. It is sort of a copy of a Griswold & Gunnison. I want to say Navy Arms started importing these around 1958 or 1959.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I pretty much drew the same conclusion; If smokeless powder didn't exist, why state "Black Powder Only." That said, I can't find one like it so I'm thinking (guessing, actually) it's an earlier reproduction. I can't find any Roman numerals or letter codes to indicate its "born on" date. I'll do a little more research the go buy some caps, balls, and powder. And a nipple wrench.
    No guessing about it. It's late 20th century. Navy Arms has only been around since the '50's. Most of their Colt repro Italian imports were from the '70's through the '90's. It's likely Uberti or Pedersoli.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    It is a modern replica of what is often called a Confederate copy of a Colt 1851 Navy (Navy meaning .36), often attributed to Griswold and Gunnison. The story goes that, being short of steel, in Confederate copies the receiver was made of brass. Not know for being strong, and the brass receiver may get out of alignment over time. The proof marks are Italian. Round barrel (like the Colt Dragoon) instead of the original Colt octagonal, and no cylinder engraving of the Texas Navy victory over the Mexican Navy. FAP is a Pietta mark.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Black-Powder/Revolvers%7C/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104503680/Pietta-Griswold-and-Gunnison-36-Caliber-Revolver/1167468.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100201%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd740135&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd740135%3Bcat104503680

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When you load this thing, be sure to top the cylinders off with grease (I use Crisco, it's easy to clean) to seal off the cylinders.

Old black powder revolvers, even the replicas, have a tendency to "cross-fire". When the chamber in battery goes off, hot gases and possible sparks are blown out of the front of the cylinder just behind the forcing cone.
    An unprotected neighboring cylinder can be ignited by the blow-by from the chambered round.

BTW- That's a nice piece, even if it IS a replica. They're fun to shoot, relatively inexpensive, and fairly easy to take care of.
    You definitely need to say "THANK YOU"!

Top Bottom