What is this flag, and why is it flown above Old Glory?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Maybe the person doesn't know the Flag Code??? Has anyone who has seen it or drove by stopped to ask if they know that they are not following the proper conduct of the Flag Code....could be they would make it correct an thank you....they at least have the American flag displayed, so I would find it strange that they hate America.....perhaps just ignorance on their part.....don't know if you don't talk to them....if it were my nieghbors I would chat with them about it.....at least they ain't got some Confederate Flag waiving.................lol.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Maybe the person doesn't know the Flag Code??? Has anyone who has seen it or drove by stopped to ask if they know that they are not following the proper conduct of the Flag Code....could be they would make it correct an thank you....they at least have the American flag displayed, so I would find it strange that they hate America.....perhaps just ignorance on their part.....don't know if you don't talk to them....if it were my nieghbors I would chat with them about it.....at least they ain't got some Confederate Flag waiving.................lol.

Nothing at all wrong with flying the Stars and Bars of a Rebel.

El T

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Fishers
    I swear you guys will anything to ***** about.

INDY_GUY_77.....you drive by twice a day. Just stop by and ask them to switch it around, or stop by a neighbor's house and ask them to tell their neighbor.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

INDY_GUY_77.....you drive by twice a day. Just stop by and ask them to switch it around, or stop by a neighbor's house and ask them to tell their neighbor.

This, how hard is it to simply inform the guy he's doing it wrong.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Spoil sport... :):
    Tell me you wouldn't like to do a Night Raid and DET Cord the Flag pole.... :popcorn:

karatejoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Greenwood
    I live in Greenwood. tell me where you saw it. I just want to see it in person. I promise I want do anything to the flag.Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The house appears to be an investment home and rented out. Doesn't really change much, just more info. BTW, no light on the flag at night.

With this piece of information, I'm gonna go with ignorant of the proper way to fly the flag. It also makes it a less confrontational confrontation to let the guy know his error. Let him know the light requirement and then casually mention that the proper place of honor for the flag is the top position on the pole as well.

And violate the MYOB man-law? You're drunk, aren't you?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Easier just not to fly one. Hate to be flying one and my porch light burn out or it start raining while I am sleeping and some flag nazi decide he needs to make an ass out of himself.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Just copy & print this, and stick in their mail box. That way you don't have to have a face to face confrontation with them just in-case there a bunch of A--'s.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Displaying the flag outdoors

• When the flag is displayed from a staff projecting from a window, balcony, or a building, the union should be at the peak of the staff unless the flag is at half-staff. When it is displayed from the same flagpole with another flag, the flag of the United States must always be at the top except that the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for Navy personnel when conducted by a Naval chaplain on a ship at sea.
    • When the flag is displayed over a street, it should be hung vertically, with the union to the north or east. If the street runs north-south, the stars should face east. For streets running east-west, the stars should face north. If the flag is suspended over a sidewalk, the flag's union should be farthest from the building and the stars facing away from it.
    • When flown with flags of states, communities or societies on separate flag poles which are of the same height and in a straight line, the flag of the United States is always placed in the position of honor—to its own right. The other flags may be the same size but none may be larger.
    • No other flag should be placed above it. The flag of the United States is always the first flag raised and the last to be lowered.
    • When flown with the national banner of other countries, each flag must be displayed from a separate pole of the same height. Each flag should be the same size. They should be raised and lowered simultaneously. The flag of one nation may not be displayed above that of another nation in time of peace.
    • The flag should be raised briskly and lowered slowly and ceremoniously.
    • Ordinarily it should be displayed only between sunrise and sunset, although the Flag Code permits night time display "when a patriotic effect is desired." Similarly, the flag should be displayed only when the weather is fair, except when an all weather flag is displayed. (By presidential proclamation and law, the flag is displayed continuously at certain honored locations like the United States Marine Corps Memorial in Arlington and Lexington Green.)
    • It should be illuminated if displayed at night.
    • The flag of the United States of America is saluted as it is hoisted and lowered. The salute is held until the flag is unsnapped from the halyard or through the last note of music, whichever is the longest.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This ain't my thread - I'm not stopping. I don't have a dog in this "fight".

That driveway is a BEAR to get out of.

As far as it not being illuminated: I do think that both flags are taken down at night. I've looked in the AM when I come to work - just out of curiosity. I can't see even the shadows of the flags. Could be wrong, though.

-J-

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Easier just not to fly one. Hate to be flying one and my porch light burn out or it start raining while I am sleeping and some flag nazi decide he needs to make an ass out of himself.

In terms of flying the American Flag in the rain. That only pertains to flags made of cotton. If the flag is made of nylon, then you can fly it during rain, if you wish to do so. We flew our flag at our station no matter what the conditions.

Top Bottom