• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    My mother is going through things in my grandparents home pre-sale following the death of my grandfather... she found this... neither of us have any idea what it is.

It's plastic...

20150427_223141_zps8bgxnyhj.jpg

20150427_222942_zpst4exw9lc.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    What's it made of? Is it threaded? Has she found maybe a little ball that fits inside of it? Just letting my mind wander.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    It looks like the top of an old snorkel that my dad used to have. A little ball would go in it. That would mount on the end of the snorkel that is opposite to the end you put your mouth on. The end that mounts on would not just go straight up, it curved downward. So when it was above water, the ball fell to the end of the cage and air could go in and out of the snorkel. When that end went under water, the ball would float and plug the opening of the snorkel so no water could get in.

Did he ever snorkel or scuba dive when he was younger?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    It looks like the top of an old snorkel that my dad used to have. A little ball would go in it. That would mount on the end of the snorkel that is opposite to the end you put your mouth on. The end that mounts on would not just go straight up, it curved downward. So when it was above water, the ball fell to the end of the cage and air could go in and out of the snorkel. When that end went under water, the ball would float and plug the opening of the snorkel so no water could get in.

He was Motorcycler, skier, and sailboater.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

You'd need a J-bend on the upper end of the snorkel or else this one would work backwards.

Top Bottom