What is Wrong with America’s Food? Is Our Food Bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    Entire herds(within days) of animals have been dying because they ate a crop off a field fertilized with Biosolids?

Because that has happened on multiple farms. The largest one in Texas(if you read the original article I posted).

Approximately 77% of the biosolids applied to land in the United States are applied to agricultural land. This includes land used to grow food-chain crops such as corn and soybeans, land used to grow feed crops for animals, and land used for pasture. Nutrients in these materials help the crops to grow.

How soon after application did the animals graze in the field? How much fertilizer was applied to the field? Are there reports of similar incidents around the country?

Here is information on the PEER group cited in your OP.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Employees_for_Environmental_Responsibility

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    How soon after application did the animals graze in the field? How much fertilizer was applied to the field? Are there reports of similar incidents around the country?

Here is information on the PEER group cited in your OP.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Employees_for_Environmental_Responsibility
    I do not have an answer for 1 or 2, but I am certain it is in the lawsuit if you want to dig for that answer. It was 5 different farms, not one(in Texas).

As for rather similar incidents happened elsewhere in the USA. READ THE ORIGINAL article.
    Why? Because it mentions a few, and why states like Maine have outlawed biosolids on farms(60+ farms shut down with unsafe PFAS levels in Maine)Meanwhile, the state is investigating about 700 more fields for PFAS pollution.

It is a problem that is not going away anytime soon. The EPA has yet to even ask state ags to monitor or test for PFAS in biosolids or fields. To much money being made.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Generally, people don't have to worry about where their basic necessities of life come from. Not that long ago, the poor worried about the next day. The middle class worried about next month. The rich worried about next year. Not anymore.

With those kinds of worries pretty much gone, our brains are primed to worry about everything we don't understand, have never heard of or which vaguely sounds threatening...even though there' no real there, there.

My response when I hear the panic du jour:

oh-no-anyway.gif

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Generally, people don't have to worry about where their basic necessities of life come from. Not that long ago, the poor worried about the next day. The middle class worried about next month. The rich worried about next year. Not anymore.

With those kinds of worries pretty much gone, our brains are primed to worry about everything we don't understand, have never heard of or which vaguely sounds threatening...even though there' no real there, there.

My response when I hear the panic du jour:

oh-no-anyway.gif
    Agreed. And this topic went a very different direction than I expected. The article I posted as a jumping on point was about gluten allergies, peanut allergies, and the like not prevalent 50 years ago and what has happened to our food that makes so many sick.

I have read that a loaf of bread has over 50 times the gluten of a loaf from the 60’s. And if you ever go to a pizzeria and see their bags of flower it often says “high gluten” right on it. Our food has changed and I for one do not find it surprising it makes people sick.

Nothing is as it was…

penguinship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    Bloomington
    I have read that a loaf of bread has over 50 times the gluten of a loaf from the 60’s. And if you ever go to a pizzeria and see their bags of flower it often says “high gluten” right on it.
    Please share what you've read that claim the increase in gluten, because I've found multiple academic sources that it hasn't really changed.

High gluten flour isn't some bogeyman either. Gluten is the name of a protein found in wheat, and high gluten flour is used for applications where a strong, chewy structure is desirable - a perfect example being pizza crust. Lower gluten flour is better for softer things like cakes. You wouldn't want a chewy cake, nor a pizza that crumbles apart.

Reactions: Mij

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Please share what you've read that claim the increase in gluten, because I've found multiple academic sources that it hasn't really changed.

High gluten flour isn't some bogeyman either. Gluten is the name of a protein found in wheat, and high gluten flour is used for applications where a strong, chewy structure is desirable - a perfect example being pizza crust. Lower gluten flour is better for softer things like cakes. You wouldn't want a chewy cake, nor a pizza that crumbles apart.
    I am no scientist and do not still have that article but as I recall it indicated that newer breeds of wheat have a higher level of specific types of gluten that is associated with health problems.

What do you believe is the difference of going through school, back in the day, and not knowing a single student with wheat or peanut allergies but now they are common?

penguinship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    Bloomington
    What do you believe is the difference of going through school, back in the day, and not knowing a single student with wheat or peanut allergies but now they are common?
    Studies do show that food allergies are more common nowadays, but I can't even begin to speculate on why that is. There are some guesses by the experts, but from what I could find, none of them have enough evidence to be conclusive.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Studies do show that food allergies are more common nowadays, but I can't even begin to speculate on why that is. There are some guesses by the experts, but from what I could find, none of them have enough evidence to be conclusive.
    It is obvious to me that the reasons are in the variables between then and now. I suspect there are multiple issues and the various players hiding in the shell game of not their fault…

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Remember when the federal government created the FDA to "protect" us?

The FDA is now just a clearing house to get permission to replace food with other substances to increase profit. The same profit going in to the pockets of the politicians who approve and/or deny the requests to feed garbage to humans to make money.

Same story, different compartment of the government. There is nothing they will not approve so long as they think they can make enough money before the truth comes out and any potential problems arise.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    My wife was just telling me a story about a woman in America with stage 3 breast cancer. She always wanted to live...I can't remember where (my wife says I don't listen to her but I don't pay attention). But she moved there and is now cancer free. They attribute it to the food and lack of harmful chemicals that most countries ban but America and the "FDA" allow.

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My wife was just telling me a story about a woman in America with stage 3 breast cancer. She always wanted to live...I can't remember where (my wife says I don't listen to her but I don't pay attention). But she moved there and is now cancer free. They attribute it to the food and lack of harmful chemicals that most countries ban but America and the "FDA" allow.
    A side note if I may. First there a lot, millions if I’m not mistaken, of very healthy Americans. Millions that never see a Dr. other than check up’s or stitches for an accident. Of course we all see Dr’s due to age related issues. They don’t seem to have the same maladies that others have. And I can only assume most live the same or similar lifestyle that others live.

Second point until recently most Americans eat, drank, wore the same garments made in America. Now days almost everything we consume comes from countries such as China. Our foods are likewise imported and from countries that don’t have our standards of health. Could this have something to do with the increase (if there is one) in medical issues? Better diagnostics could also be a factor. Many imported foodstuffs have been shown to contain dangerous chemicals and ingredients. The same goes for children’s toys, and clothing dyes. Well I could go on with my prospective but I think I’ve made my point.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    A side note if I may. First there a lot, millions if I’m not mistaken, of very healthy Americans. Millions that never see a Dr. other than check up’s or stitches for an accident. Of course we all see Dr’s due to age related issues. They don’t seem to have the same maladies that others have. And I can only assume most live the same or similar lifestyle that others live.

Second point until recently most Americans eat, drank, wore the same garments made in America. Now days almost everything we consume comes from countries such as China. Our foods are likewise imported and from countries that don’t have our standards of health. Could this have something to do with the increase (if there is one) in medical issues? Better diagnostics could also be a factor. Many imported foodstuffs have been shown to contain dangerous chemicals and ingredients. The same goes for children’s toys, and clothing dyes. Well I could go on with my prospective but I think I’ve made my point.
    I have no doubt it comes from other countries. They know they can get away with sending a sub-standard product here that will be approved by the FDA that other countries won't allow. I also agree that certain people are just prone to certain ailments and allergies to food. My wife has extreme self imposed dietary restrictuons because certain things disagree with her.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have no doubt it comes from other countries. They know they can get away with sending a sub-standard product here that will be approved by the FDA that other countries won't allow. I also agree that certain people are just prone to certain ailments and allergies to food. My wife has extreme self imposed dietary restrictuons because certain things disagree with her.
    The FDA doesn’t approve it. The chemicals are added surreptitiously, the FDA tests and discovers them. Then puts out alerts, note one recent instance of baby formula. And the one before that lead paint in children’s toys. The imported vegetables. I understand you have a problem with the feds, most of us do. But I don’t think the FDA is staffed with people just waiting to line their pockets by intentionally poisoning American citizens.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

One thing to account for is the human body. There is a significant group, say 25% that can smoke, eat bad for you foods, etc. and live to their 90’s. Another, say 25% lived a very clean life but die early of things like lung cancer, though they never smoked. Then there are the middle masses, a group that needs to protect themselves.

Life is far from one size fits all…

Top Bottom