• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Firearm...didn't pay for it (but will soon).
    Ammunition...didn't pay for it.
    Spare magazines...didn't pay for them.
    Training...didn't pay for any of it.
    LTCH...don't need it (but may get one anyway).
    Holster...$100.
    Belt...$65.
    Spare magazine holster...$50.

$215.

LEO or military?

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Since you already bought a gun I won't go there, BUT... don't scrimp on the holster, don't buy some nylon universal, multi-fit holster. If you do you will need the expensive gun belt. Spend the money on a quality custom fit holster and you won't need a special belt. I'm not talking about a $400 Del Fatti (though they are sweet) I have 2 Milt sparks iwb that I carry two different 1911's in every day and I could use baling twine for a belt if I needed to and be fine. If your set up is uncomfortable you won't carry everyday, everywhere like you should.

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If only I had been on INGO asking about my first gun purchase..instead I purchased a Sig Sauer P229R from Don's Guns for wayyyyy too much and overpaying for a new Sig hurts.. That was last August, between then and now I'm probably at least 10,000 rds., a couple classes, and 6 more guns invested, but I'm oh so glad I got started.

As far as relatively inexpensive .40's that aren't Glocks, have you checked out Smith and Wesson M&P? I've owned and sold two Glocks now, put over a thousand rounds through one of them, but couldn't bring myself to like them. I shot a buddy's M&P9 that I really liked a few times then picked up an M&P40c for my new carry piece and so far couldn't be happier with it. Full disclosure, I did purchase the Apex trigger kit which is a $90 upgrade that was also installed on my friend's M&P9, but haven't installed it one mine yet. Out of the box it's still a very solid gun though and on my thread regarding that kit, many here said they prefer the stock trigger regardless.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Since you already bought a gun I won't go there, BUT... don't scrimp on the holster, don't buy some nylon universal, multi-fit holster. If you do you will need the expensive gun belt. Spend the money on a quality custom fit holster and you won't need a special belt. I'm not talking about a $400 Del Fatti (though they are sweet) I have 2 Milt sparks iwb that I carry two different 1911's in every day and I could use baling twine for a belt if I needed to and be fine. If your set up is uncomfortable you won't carry everyday, everywhere like you should.

Unfortunately I did skimp on a holster. It's actually not a bad one, but I know it's not all that comfortable iwb, but on the belt or clipped on in open carry it's been nice. It even has an extra mag pouch built in. When the funds return, I will be getting a better one tho.

IN1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Probably thousands, but I love guns and have had several.

Lifetime Permit: $35 seriously, I got lucky. Paid for a 4 year and recieved a lifetime. Several LEO's have said I am good to go, it's legit.
    Two main carry guns are a Glock 19 and a SA MilSpec 1911, not at the same time but I do alternate depending on weather, I know it's not smart but it's what I do: $530 for the Glock and maybe $750 for the MilSpec? Don't remember it was back in '07

So far we are at $1315 and those are just two of the probably fifteen or twenty handguns I have bought/sold/traded, not to mention the thousand rounds through the Glock or the several thousand through the 1911 of mostly FMJ but a lot of HP ammo to to make sure it works and how it shoots.

I will say in the neighborhood of $4K to $5K but that is all vouluntary. Honestly, it can be done well for well under $1,000 but don't go too cheap, If you aren't addicted to guns like me, think of it as life insurance, you get what you pay for.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    LEO or military?

LEO, but that was really just a joke. I didn't include the numerous holsters I've gone through before finding a decent one, the numerous firearms I've owned and carried over the years, or the fees for the LTCH I let expire when I got this job. That number would be in the thousands.

We are getting issued new side arms next month and I hopefully will buy my current issued one to keep as a backup, so that'll add some money tot he list also...plus I'll have to buy another TLR-1s for the new sidearm so it fits in my Raven holster (I don't want to have to switch it back and forth all the time).

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Do different counties charge different amounts for the local fee? I didn't take a tally, but a lot of people said it cost them $150 for their lifetime LTCH and it's only $125 around here(now it's about $135 because of L1).

To stay on topic, I won't even try to figure out the total costs, so I'll just add up what it would have taken me to be able to carry my current EDC.

$125-LTC
    $425-Used Gen 3 G19 in mint condition
    $50-Mills Tactical Hybrid Holster(If you don't have one, get one!)
    $20-Federal Premium Hydra Shok HPs

I've went through several EDC pistols before realizing the G19 is my best fit and I don't even want to think about how much I've spent on range ammo.

Top Bottom