• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    WE all know what SHTF stand for but I was just wondering what is your personal definition. When you think of the senario that would most likely kick you into that survival mode we associate with the phrase what does your imagination conger up for you.
    Is it Anarchy? or Natural disaster or just a visit from your mother in law.

This is not a scientific poll but I expect the results will be very interesting.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    How about collapse of the dollar, loss of job, rioting/looting, and establishment of martial law all within quick succession? That then leads me to the ultimate dilemma of choosing to report for the guard call-up or just saying "screw it!" and heading for the hills and trying to survive. The wife says she's waiting on the Rapture and we shouldn't even worry about it. I'm not so sure!

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    When the whole country is mad at the government, the other countries are even madder at everybody else, and the thought of concealed carry isn't a right and privelage, but it turns to necessity.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    all of the above :rockwoot:

Government break down, a huge natural disaster(flood of 08 in columbus was a good example of when SHTF and people are displaced) economy crash, food shortages, basically any mass event that causes the masses around you to go into a deep panic and when it has the potential to displace people and force them to live outside of what they have become used to as "normal" and forces them into survival mode

seanamus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    when the internet and TV is shutdown for "security reasons" and all the living zombies come out to play, then it is time for me to get into cover and play shoot the looter :ar15::rockwoot: ya, im that cool :cool:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    when basketball or football is on my TV and interupts my TV shows or DVR recordings because they go over on time.

or when Im at walmart and some fat guy is bending over the electronics counter and his ass crack is hanging out and my 4 year old yells "say no to crack" while pointing at this enormous lump of white flesh with a canyon in the middle.

black friday is definitely a SHTF event for me. I stay home. as well as the days leading up to christmas. holidays bring out all the retards. kinda just wish a meteorite would strike while we have them all in one place.

black expo is a SHTF event. i make sure i dont go anywhere near downtown, and if I do I pack a little more firepower than I normally would and I will wear a vest under my shirt. seriously.

a tornado is a SHTF event. cant jump your house out of the way. it sucks.

a lightning storm is a SHTF event and forces me to unplug and lock things down and keep an eye and nose out for fire.

an earthquake probly is one of the likely SHTF events that scares me the most. even a basement wont help you there.

flooding is a SHTF event.

Jobloss is a SHTF event unless you have planned and saved, or you make your spouse work, ;)

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    What I see happening is a severe devaluation of our currency. Hyperinflation? Probably. In less than 5 years without any course corrections.

When that happens no one will be hiring anyone to do anything as they won't be able to afford it. We'll see a complete breakdown of basic services and necessities. At which point, it'll be every man for themselves.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    What I see happening is a severe devaluation of our currency. Hyperinflation? Probably. In less than 5 years without any course corrections.

When that happens no one will be hiring anyone to do anything as they won't be able to afford it. We'll see a complete breakdown of basic services and necessities. At which point, it'll be every man for themselves.

Id call that an TEOTWAWKI event. but good point.

i too believe it WILL happen. probly sooner than 5 years even. It will be interesting to see how far the govt of the worlds first and only free nation goes to keep their stong hold over its people. will there be marshal law? probly. which means no elections and we will probly get stuck with the dumb ass president we have now. the world as we know it IS coming to an end. whether thats biblical or just people who can see future events, I do believe in the end of days, and think we are living in them. im not being religious as to violate the rules, i just believe in people who can see future events. I believe that no matter how hard we try we will not be able to change the path we are destined to be on. but I do believe there will be survivors and I plan on doing my damn best to give my family and friends the best shot at surviving as possible

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Most analysts say another $7T in debt will be the breaking point. At current deficit rates, that's about 5 years.

Since deficit rates have been increasing, you can easily prune that number down to 2 years.

Even if it does last longer than that, the baby boomers are going to collapse the whole system when the begin to draw on their 401ks and pensions and SS and Medicare and whatever else is available.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't think it's the end of the world, just the end of the government.

People will still be here, and they'll still be scratching out a living.

I've been telling people to get ready, but no one likes to hear it and they say I'm depressing them and I need to cut it out. No one is a prophet in his home town.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Ranger brings up a good point. SHTF is something that may change your PERSONAL life greatly or the community or nation TEMPORARILY. a lot of these type of things are described in the posts above. TEOTWAWKI is (at least in my mind) a MAJOR thing that will change the entire structure of the NATION or large portion of the country for the FORESEEABLE FUTURE. While both are indeed possible, it's wise to remember the difference in considering preparations. SHTF can generally be handled by stockpiling resources resources and some skills with which to use them (also skills to get new jobs, etc.) Reading people like FerFAL would tend to lean one towards preparing for SHTF and using that as a decent start in case of TEOTWAWKI.

Japan is an interesting study in this... if your preps weren't portable (and QUICKLY SO) - you no longer have them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Great point about the preps being mobile. I tend to lean on preps for immidiate and short term needs. I can't assemble a year's worth of food and other preps on my budget. I think with my skills I can forage/hunt in the aftermath great exodus situation though. I am currently learning gardening, canning, possible small farmstead stuff to become more self sufficient which would help later on. I realy don't forsee zombie infestation/cannabilism roving gangs in our rural area. I think people are more likely to help one another and reject the thuggery portrayed in some collapse scenarios. Just my 2 cents!

Top Bottom