Hurricane Andrew (S. Florida)
    1989 San Francisco Earthquake
    Rodney King Verdict
    3 Mile Island Incident
    1977 New York City Blackout
    1968 MLK Jr Assassination
    1965 Watts Riots
    McCarthy's "Red Scare" (1947-57)

As said earlier, anything that causes mass panic should be considered a SHTF instance. It can be localized, or widespread. I have no doubt, that within the lifetimes of many of us, we will see an event (probably several) which qualifies as SHTF. I don't think it will be related to govt, as most do. I actually think some sort of highly contagious, deadly virus is the most likely.

C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    shtf

In my opinion, alot of the thing people are listing are foreseeable and could be quickly preped for by those who pay attention[ money collaspe food shortage] when it starts looking bad, then I've seen soome thing that make me, say please people turn off the TV [ firesale]. To me a shtf sit is some thing that happen sudden and unexpected . something that your not watching on the news for weeks before you have to react, Natural devastation or terrorist attack [ dirty bomb cuts off large transport hub ]attack on the power grid these are shtf, had in a instant and have you scrambling, Teotwawki is a differant thing, just as bad but slower happening and longer lasting

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Realistically what I can see happening:

If I get major car problems and have to pay a lot of money I wasn't planning on then in my little world, SHTF.

Riots in the cities for whatever reasons.

Massive earthquake.

Financial collapse.

Anything that gives me a "gut" feeling that I need to put a rifle with lots of ammo in my car that day.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    not trying to be smart, but my answer would be "when I feel its time to get out the guns" i'm not looking for any one thing. i monitor the news but lets be honest by the time we get it how accurate is it?

i think alot us will just know, because we think about it all the time. maybe we'll even be bugged in before things fall apart

jake

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    When my relatives come to visit (because I'm the only one smart enough to store needed food supplies).

I've already told them nobody is welcome when the SHTF, including my mother!

Top Bottom