• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I was reading something on INGO earlier about a child being taken then trying to take out the vehical. trying to take out the vehical would be a challenge. What is your effective range? How far do you think that you could attack and eliminate a target effectivly? For me about 30 yards. With a handgun. I have shot that far at the range and hit the taget.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    It depends??

What is your effective range?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can fill your vehicle full of holes at 50-125yards. How many holes do you want??
    I feel confident in stopping the driver at 20-30yards..Bill..

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    What is your effective range?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can fill your vehicle full of holes at 50-125yards. How many holes do you want??
    I feel confident in stopping the driver at 20-30yards..Bill..
    Stopping the vehicle

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Are you talking about shooting sporting paper targets or other human being?
    I dont think you will ever have to shoot farther than 10 yards in most self defense situation.
    If you shoot someone at 30 yards, chances are that you life was not in danger and that you will just end up in prison for murder, depending on the situation.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    I can hit pop cans at 50 yards all day so whats that come out to for a human size target 500yards?

also what is effective range? being able to hit a person or being able to shoot a squirrels head or what?

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I was reading something on INGO earlier about a child being taken then trying to take out the vehical. trying to take out the vehical would be a challenge. What is your effective range? How far do you think that you could attack and eliminate a target effectivly? For me about 30 yards. With a handgun. I have shot that far at the range and hit the taget.

Yea but hitting a target that far and being truly effective are two different things.

Me personally with my G23 i feel comfortable anywhere within 25yds, since i have only ever shoot at 25yds. When i shot with a few police officers and did what they do to qualify with their firearms, anything within 25yds was cake because on my own i have never shot closer than that. granted i only did that exercise once, but the officer was impressed and told me not to change a darn thing and that with a little more practice i would be able to qualify without a problem. i was already close to qualifying as it was.

i'm not an amazing shot, but i do have the natural feel for shooting, combined with me shooting exclusively at 25yds and up, i feel pretty darn good about shooting within that range.

rifles are different. i put a shot through a quarter at 50yds with iron sights on a buddy's Mosin in under 10 shots (also the first time i ever shot a Nagant), and i put a shot on a headsized target 1st or 2nd try at 225yds with my R700 before i truly new how to zero it in (it was boresighted, but i wasn't shooting with a solid rest, so when i "zeroed" it, it was questionable. and i put 10+ shots on a torso sized target at the same ranger under the same circumstances.

so now that i know more, and when i get a better scope i would feel comfortable at atleast that range.

Last edited:

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    Yea but hitting a target that far and being truly effective are two different things.

Me personally with my G23 i feel comfortable anywhere within 25yds, since i have only ever shoot at 25yds. When i shot with a few police officers and did what they do to qualify with their firearms, anything within 25yds was cake because on my own i have never shot closer than that. granted i only did that exercise once, but the officer was impressed and told me not to change a darn thing and that with a little more practice i would be able to qualify without a problem. i was already close to qualifying as it was.

i'm not an amazing shot, but i do have the natural feel for shooting, combined with me shooting exclusively at 25yds and up, i feel pretty darn good about shooting within that range.

rifles are different. i put a shot through a quarter at 50yds with iron sights on a buddy's Mosin in under 10 shots (also the first time i ever shot a Nagant), and i put a shot on a headsized target 1st or 2nd try at 225yds with my R700 before i truly new how to zero it in (it was boresighted, but i wasn't shooting with a solid rest, so when i "zeroed" it, it was questionable. and i put 10+ shots on a torso sized target at the same ranger under the same circumstances.

so now that i know more, and when i get a better scope i would feel comfortable at
    atleast that range.

If we're talking about scoped rifles I'd feel safe taking shots over 500 yards on man sized targets.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Hitting targets out at long ranges isn't that difficult to learn. How quickly you can get a round on target under pressure is the hard part. At a club I used to belong to we would walk over to the rifle range and hit targets at 300 meters. Most people can learn to hit at 200 and 300 if they can consitently hit targets at 25 and 50. But it takes longer and requires more concentration on the front sight.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    If we're talking about scoped rifles I'd feel safe taking shots over 500 yards on man sized targets.

I would too if i had access to and had trigger time at that range, however i only have access to 225yds :(, and the description i posted was the first, and so far the only time, i have ever shot at that distance. not to mention that at that time it was only the 2nd time i ever took my R700 to the range. so i would feel comfortable at 500+ yards if i was actually able to get comfortable with it, but so far...no such luck

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Where do you shoot a car to stop it?

I have stood in the middle of an intersection with a 12 gauge waiting for a car to appear that we had been chasing for 55 minutes.

I was going to put one round into the radiator and then one round into the windshield to attempt to stop the pursuit. I didn't because he went north instead of south on the road. And it turned out, he ran out of gas 1/4 mile north of me.

But I had no illusions that either shot would be an immediate stop of the vehicle.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I have stood in the middle of an intersection with a 12 gauge waiting for a car to appear that we had been chasing for 55 minutes.

I was going to put one round into the radiator and then one round into the windshield to attempt to stop the pursuit. I didn't because he went north instead of south on the road. And it turned out, he ran out of gas 1/4 mile north of me.

But I had no illusions that either shot would be an immediate stop of the vehicle.

Yes even with a clean shot to the driver's brain the car would still continue and crash a few hundred yards away at full speed.
    Even if you stop the engine with a high power rifle the car would still go on, just like if you turn the engine off while driving on the highway at full speed.
    I guess there is no way to stop it unless you park a damn tank in the middle of the road.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Effective range has quite a bit to do with your situation,say 400 yds at the range off of a bench with sand bags vs 400 yds at an elk down hill leaning against an aspen.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Are you talking about shooting sporting paper targets or other human being?
    I dont think you will ever have to shoot farther than 10 yards in most self defense situation.
    If you shoot someone at 30 yards, chances are that you life was not in danger and that you will just end up in prison for murder, depending on the situation.
    #1 It does not necessarily have to be the defense of yourself, it could be another bystander. #2 In this particular thread I do believe the OP is referencing the recent discussions in the Carry & SD forum pertaining to the scenario of stopping a child abduction at ~50 yards with your sidearm.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

Dead center with an RPG?

Man sized paper with my carry pistol? 25 yards give or take a few. Rifle? 250 yards, give or take 50. I personally would not shoot at a car to stop it. I would step aside and write down the license plate number and let the police do their job. I would hate to shoot whoever they just abducted, and I would hate for the driver to lose control and hurt someone or do massive amounts of property damage.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    that depends on whether or not i have a .50BMG of some sort at my disposal :D

If you are disabling equipment quickly, a .50 is fairly necessary. As for max effective range, I repeatedly smack a 10" - 20" target at 1000 yards. That is with a .308 which isn't first choice disabling equipment. As for handguns, they are really inferior for just about anything and only useful to get you out of a situation or get you back to your rifle, which shouldn't be far behind.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I feel confident out to the 600 yard mark with my 300wsm. Confident out to 400 with my 243. I'm confident with my 44 rifle and my muzzleloader out to 100-150. My handguns I'm confident out to about 25 yards.

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    I would say if comes at you at that point you have to decide fight or flee. A couple of years I got a hit and run driver stopped and when I exited my vehicle he did stomp the throttle. I got out of his way and followed him into housing addition while wife was on phone giving impd directions. from this point on I knew the guys intentions were not good and when he turned onto a court I waited there for leo. These decisions are made in the heat of the moment and each situation is different. If vehicle is coming at me and I have time to react and they are causing someone harm screw property damage its to grow a pair and take of business.

Top Bottom