What is your perfered non-railed handguard on a 20" AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2015
    New Carisle
    This might be interesting. As we all know the AR-15 is endlessly customizable, but I'm curious to what are your preferences on the AR-15 handguards.

Personally I prefer the M-16A1 handguard, because the triangular shape can support well from any surface instantaneously, and during rapid fire all anyone has to do to get a better grip is slide their hands towards the rear of the handguard where it is fattest to control the weapon better. I had an A1 guard on mine, but it was all beat up so I switched to an MOE that I also like but not as much as the A1 guard.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I prefer free floating hand guards so the Apex Gator Grip is a favorite and it is easy to add rails if you wish. In standard hand guards I like Magpul but I wish the rifle hand guard was available in the MOE SL style.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I run standard round handguards on my "20" gun that's actually 16"... They feel and look just right!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The best are the M16A2 national match hand guards.

It's a float tube that has the A2 handgaurds trimmed to fit over them. The sling swivel hangs off the end of the tube.
    d-17658.jpg

2CMPb.png

You can get them here.
    White Oak Armament

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I will give Magpul credit for the design, but it's still not a free float. At least they didn't stick rails all over it. I know there are places to put them if you want them, but at least you don't have to have them.

For my money the White Oak Armament national match uppers are the most accurate ARs around.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I will give Magpul credit for the design, but it's still not a free float. At least they didn't stick rails all over it. I know there are places to put them if you want them, but at least you don't have to have them.

For my money the White Oak Armament national match uppers are the most accurate ARs around.

The White Oak Armament Service Rifle uppers are a great value with every thing you need in a service rifle upper to be competitive. The price has only increased a few dollars in many years. For a non competition rifle, the upper alone is heavy at 7.6 pounds or about a pound heavier than a complete standard M4 type carbine.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The White Oak Armament Service Rifle uppers are a great value with every thing you need in a service rifle upper to be competitive. The price has only increased a few dollars in many years. For a non competition rifle, the upper alone is heavy at 7.6 pounds or about a pound heavier than a complete standard M4 type carbine.

Ohh no question it's a bit heavy. Most match shooters shove a lead weight in the A2 triangle buttstock too.

Makes for a stable platform. Weight also helps in the rapids when your talking about shot recovery.

Shooting a match prepared M16A2 is something else. (Rifle gas and 9.5 pounds). Makes going back to the M4 types an eye opener.

Top Bottom