• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    My Spyderco Centofante gets the sharpest though I wouldn't consider it scary sharp compared to what I've seen is possible. If you can hover your knife above your arm just close enough to graze hairs and the hairs stop popping off, that's what I consider scary sharp. I watched a video of a guy who would first sharpen on a belt sander and then finish it with adhesive backed 1000 grit taped to a table to polish the edge.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I suck at sharpening; I can get a passably decent edge out of my Spyderco triangle sharp maker.

Seems like I kind of hit and miss using one of those.
    If I pay attention I get a pretty good edge, I can never get the tip end nearly as sharp though.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Seems like I kind of hit and miss using one of those.
    If I pay attention I get a pretty good edge, I can never get the tip end nearly as sharp though.

Never could get the hang of the Spyderco.

I sold it... And have yet to reinvest.

Of course I'd LOVE a Wicked Edge - but zero chance of that happening.

-J-

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    My sharpest recieved was from Ban Tang, a BT4. A2 steel

Second sharpest was from Big Chris in Louisville. CPM 4V steel (yes, 4V)

Big Chris knives are freaking sharp. I got a few from him in S35vn and love them. Razor doesn't even describe it. he puts in some serious edge work. Ban is the man also. one day I'm going to own one of his thin santuko's.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    my sharpest knife is a spyderco bill moran upswept sheath knife. it was pretty sharp out of the box but after a polish on the old case tested manganese razor hone then stropped you can literally shave hair off of a single strand of hair.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Only blade I have that I would call "scary sharp" is on a katana. Wish I had a short (7-10") knife version of it.

Wish I knew how to put on a good edge too...

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    My brother is the sharpening master. He owns a Gerber boot dagger that he will hold point up while dropping a bandana from a foot above. The bandana is cut using it's own weight and slides to the hilt. It's a thick blade too...... Looks like almost a quarter inch of steel at the hilt. We tried the trick using a paper towel but it only slides down about 2/3rds of the blade. A single sheet of toilet tissue just goes about an inch.

He taught me to sharpen a knife such that you can easily and comfortably shave your face with it. Any of his knives on the other hand are not suitable for shaving. As silly as it sounds his knives are TOO SHARP to shave with. They always shave skin rather than sliding along the surface of it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My brother is the sharpening master. He owns a Gerber boot dagger that he will hold point up while dropping a bandana from a foot above. The bandana is cut using it's own weight and slides to the hilt. It's a thick blade too...... Looks like almost a quarter inch of steel at the hilt. We tried the trick using a paper towel but it only slides down about 2/3rds of the blade. A single sheet of toilet tissue just goes about an inch.

Please excuse my skepticism, but do you have video to demonstrate this bandana trick?

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    My sog tech Bowie. It was great out of the box and after using it on a couple deer it was easily touched up back to its original sharpness. I cut the front legs off the deer in one good swipe with it and that seemed to convince my friends off its sharpness.

flatbroke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    whereigothereiam
    I carry a SOG Trident Tanto. Sharpest knife I ever owned. To prove its sharp... I have been known to whip it out and cut down a dirt road! Seriously though, it is one sharp knife. The lock and spring open is very good indeed. I have had this for 3 years now and have not sharpened it yet. I don't cut wire and metal but I know it would if I needed it to in an emergency. I always have things at my disposal to use the proper tool where needed. Injuries occur when using the wrong tool for the job at hand.
    Look Sharp!
    Feel Sharp!
    Be Sharp!
    Always carry a knife!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    everything i sharpen*** but the sharpest i have produced was a fillet knife that gruntsoldier had it was made out of a file. mega sharp!

This! I have my EDC Kersaw and a Glock field knife sharpened by this man. The Glock field knife has cut through branches and assorted detritus and I could still likely shave with it. My EDC Kersaw Blur is running strong and can still take arm hair off my forearm, and this is after a few weeks of warehouse work (our packing guy was sick and I, in sales, volunteered, lol, cases of silicone are no match for my Blur!)

A quality steel+a man who knows what he is doing when sharpening (like Nova here :) )= a fine tool that will do what you need! :)

Top Bottom