• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    The family and I just moved to Osceola. Considering this is something I did not want to do, I figure it is in my best interests to focus on the positives and not get bogged down by the negatives. We've been here 2 weeks and the best I have come up with so far was the whole NY Strips on sale at Martins for $6.99/lb.

I took the cannondale out for a spin the other day and noticed there is a boat launch into the St. Joe river about 3 blocks from my house. Hopefully boating can be something I use to relieve stress and have fun with the my loved ones.

Here is a map of the launch I would be using.

Capture2.JPG

Can I get suggestions on what size/type of boat people use on the St. Joseph river? Also, has anyone tried a canoe in this area?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Can't help you there. The only boating I have done was from Elkhart (six span bridge landing) on up to Michigan (Mottville dam). I have canoed and boated up through there. There are lots of snags below the water level you have to watch out for. I believe the salmon and steelhead get stopped at the next dam below you so they won't be up in your stretch.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    You'll find everything from 10' jon boats to 20' bass boats. I would look at a 14' semi-v. Aluminum should suffice. I've floated that river a few times on fishing trips.

nettinyahoo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    South Bend
    There is no perfect boat, lol. I go fishing there in a deep V with a 50hp outboard. There are hazards that you don't want to hit with your prop. My brother is a pleasure boater, he goes in a twin jet drive

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I grew up on the Saint Joe River and by far the best boat I have ever used on the river was a 17' jonboat with forward mounted controls with a 75 hp Evidrude E-tec that had the jet drive conversion. Awesome for fishing and also just riding around.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I've had a house in Kalamazoo County for 9 years. I pass that river a million times. And I've seen everything from kayaks to them fancy smancy big ass Bass boats!! It's a great river for fishing our kayaking!! You'll enjoy the river.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I've had a house in Kalamazoo County for 9 years. I pass that river a million times. And I've seen everything from kayaks to them fancy smancy big ass Bass boats!! It's a great river for fishing our kayaking!! You'll enjoy the river.

I grew up in kalamazoo (and paw paw) and it certainly feels nice to be somewhere that reminds me of home.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I grew up in kalamazoo (and paw paw) and it certainly feels nice to be somewhere that reminds me of home.
    I just sold my house in Portage, MI. We loved it there. Nice place to raise kids.
    I lived near Paw Paw for a year while my dad was in Chu Lai in 69-70. Chu Lai Air Base - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We were in Lawton, home of one of the Welches jelly plants. All I remember really is a LOT of snow, of course it was lake effects snow so it didn't count!:noway:
    Paw, Paw is a village , not sure about Lawton. I know it's a little place. Pretty quiet! Good hunting and fishing. A big thanks to your dad!!

Top Bottom