• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Pulled this out of a lagoon by the Wabash today, but I have no idea what it is. It was about 25 inches long, and it was at least 5 lbs (I'm terrible at estimating weight).

100_0422.jpg

100_0423.jpg

That my good man is an asian carp known to jump out of the water when excited...boat drive by...they can get over 40 pounds and those flying in your lap is less than exciting.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm not sure, never seen the like around here. Looks like a giant shad.....
    could be a dum bass............ :dunno:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    They're not too bad if you put them in the bathtub a couple days to clean out the mud vein... or so I've heard.

Josh <><

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    yep

My grandfather would eat them, "clean them good, take out the mud vein and the bones carefully" he would say.
    He also eats "very" wild game, always tries to trick me to eat something crazy....
    Silly old man.

no offense...Redneck what types of people were you refering to???
    Old white men?:):

------------------------------------------------------------------

They're not too bad if you put them in the bathtub a couple days to clean out the mud vein... or so I've heard.

Josh <><

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    It is a bighead carp/silver carp. It is an invasive Asian exotic fish that escaped years ago in the 70s from an aquaculture farm way down south on the Mississippi River after a flood and has been working its way north ever since. They are trying to figure out a way to stop it from entering the great lakes where it will likely do great damage. It out-competes other fish species on the same link of the food chain. It is now found as far north as the Des Plaines River (two year old information) in Illinois. The IDNR (you can confirm this on your own) requests that all of this fish that is caught be immediately killed and discarded. They are currently destroying the fishing at the Oakdale Dam on the Tippecanoe River. They will grow to more than 100 lbs. under the right conditions. Hope this helps.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    no offense but there are only certain types of individuals that like to eat those fish

Yes, those of us raised on Chinese food!

Mmmm, carp. I am still unsure what the Chinese do to it to make it so yummy, but they have it down.

Asian bighead (jumping) carp is your fish. Haven't you heard of the Animal Conspiracy?:D

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    What bait was used to catch this nasty fish?

I am sure there are some of these in the White River and since my small mouth fishing has been so poor lately I might as well try purging our rivers of some of these.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I catch them somewhat regularly in the Salamonie and the junction of the Wabash and Salamonie using catfish bait or just night crawlers.

Just bottom fish.

They are fighters. That's why the Japanese like them. But as was mentioned, they're destroying the ecosystem.

If it weren't against the law (and dangerous) to shoot into or across waterways, I'd be having me some fun with the .22.

Josh <><

Top Bottom