This is the size of a baby.

d6ku5bg-c44c1206-1caa-47fd-95fb-0d9c21bef21d.jpg

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    This. Norther brown snake, aka DeKay's snake. Harmless and beneficial.
    I dont think thats a brown snake.. note the spade shape of the head.. that is a dead giveaway it of the poisonous variety.. the poisonous will also have vertical pupils

https://kysnakes.ca.uky.edu/snake_c...ually have a,be confused with venomous snakes.

That gives a pretty good breakdown of how to tell if they are venemous.. it does note some non ven will flatten the shape of their head when threatened to mimick the look of venomous

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Cheeki Breeki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Muncie
    I dont think thats a brown snake.. note the spade shape of the head.. that is a dead giveaway it of the poisonous variety.. the poisonous will also have vertical pupils

https://kysnakes.ca.uky.edu/snake_c...ually have a,be confused with venomous snakes.

That gives a pretty good breakdown of how to tell if they are venemous.. it does note some non ven will flatten the shape of their head when threatened to mimick the look of venomous

Its head looks pretty round to me, but I’m no expert in herpetology either.. I do know snakes are only venomous or non-venomous however and don’t think any of the poison variety exist. I’ve caught many northern watersnakes while kayaking and they always like to mimic a moccasin by flattening their head when threatened its rather fascinating to see up close.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Its head looks pretty round to me, but I’m no expert in herpetology either.. I do know snakes are only venomous or non-venomous however and don’t think any of the poison variety exist. I’ve caught many northern watersnakes while kayaking and they always like to mimic a moccasin by flattening their head when threatened its rather fascinating to see up close.

The OP's in Kentucky.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I use the word poisonous loosely meaning venomous. But it isn't really clear in that picture I reckon

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass

Umm, no. I'm going to pull my expert card here. I do snake ID for a living. Northern brown snake.

Cheeki Breeki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Muncie
    I use the word poisonous loosely meaning venomous. But it isn't really clear in that picture I reckon

I stand corrected! After some quick research I was able to find some species of snakes contain toxic poisons ingested and stored from eating poison toads and it acts as a defense mechanism through their nuchal gland so if anything decides to take a bite it’ll be poisoned. I never knew some snakes (albeit very rare and not around here) contain poison instead of relying on venom solely.

Cheeki Breeki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Muncie
    Here are the northern water snakes I caught and released. They’re a vey active and observant species. They really enjoyed F/T salmon filets! :laugh:
    D808-D183-EE9-C-4090-8-A5-B-114-CEF3362-AC.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually no, I’m not, although I can see Kentucky from my house. The line under my avatar just implies a state of mind, I was born and raised in a holler in Kentucky, and most of the time, I wish I was there, just me and my woman and the dogs.

Wasn't in Muhlenberg County was it? ;)

[video=youtube;DEy6EuZp9IY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEy6EuZp9IY[/video]

Top Bottom