• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigray46725

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    CC
    I recently bought a remington bdl 30-06 and i am looking for a NICE scope for it I dont want to spend alot on one but i want a nice one for up to a 500 yard shot please help if you can :draw:

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    If you don't want to pay for a Nikon or Leupold, a good solid option is Bushnell. No matter what you do, make sure to use good steel rings.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    500 yard shot with a 30-06 is a stretch, depending on bullet weight. But not a round known for distance and accuracy. But a nice choice though for hunting.

Spend as much as you can on optics. This is the part of the project that you do not want to skimp on. Especially if you are asking for accuracy at that range. Also cheaper scopes can fail with the recoil of the awesome 06.

if you can find a used Redfield, they are a good choice as well as Leupold.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    what price range do you want to be in?i would avoid chinese scopes all together if possible.30-06 is a very accurate round.i know of a couple 1000 yard matches w/ 30-06.if bsa or equivelant holds up it would be pure luck.i always have extra scopes laying around if you dont find anything you like.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have a friend that gets NcStar Mark III scopes from me for his .50 cals. I good scope for the money and so far seems to be holding up well on a number of different rifles we use them on.

larry bundy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    scope for an ar15

Hey folks, just got on this site today, so Iam very new to this. I would like to have some imput on a good scope for my DPMS ar15??:welcome:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    For the OP. 500 yards is medium range for the 30.06. It is a cartridge that has won many 1000 yard championships in the past.

To answer your specific question, I believe that Bushnell gives the most bang for the buck. I suggest a 8 to 12 power scope maximum. I have seen Tasco scopes do stellar service until the day that they die. It is pretty ugly after that. A buddy used one for 6 years until it quit.

For Larry Bundy, what do you want to do with a scoped DPMS 223? I believe that a 3 to 9 power Bushnell can handle most situations and is a good scope for the money.

JMO

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    personally i think the nikon buckmaster is a great scope for the money. i believe the size i am planning on getting is a 6x24x40 for 350ish. if i could afford one i would have a monarch 8x30x50 (or close to that size about 650ish) or preferabaly a swarovski bt scope. the swarovski bt scope you actually sight in at 5 (i think) ranges. but its roughly 1200

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The 30.06 is an excellent round! It is used in 1000 yd matches and has been the basis of some very good sniper rifles in the past. The 30.06 has killed almost anything hunted in North America as well. Anyway the new lower end Leupolds are excellent for the money. Pentax, Nikon, Burris and Bushnell all have reasonably priced scopes. It really boils down to which one you like and how well it fits your rifle. Eye relief will also be an important factor for some scopes and rifles. You can buy a good quality scope if you shop carefully for a little more than the lesser names. Invest in a good quality base and rings too, Leupold is hard to beat here. Good luck.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake

I have had a 30-06 since I was 14 years of age and am now knocking on the back door of 40, so I do know about the round and it's capabilities. But while it can shoot at 500 yards it may not be the most accurate among other choices out there for the distance stated. I have killed many of deer with it and some at some good distances, but I am more familiar with it as a hunting rifle using heavy bullets (150 and 185gr). In which the drop on those 2 are substantial at longer distances. So my info is more along those lines of a hunting round.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have had a 30-06 since I was 14 years of age and am now knocking on the back door of 40, so I do know about the round and it's capabilities. But while it can shoot at 500 yards it may not be the most accurate among other choices out there for the distance stated. I have killed many of deer with it and some at some good distances, but I am more familiar with it as a hunting rifle using heavy bullets (150 and 185gr). In which the drop on those 2 are substantial at longer distances. So my info is more along those lines of a hunting round.

The great thing about this forum is that members come at each question from their own perspective. No perspective can ever be belittled because we all have our own, and they are all valid.

The 30.06 has been used to win many 1000 yard matches because that was all that was available at the time. The 30.06 is very sensitive to changes in primers, and even lots of the same powder for match purposes.

The 308 is a much better cartridge for consistant performance when you are trying to nail the X-ring. IMO

For target shooting at 500 yards, I choose the 308. For combat purposes at 500 yards, I think either will do.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A good rule of thumb for getting a "good scope for my XXXX rifle"

Competitive shooters will tell you that you should be prepared to spend as much on glass as you do on your rifle.

The difference between a Leupold and an NcStar will be like night and day.

Don't skimp on the glass!

-J-

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    A good rule of thumb for getting a "good scope for my XXXX rifle"

Competitive shooters will tell you that you should be prepared to spend as much on glass as you do on your rifle.

The difference between a Leupold and an NcStar will be like night and day.

Don't skimp on the glass!

-J-

I concur. Getting a scope should be approached like a marriage: don't "settle." Think long and hard about what you're getting into, as well as what you want to get out of it. What performance do you expect to get, and what are you willing to invest in order to achieve and maintain that level of performance? You will be stuck with whatever you buy, unless you are willing to trade a lot of heartache and headache for a lot of time and money.

I have a Remington 03A3, and spent almost a year researching scopes and picking the brains of everyone I know who shoots and knows optics. The Bushnell Elite was one of many on my original list, which was slowly whittled down over the course of months. I eventually narrowed it down to a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm and the SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope. After phone calls to both companies, I eventually decided on the SWFA scope, and am currently in the process of getting it mounted.

Never, ever go cheap. You'll end up paying more in the long run when you finally come to the realization that you'd have been better off to pay a bit more for quality in the beginning.

Top Bottom