• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kelevra TAR-21

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    For stocking up on food I buy anything on sale. They have pop tarts on sale for 30.00 a case. Should only certain foods be stocked up or is anything ok? I look for the most high calorie foods out there. For instance I have a ton of peanut butter and jelly, tons of chowder, pastas, tuna, chillis and gernola bars ect... In short in your own opinion are pop tarts and the sort ok?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Store what you eat and eat what you store. It's not just a catchy saying, it's the optimal strategy.

Most people overlook psychological considerations during emergencies. The more comfortable and familiar you can keep your surroundings, the better you will able to handle real problems that come about. For most people, the psychology of food and eating has deep roots, whether they know it or not.

In addition, suddenly switching to unfamiliar foods can lead to gastro-intestinal upsets which may not be life-threatening, but at the very least can make an unpleasant situation that much worse.

At the very least, have 3 weeks worth of food available. Many of us try to have 6 months to a year's supply.

For long term SHTF such as TEOTWAWKI, it's not a bad idea to have certain staples which have a shelf life of decades or more, but even these are primarily used to extend your existing stocks and to supplement what you can hunt or gather, not to be your sole diet.

Top Bottom