What knife do you prefer for field dressing a deer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I use a cheap replaceble razor blade knife. Always sharp and works great and never needs sharpening.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've used the Buck Folding Alpha Hunter for all four of the deer that I've taken:
    51h13ZudTjL._SL1357_.jpg

I also have a Buck/Cabela's Alaskan 110 with the S30V blade that I've done incidental work with, but I've used the Alpha for almost the entire job because it's a drop point that makes hooking the innards easier to avoid.
    The famous B Clip blade of the 110 is back-swept enough to be (in my opinion) ill suited for opening a belly without nicking the insides.
    I also really like the liner lock of the Alpha and the Kraton handle (nice and grippy) scales, and the handle base is composed of sandwiched high carbon stainless that allows water to flow all the way through and prevents stuff from accumulating in it, so it's easy to clean up by immersing the entire knife in hot soapy water, which doesn't really work with conventional type handle bases.
    I use the Gatco sharpening kit with the blade clamp for all of my sharpening duties because I'm terrible about being able to maintain the proper angle with a regular setup without the guide, but the Gatco enables me to get the blades shaving sharp, which is essential for this particular job.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    US gun/knife guys sometimes give too much credit to the tool when all these things we like to do are a skill and the skill of the tradesman behind the tool is what really counts, A good quality 3-4 inch drop point knife will do almost any job out there. I have to say the old schrade's, bucks, and such were great knifes but a lot of the new customs are really shining, I know I'm behind the times but my blind horse knife has really good steel and will hold an edge throughout several deer or hogs.

Just for fun lst year I butchered 1 deer with my estwing hatchet just to see if it could be done

There are skills to be learned and the tools make your expertise all that easier. It's an "on the job" training skill for sure.
    My daddy always said.... "IF you can shoot pool you can use a broom stick".

Buy the best Snap-On tools and no knowledge of how to use them and all you've got are nice tools.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I used a fixed blade Buck 475 and hubby uses a fixed blade 102. He has another like the 102 that is larger that I got him off of Ebay, but I am not sure what number it is.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How many of you guys learned to field dress deer from your dad or someone else? How many taught yourself?

The biggest thing I've ever done or helped field dress and skin was a squirrel. Sooner or later I need to learn how to do on a bigger critter!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Dad taught me squirrels. I taught myself deer. Now I just call in to the DNR, and de-bone it right where it lays. The yotes remove all traces of it in a few days.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    How many of you guys learned to field dress deer from your dad or someone else? How many taught yourself?

The biggest thing I've ever done or helped field dress and skin was a squirrel. Sooner or later I need to learn how to do on a bigger critter!

My uncle and cousin have taught me in person. I still don't feel like I do it properly or am very good at it, but I get the job done. I'd like to skin/butcher some day but haven't tried it myself yet. I'd rather have someone teach me in person than try and learn by watching online videos.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I learned everything I know about hunting mostly from guides & other hunters.

Top Bottom