• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yes, talking about the Henry Repeating Arms Big Boy. Although I have fondled a true Henry, there is not a few thousand dollars in my budget for one. If I am not mistaken the original was a .44 rimfire. I believe Uberti makes a reproduction in .45c as you have mentioned.
    Is there any particular reason you would flush the Big Boy down the toilet?

Besides the looks, they aren't as smooth as a Marlin and I don't think they are as easy to mount a scope, if you can mount one on them at all. In all honesty, I've not shot a Big Boy, but I've seen several shooters show up at matches with them, they eventually transition to another rifle.

bselzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    marlin 44mag

i have a marlin 1894 ss44mag and love it. i bought the gun new and did have a little trouble with the action being a little rough, but after a few boxes down the pipe, all is fine now. i have never shot the henry, but from all i have heard i definatly would not trade my marlin for one.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    This may not help much, but dont get a Puma .44 mag carbine. I had one for a while and didnt care for it. It was reliable just not very fun to shoot after around 50 rounds. May have just been me but I didnt think it was super accurate either.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I just recently , after a year long search, picked up a Marlin 1894fg in .41mag. (to go with my Blackhawk in the same caliber) I have the Puma in .44 mag, and it's going bye-bye. ( nice little rifle, but it ain't no Marlin) The Marlin would be my choice over the Henry. Especially if you want to scope it.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I had a Winchester 94 in 44mag. But I traded it with a couple more guns for a DPMS Panther AR15 with 620 rounds of 223 rem. Then I realized I still had the CCI Blazer 44 mag hp at home, 4 boxes of them and no gun to shoot. So I brought it down to trade for 10 boxes of 223 rem. I was going to trade for a Marlin level instead I traded of the AR...:ar15:

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I really like my Marlin 1894C in .357. Fun gun to shoot and very reliable. I've never shot the Henry, so I can't comment.

Big Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Marlin 1894c

I have the Marlin 1894c (357). I had a problem with the feed, sent it back and now it shoots like a dream. Accurate from the factory believe it or not.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Slight thread-jack:

Bear with me, I'm not a reloader nor am I knowledgeable about lever-action rifles (other than Browning BL-22...)

But if I were a seasoned reloader, I'd choose a rifle that would/could give me the most versatility. IE, a rifle chambered in .460 (if such an animal exists) or .454.

IF you can find one in .460, you SHOULD also be able to utilize .454, .45LC, and .45Schofield. Naturally, one in .454 gets you the two behind it, too.

.44Mag gets you that and .44Spec

.357Mag get you that and .38Spec

If I were new to reloading, or wanted to specialize, I'd opt for either .44mag or .357. Could also get a "matching" revolver.

Just my ignorant opinion!

-J-

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    Just to throw this out there.

Check out the Wild West Guns Alaskan CoPilot in 50 Alaskan.

50 Alaskan

not exactly what you were looking for but i have been drooling over this for quite some time.

Top Bottom