• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Neither "Single stack" nor ".45 ACP" are good criteria as several companies make 1911s that defy both of those, most notably STI as they make a lot of models that are double stack and/or 9mm.

The easiest way to identify one imo is the familiar pattern of the pistol. All steel frame is a decent indicator but a few companies are making polymer frames now.

The best way to identify one internally, after seeing the outisde, is the swinging link locking mechanism combined with barrel lugs, 1911s do not use a linkless cam like most modern handguns.

I have seen the double stack ones like STI get called 2011s , not 1911s ...

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Well, if the colt 1911 patents were still good, the 2011 would be in violation of almost every single patent.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I don't know too much about 1911's so here's my question: What are the distinct characteristics a gun must have to be considered a 1911?

I dunno.

I quite literally have lost count of the 1911s that I own many years ago. In just one brand alone I own many dozens of one variety of that brand. Yet virtually every 1911 that I own is different than every other.

TRADITIONALLY a 1911 would be a single stack magazine, a frame mounted safety that naturally falls under your right thumb, a magazine release button that situated next to the base of the trigger guard, a single action trigger, a grip safety, a 5" barrel with bushing.

That does not describe most of what I own :n00b:

So here are a few NON-traditional 1911 pistols . . .

3 5/8" barrel, 45acp, compact frame, pinned grip safety:
    pix074175065.jpg

A 3" barrel, double stack magazine:
    a1.jpg

3 5/8" barrel, ultra low safety:
    1-24.jpg

A 3.5" barrel, chambered in 9mm, with a LIGHT DOUBLE ACTION trigger:
    1-1.jpg

A pair, compact & full size, with finger groove frames and bushingless target barrels:
    P1080347.jpg

A sightless compact:
    72.jpg

A pair, but chambered in 9mm and 38 Super:
    1a4-2.jpg

6" bushingless target barrel:
    11-4.jpg

3 5/8" bushingless target barrel, CNC slide, triangle hammer, etc:
    19.jpg

Bushingless target barrel, double stack 12 round aluminum CNC ergo frame, chosen by some USMC shooting team members for competition:
    MarineCorps1911.png

Which one is a 1911?

All of them!

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I dunno.

I quite literally have lost count of the 1911s that I own many years ago. In just one brand alone I own many dozens of one variety of that brand. Yet virtually every 1911 that I own is different than every other.

TRADITIONALLY a 1911 would be a single stack magazine, a frame mounted safety that naturally falls under your right thumb, a magazine release button that situated next to the base of the trigger guard, a single action trigger, a grip safety, a 5" barrel with bushing.

I had a feeling you'd be weighing in on this topic! You are "Mr. 1911" as far as this forum goes!

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    For those of you wondering, Sig's 1911's really caught my attention. I'm trying to decide between the Scorpion, TacOps, and Nightmare. Though the MAX is very nice indeed.... Decisions, decisions!

GO WITH THE NIGHTMARE!!!! I love mine (see avatar)!!! If you are looking for a carry piece, go with the 4.2" carry model (although they just release the scorpian carry too). I love sig 1911's and right now don't want to go back.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Well, if the colt 1911 patents were still good, the 2011 would be in violation of almost every single patent.

If the 1911 patents were still good, the 2011 would probably still be entitled to the three that it has of its own.

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    If the 1911 patents were still good, the 2011 would probably still be entitled to the three that it has of its own.

What are the three exactly? I'm guessing they all have to do with the modular grip or wider trigger bow or mag release? All other parts are the same.

Top Bottom