What modern firearms would the Founding Fathers appreciate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    More than firearms, I think they would appreciate the backhoe that would get them out of the grave before they suffocated.

Maybe I'm taking it too littorally - err literally, though.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I do not believe our founding fathers would have loved a Glock. This was an Era when people took pride in hand made craftsmanship. Wood and steel. Not a Tupperware pistol.
    Depends on your definition of " modern", I suppose. I think they would appreciate a Pre 64 Winchester model 70 in 30-06, a Colt 1911, Remington 1100, Ruger 10/22 and a FN FAL.
    Just my opinions.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I believe a Springfield 1903 fits the package.
    I do think a magazine fed pistol would be considered magical.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Magical you say, Dillon Aero.... They bring good things back to life..

I believe they would be impressed with a Smokeless Cartridge rifle that had a rifled barrel.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't think they would have appreciated any modern pistols. These were gentlemen of honor, and the idea of a concealable, high capacity "sneaky" pistol would have run contrary to a gentleman's use of a pistol for a duel. After all, you would never use any pistol for hunting unless absolutely desperate. So the only real use would be self defense or a duel. I still don't see them "liking" modern pistols, even revolvers. Although I do believe a revolver would be more appreciated than a semi-auto, magazine fed pistol.

I also don't think they would have appreciated any fully automatic rifles. The concept of burning through thousands of rounds of ammunition in a battle may seem normal to us modern folk, but back then they worried heavily about round placement and round count. They were very conservative about wasting things like ammunition.

I don't know about semi-auto rifles. Maybe, maybe not. For the same reason listed above but less sure of my position. I tend to think they would balk at the idea of shooting as fast as you could pull the trigger. Heavens! You could burn through your entire ammunition stockpile in 2 minutes! They might, but I tend to lean no.

I think they would have loved the bolt action rifles. These would be a concept they could understand that would not run entirely contrary to their values of wasting anything, like ammunition.

I do believe they would absolutely love the dependability and accuracy of a modern rifle.

Regards,

Doug

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I bet they would like a classic style 1911. They would really dig modern ammunition I would think. So much simpler than what they had.:twocents:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I think the founding fathers would have been very impressed with today's firearms, including semiautomatics and full auto battle rifles. These were not old fudds, in 1776 most of the founding fathers were younger than 40 years old. It might be romantic to think of them fawning over handcrafted walnut stocks and ornate lockwork. But being intelligent, as well as practical men, I can't see them overlooking the monumental advantages of today's modern arms because of some notion that a firearm must be a work of art. Of course, we can't say for sure what they would think, but I think Jefferson in particular would have appreciated a high capacity repeating rifle. He sent Lewis and Clark off to explore the continent with the Girandoni rifle in tow, which was a 22 shot .46 caliber repeating air rifle, fed from a magazine tube and capable of rapid fire. It even had 22 round speedloaders!

The Girandoni Air Rifle | Defense Media Network

The founding fathers were men just like us. I've yet to see a man not crack a smile while dumping a mag of 5.56 on the range. :)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I think they would like most modern weapons mounted on armored vehicles and aircraft. After all, they thought they might need to take down the government at some point...and then did.

Top Bottom