What other .223 Semi Auto's are out there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok, So I have had a pretty good gun year this year, I got a 870 for home defense, and just snaged up a Taurus 709 slim for my carry peice. So the next item on the list for my SHTF prep is a .223 rifle once I get my tax return.

I have looked at all the AR15/M4 variants out there. I'm also familier with the Ruger mini 14 and the Kel tec SU-16 (which I am leaning towards at the moment). My question is what other Semi Auto's are out there. I'm looking for stuff in the $500-800 range to leave some money for ammo and assesories.

Requirements are:
    good ammo availablity ( 7.62 is an option but I dont like the weight)
    Rugged
    Accurate
    And finally easy to operate and clean for a rifle newbie.

Thanks

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Although you said some other weapons........
    You can buy a brand new DoubleStar AR-15 from buds for $649 delivered and still have enough to buy a half case of ammo and a couple more mags for $800.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    At the last 1500, I saw a basic AR-15 from DPMS for $600. It was a flat top without any optics, but adding what you need to it that should be in your budget. That's probably what I'm going to get early next year.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    You could get an FAL or PTR91 possibly around the $1000 mark in .308.

Otherwise if you don't want an AR platform in .223 you're looking at a Galil, MSAR STG556, VEPR, KelTec SU-16CA, Mini-14, Saiga or other AK Variant in .223

UncleRed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lafayette
    C93 Sporter

From Aim Surplus:

Newly manufactured C93 Sporter 5.56/.223 Rifles by Century International arms. These Rifles were modeled after the HK93 Rifle. They were built using New US made Barrels and Receivers with used, refinished HK33 parts kits. As pictured. Includes 2 used HK33 40rd magazines, and used HK33 Bayonet and scabbard.

AIM Century C93 Sporter 5.56/.223 Rifle Century C93 Sporter 5.56/.223 Riflehttp://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/New_Rifles_.html

currently sold out, but I think if you look around you can find them. Classic arms may have them too.

-UR

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Ok, So I have had a pretty good gun year this year, I got a 870 for home defense, and just snaged up a Taurus 709 slim for my carry peice. So the next item on the list for my SHTF prep is a .223 rifle once I get my tax return.

I have looked at all the AR15/M4 variants out there. I'm also familier with the Ruger mini 14 and the Kel tec SU-16 (which I am leaning towards at the moment). My question is what other Semi Auto's are out there. I'm looking for stuff in the $500-800 range to leave some money for ammo and assesories.

Requirements are:
    good ammo availablity ( 7.62 is an option but I dont like the weight)
    Rugged
    Accurate
    And finally easy to operate and clean for a rifle newbie.

Thanks

I have not shot a Kel-Tec SU16, however I have read many good things about them. I do own a the SU22, which is the .22 model. The nice thing, is the ability to place extra mags in the stock. Also it easily folds to fit into a back pack, or behind a truck seat etc. Of course as you said, there are many AR/M4 models to choose from. I did own a Ruger mini-14 when I was younger given to me by my Father, honestly I did not care for it. I personaly think they are overpriced. For the money I would rather have a AR/M4.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    Were you serious about your SHTF requirement? If so, I would be looking at the Saiga line (uber-reliable) or an AR platform gun (reliable, spare parts everywhere, can use parts from mil. issued weapons, fires a nato round, etc.)

If your Kel-Tec breaks, you'll be looking for a whole new rifle.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    You could also look into an AR180 or AR180B which is a piston gun originally designed to compete with the ar15 for military contracts. I believe AR180B's are currently in production or at least were within the last few years.

Best,

Joe

caseychadwell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    Carroll County Kentucky
    The Saiga rifle is a great platform. There are a lot of modifications you can make to the rifle, or keep it as is for a more "sporter" look. And, with a 16" barrel will shoot very accurately. They also make a wonderful little truck gun. You can pick one up from Center Fire Systems right now for around 329 too, which makes it very affordable.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I love both my Sig556 and my MSAR556 (Steyr Aug clone). Both are a little pricier but well worth it. Especially the MSAR556 it is really short and looks more like an SBR but it has a 16'' barrel.

Top Bottom