What pistol should the US Army replace the m9 with?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Surprised the army never took up glock on the 1913 railed SF model 21.

Seemed to be the best possible candidate for anyone to pick up and connect with, and with minimal training. Not sure why anyone would suggest the 1911 when a soldier carries enough weight as is, not to mention break in periods and training issues.

If nothing else they might as well adopt the glock 17. Sigs are nice and all, but they'll never be as cheap and simple as a glock.

dlang0920

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    i think the fn 40 meets your knockdown power of 45 with speed accuracy 9mm be a great choice for our soldiers over there

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If they are not going to replace the caliber, there really is little point in replacing the side arm. With NATO, changing calibers will be tough. The USA taxpayer will probably end up buying all new guns for all the other countries too.

stmoore

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Indy
    They aren't changing caliber, period. All the posts of Glock 22 / 21 or whatever are out the window due to caliber.

Someone mentioned it would be a benefit to switch calibers as the "enemy" wouldn't be able to use it. I'd argue the opposite, availability of ammo is important - even if that means borrowing some from someone else (or depending the mission, dropping unique casing all over the place that screams "I who was here").

I would also wager any striker gun is out the window too. They, like last time, will want SA/DA.

Honestly, if they replace the Beretta M9 it would likely be with FN. Why you ask? They meed the requirements and we already buy several squad support weapons from that manufacturer. They were have another set of pistol trials that will be fun to hear about, but in the end politics will surely get in the way.

Another interesting thing ... if Beretta is being phased out, why did the Marines just purchase (reequipping) the M9A1?

For most rank and file groups, the side arm is an afterthought with minimal training surrounding its use. I am not sure how the no active safety thing would work.

Lastly, I love these debates. I know an older man who was an advisor in Vietnam, part of something which later become known as SOG. Anyway, early in the war, many of those guys carried wheel guns. He carried a Colt Python as he was unhappy with the 45. He noted the ability to get "mud and crap" in the gun and it would still fire - and he liked it's accuracy and knockdown power. Just thought I'd share.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    How about the Detonics MTX-H? The USMC shooting team picked it and has a Detonics sponsorship. But I don't see it really being considered. But I'm goin for the M&P. The others are nice, but the M&P is fully ambidextrious which would've helped lefties like me when I was in. And built right here in the US! Its time the US military used a sidearm built by us for us in the USA! :rockwoot:

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    The M9's ability to operate reliably on all kinds of ammo always impressed me. If nothing else, it would make a nice home defense weapon, where it's weight and bulk wouldn't matter. It would be nice if the surplus M9's were made available to the civilian market, but I know that won't happen. How do you think they will be disposed of?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would vote for the M&P. Since the decision-makers will insist on a safety, I would suggest the Sig P226.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I still do not understand how the GIANT M9 was chosen. That gun has an ENORMOUS BRICK-LIKE grip. Many (most?) females and any below average size male would certainly NOT be able to properly point/grip the gun. The 1911 single stack did NOT have that problem....and neither will an M&P, Glock 4th gen or XDm as long as they allow the user to choose from the 3 different sized grip panels.

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    If fear the politics of who makes the money off the deal has more to do with the choice than what is best for the US soldiers.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In my pipe dreams: How about an 8 shot 5" 357 magnum? Mass produced and given a durable coating - no pretty stuff.

I know there was no suggestion in the link in the OP, and there's little to no way it will happen. But it would be pretty interesting anyway.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Another vote for the M&P with an external safety. I like my M9 but think the M&P would be a better pistol for the average GI.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    The M9's ability to operate reliably on all kinds of ammo always impressed me. If nothing else, it would make a nice home defense weapon, where it's weight and bulk wouldn't matter. It would be nice if the surplus M9's were made available to the civilian market, but I know that won't happen. How do you think they will be disposed of?

Same way they dispose of surplus 1911s. Shred em and/or incinerate them.

Top Bottom