• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Bloomington
    I'm looking for the best recommended powder for shooting sporting clays.
    I am currently using Remington Gun Club Hulls with winchester primer and IMR's sr 4756 powder at 20 grains with windjammer wads. I'm using #9 shot but i think I will go to #8 from now on. I don't seem to have good velocity and consistency with this set up. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Oh yeah I'm reloading with Lee Precision Press "Load All," which could be my problem as well.:dunno:

Mossmug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Greene County
    20 gauge reloads

I like Winchester Super Field in a 20 gauge. Meters consistently and has goog velocity. Check Winchester manual, but I think I use 18.5 grains with a 7/8 oz load .

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Check out the Hodgdon Line

Having shot clay sports for 20+ years and reloaded for all of them I have switched my 12 and 20 ga loads over to Clays for the 12 ga and International Clays for my 20 ga loads. I find the powder to be much cleaner burning than most and don't feel like I get the same sharp recoil that many other powders produced.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I agree, International clays is a great powder. We loaded approx 6000 shells this year for trap for my 12 year old grandson, using this powder. We use AA wads, and Remington and Winchester AA hauls.

Dave

Top Bottom