• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k2ace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I haven't been reloading long but it seems some people have very strong opinions when it come to powder. I have only used clays, bullseye, and w231. To me I don't see much difference between these. I like w231 because it seems to flow more consistently through my powder measure. I want to lean towards clays because I use it for shotgun and I only have to keep one powder on hand. Just wondering what reasons folks choose the powder they do.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    An one and done powder is like a magic bullet. One reason I like Unique, it is a good powder in many calibers, and great powder in many calibers. Clays is also becoming a favorite, very clean. The things I want more than anything is clean burning, some have less recoil than others in the same caliber, experimented with that in 357sig. Efficient, small as possible charges saves me from buying more, but they can be bad for an inexperienced reloader.

What is peculiar to me is that some guns prefer one powder over another that will not always work in my guns, seen and have heard about it for a long time.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I use a lot of different powders, but I load for 10-12 rounds on a regular basis and half a dozen others, on occasion. Trying to find "the one" powder is not particularly realistic, unless the scope of reloading you do is pretty narrow.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have tried to stay with powders from the Hodgdon line, to include the Winchester powders, not that the others are bad, but it is a brand loyalty thing for me. It's kind of like driving a Ford Truck it's what I like.

I like W231 and Lil Gun for the pistols cartridges depending on where they fall in the power spectrum and have been very happy with Varget for a variety of rifle cartridges.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I only do straight cased pistol and sold off almost every caliber except .45 so I use Clays. Fast burning, super clean...

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    IMR 4895 is the one powder I keep coming back to for my accurate 223 and 308 loads. I've tried a few more powders but it seems like I just chase my tail and come back to 4895. I have not been reloading that long and I'm not going to limit myself though! I've tried 4064, RL 15, Varget, WC846 (BLC2) and WC844.

The next question will be what primer is best.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    AA2230 for .223 Meters like water because it's spherical. Tied for the most common plinker .223 powder by my research along with H335.
    Titegroup for 9mm. Only takes 3.4 grs so an 8lb keg will last over 17000rnds!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I like this one the best!

Powder%2520Supply.JPG

It works really good for reloading this cartridge!

Cartridges%2520I%2520handload.jpg

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Tried Power Pistol and HS6 for 9mm, but like Clays best. Doesn't take much and it's clean. Power Pistol was dirtier and flashier. Still working on .308, and have several options, but leaning toward Varget.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    AA2230 for .223 Meters like water because it's spherical. Tied for the most common plinker .223 powder by my research along with H335.
    Titegroup for 9mm. Only takes 3.4 grs so an 8lb keg will last over 17000rnds!

Seems like it was designed specifically for 223.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    231 for auto pistol and special's. 2400 for magnum pistol. varget for standard calibers. h1000 for the magnum rifle cart's. I look for temp insensitive powders as well as a powder that will suit many calibers. The cleanliness is another major concern. I keep a bunch of bullseye in the cabinet just in case. That stuff is magic- takes very little powder to get a bullet moving.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    So far the only powder I have settled on for a particular loading is Ramshot TAC for my 55 and 62 gr 5.56 rounds. I am currently experimenting a little with the charges looking for Nato velocities with the 62 grainer. Once I get there, I have some data supplied by Ramshot for safe full power loads for the 1:7 twist rifles with a true Nato spec chamber, and will push the 52s out to meet similar POA/POI.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    I haven't been reloading long but it seems some people have very strong opinions when it come to powder. I have only used clays, bullseye, and w231. To me I don't see much difference between these. I like w231 because it seems to flow more consistently through my powder measure. I want to lean towards clays because I use it for shotgun and I only have to keep one powder on hand. Just wondering what reasons folks choose the powder they do.

You mention a good point there. I think you'll find that folks with progressive presses give a little more deference to how well (smoothly and consistently) their chosen propellant meters through the powder measure. Without any particular reason or allegiance to back it up, I've been happy with Red Dot for many of my non-magnum straight-wall pistol calibers.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Back in teh day when I was reloading alot because I was competing all of the time, my training partner and I relaoded our .45s with W231...Bullseye was too fast and a little too inconsistent in my colt unless I pushed the powder weight up quite a bit which made it hot...Unique, although slower and had nice recoil management, was too dirty...however, the W231 under an H&G 68 LSWC was just right...great accuracy and always functioned well.

I have been wanting to buy another progresive press and start reloading again (maybe Christmas?) and have heard good things about Clays.....however, without verifiable data I will go back to W231 and start there.

GONZO!!!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Have heard Clays doesn't shoot as well behind lead, too hot, #7 on burn rate, but I have shooting jacketed bullets in my 45 and love it. Super clean and mild and low recoil.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Back in teh day when I was reloading alot because I was competing all of the time, my training partner and I relaoded our .45s with W231...Bullseye was too fast and a little too inconsistent in my colt unless I pushed the powder weight up quite a bit which made it hot...Unique, although slower and had nice recoil management, was too dirty...however, the W231 under an H&G 68 LSWC was just right...great accuracy and always functioned well.

I have been wanting to buy another progresive press and start reloading again (maybe Christmas?) and have heard good things about Clays.....however, without verifiable data I will go back to W231 and start there.

GONZO!!!

Clays, Alliant Pistol powder and 231 all meter about the same. I've run all three through the XL650 and they do fine.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've been using Clays for .45ACP and been happy with it. I used it for 9mm as well, but recently switched to Power Pistol (which I was using for .40) because I acquired quite a bit of it. I like it too, but it is flashy. Going to try some W231 for the .45ACP to see what I think of it, next.

Top Bottom