• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Inertia is the tendency of a body in motion to remain in motion, or a body at rest to remain at rest, unless acted upon by an external force.
    Firing the gun acts upon the tendency of a firearm to remain at rest, (inertia) by causing the firearm to recoil. The shooter can provide the external force to slow the movement of the firearm, affecting it's inertia. I don't believe one can create inertia, but one can provide the external force to affect inertia.

I don't think inertia will be the same in more than one firearm, unless the mass and velocity of those firearms are exactly the same.

Newton's laws of motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    88GT- I do agree with the probability of being a little scared. I'm taking a course to become an Armorer and my take on the inertia issue is this. Inertia is created by the round being fired(caliber, load P,+P etc) so inertia will be the same in any firearm. How that inertia is controlled is by the grip and stance and recoil. I hope this is doesn't sound critical or that I might be a know it all it's just my schooling that I'm tryin to pass on. Just starting to work on firearms here in NW IN. I work part time at Kingsbury F&W shooting range so if you or anyone is in the area stop on in. NRA member and NRA RSO. See you there!

Inertia is the tendency of a body in motion to remain in motion, or a body at rest to remain at rest, unless acted upon by an external force.
    Firing the gun acts upon the tendency of a firearm to remain at rest, (inertia) by causing the firearm to recoil. The shooter can provide the external force to slow the movement of the firearm, affecting it's inertia. I don't believe one can create inertia, but one can provide the external force to affect inertia.

I don't think inertia will be the same in more than one firearm, unless the mass and velocity of those firearms are exactly the same.

Newton's laws of motion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What Jay said. A large, heavy (steel) full-size hand gun has more inertia--all else being equal (this is physics, we're obligated by law to mention that!)--than a small-framed, alloy mouse gun. Meaning it takes more force to start a the heavier gun moving than it does to start the small one.

The polymer-framed pistols are lighter and therefore need less force to move them.

Which also means they need more force (in the form of the stabilizing grip of the shooter) to keep the frame stable in space so the slide can operate fully.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Sadclown, I think I saw and your girl last week at Porter Co. Do you have dark hear and some piercings, maybe an earring?

RealTree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    3 years ago we spent the day walking around the 1500 hoping my wife would go into labor since it was the day she was due...2 weeks later...now I've got a little one who can't wait to go to his first gun show!

Top Bottom