• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    This video will clearly explain why you should go with a 500/590 over an 870

A very one sided video obviously pro Mossberg. He doesnt even mention the Steel reciever of the 870 vs Alum on the Mossberg. Nor the dual action bars on the 870 vs single on the Mossberg. (why does he think his mossberg forend rattles around and his 870 doesnt?)

Nothing wrong with a Mossberg shotgun, but I would do more research before taking to heart what the guy in that video has to say:rolleyes:

36fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I went shooting with my boss and shot some clays!! I fell in love!! Plus I need a break from the 223/556 ammo drama. Shotguns weren't affected!!!

... I need to be educated!!
    LOL - EVERYTHING has been affected. I went to WalMart the other day and was going to pick up some 12 gauge shells for busting clays. They were out of bird shot - BIRD SHOT! They had deer slugs and turkey loads for 12 gauge. They did have some 20 gauge bird shot, but that was it.

Oh yeah, I vote for the Remington 870 as well.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Remington 870
    Mossberg 590A1
    Winchester 1300 Defender

/thread

The most proven designs with the best options in terms of aftermarket support, parts available and time tested in police, military and civilian duty.

Even the order in that list is appropriate.

The Remington 870 can do alot of things the Mossy just cannot (slug change over without losing a round, improved capacity magazines without barrel change or complicated removal of existing magazine tube). The drawback to the Remmy is that the newer express models are cheaped up (having actually broken parts with harder usage on Express models myself, not so on my hard used Wingmaster, which has better components and no MIM). The mossy does have some good things going for it (light weight reciever, good parts support, two, TWO extractors).

Not a huge fan of the Winchester design. It's bolt is pretty complicated and I have seen them fail. Before I got rid of it, mine never had a failure, yet, saw two go down in a class. The aftermarket support for them isn't as good as the latter scatterguns.

Like anything else in life, a shotgun is as only as good as the person behind the trigger and the ammo being used. If you get a shotgun, run it and run it often. It is a specialized weapons platform that has certain attributes and downfalls that can hinder it's effectiveness if the operator is not aware of the platform's or their own detriments. The idea of getting a shotgun, running a box of birdshot a year, then loading it up with buck and putting it away will not make you effective in it's use.

A man with a single shot H&R that practices almost monthly and is platform focused will always defeat a man who trains but once a year (if that) with the latest Vang Comp, Wilson Tactical Claymore on a stick scattergun. :twocents:

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    A very one sided video obviously pro Mossberg. He doesnt even mention the Steel reciever of the 870 vs Alum on the Mossberg. Nor the dual action bars on the 870 vs single on the Mossberg.

All of my Mossbergs have two action bars. You sure you've handled a 500/590, and aren't talking about a different model?

hpd855

Member From INGO's Early Days
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Haubstadt
    I have an old Western Fields Model 30 12n ga Pump. It's Browning complete with the Browning hump on the receiver.
    I have one of these, had a gunsmith shorten the barrel to 18 1/2" and I flat love that thing, action is as smooth as butter.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Winchester Model 12. Breaks down for easy transport, no disconnector so it will slam fire... what is there not to love?

My Stevens 620 is a poor man's Model 12. Same features, but only has a 2-3/4" chamber, but those are sufficient for me. My Mossberg 500 (I do want a 590 someday) is my all purpose since it will take 3" shells, has rifle sights and a speedfeed stock.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    The best pump shotgun is the one in your hands. The worst is the one being pointed at you.
    Best and worst are subject to individual opinion, and now you have mine.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    clean it if semi auto, first off a 870 or the 500 will do ya just fine but if your left handed get the 500 trust me the top mounted softy is a big deal (for me) where i hunt is very close in so i got to get the safety off very fast as 2 seconds is about all you get to shoot at small game the 500 is just faster for me also the 500 is very durable (so is the older 870s) and is plenty strong for any thing a civilian would need it for. now if you want a one of those pistol grip things get the 870 as the safety is un reachable on the 500 at the point with out moving your hand, no experience with the win 1300 ive heard smooth as glass though.:twocents:

Last edited:

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Has anyone here heard of a mosberg 5500???? This shotgun looks nice as hell but it just won't cycle
    take it apart and check the O rings they might be swelled or cut, if i was you i would buy a new set of o rings for it first before you buy a new gun. and is it a 3inch magnum gun if it is it might not want to cycle anything but 3inch magnums. and is it a mk2 or what, what exact model is it?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom