What reason did you choose what you carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I carried a G19 for about a year before I traded it for my current EDC which is now a SIG P6. I wanted the P6 over the G19 because with it being a single stack 9mm, it's easier for me to conceal under my clothes. If you have a friend who has the one you are considering, see if he will let you see how it feels and conceals.

Edit:: 2cool, that's some great trigger discipline there...

I got rid of my P6 becuase it was the same size (marginal thinner grip) and held quite a few less rounds than my Glock 19. it was an easy choice.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I carried a G19 for about a year before I traded it for my current EDC which is now a SIG P6. I wanted the P6 over the G19 because with it being a single stack 9mm, it's easier for me to conceal under my clothes. If you have a friend who has the one you are considering, see if he will let you see how it feels and conceals.

Edit:: 2cool, that's some great trigger discipline there...

It's ok the gun is obvioulsy not loaded, the person who took the picture was never in danger ... oh wait, nevermind. :n00b:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Everyone and every situation they will possibly encounter is different. There is no universal best answer. The G27 that has become my constant companion was chosen for a variety of reasons comprising what I think is the best answer for ME. .40 ballistics,size and conceal-ability,comfort in carrying, capacity and availability of ammunition and price were all considerations. But after all was said and done I chose it because it's the one I like! :D
    All the above plus I can ankle carry it when "concealed has to mean concealed" or switch it to my Blackhawk Serpa on my hip. I also like the G23. I like the .40 because it hits harder than the 9 but doesn't bother me to shoot it. I like Glocks for the firing pin block which stays in place until the trigger is pulled. No AD if you drop it.

G19ccer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Peru
    I chose a Glock 19 because it has "enough" stopping power. It feels great in my hand (say what you will Glock haters). I also like the capacity. It conceals well and I like the safety features.

All of these things have already been posted about many glocks. As for something new, I actually like the look of the glock!

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I balanced capacity, size, accuracy, weight, and the most important... if I would carry it everywhere. Started with a commander length 1911. To heavy and difficult to conceal in business casual. Switched to Kel-Tec PF9. Easy to conceal, hard to shoot accurately beyond about 20 feet. I ended up with a Walther PPS. Single stack is thin enough I can carry IWB without changing my wardrobe. It also carries well on my ankle in dress slacks. Incredibly accurate and the trigger has only gotten better after 800 rounds.

My wife now has a Kahr P9. Its nearly identical in size to the PPS but the trigger is very different. PPS has short take-up, with a crisp ~5 pound break and short reset. Kahr is very smooth but long and heavier. I prefer the more 1911-esque trigger of the PPS.

I've tried a couple single stack micro-40s. That kind of pressure is hard to control in a sub 20 ounce pistol. I'm sure there are plenty of guys who shoot them well, but 9mm is far more controllable when fired from a small frame.

I like the trigger safety of the Glock/Glock Clone class polymer pistol. Carry it in Kydex or leather and its as safe as a loaded gun can be. Its one less thing to screw up under pressure.

I've never worried too much about capacity. A handgun is just a means to a real gun. Hopefully 8 rounds will get me there. I'd like to see some evidence that capacity over 8 rounds makes a difference to non-LEO/Military persons in self-defense scenarios. If that's not enough, put a magazine in your back pocket.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I carried an old worn out 1911 long, long, ago, in a land far, far, away. It saved my bacon twice.
    It's the old friend that won't let me down. The friend I trust my life to.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After several trainings, mass casualty scenarios and regular local druggie bulls@t I had been seeing I realized the area I was spending time in was becoming less than friendly. I've read in several trade mags about firefighters being shot during the course of their duties. I may not carry on duty but I wont be caught with my pants down when I'm off.

Gary, while scary, ain't nearly as bad as its neighbors have become. I also have some personal issues with previous romances who after awhile became quite clear that they had more cuckoo than a clock. I also have seen first hand that the guy who calls 911 first will probably get service accordingly while a person toward the bottom of that list may expirence a little lag time if there aren't enough resources to go around. Im all about some self rescue.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Glock 26 with Pearce PG-39 Mag Extensions
    12+1 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense
    Equally concealable on the hip or ankle.
    Easier to carry than a all-metal pistol.
    Almost impossible to damage thru neglect.
    More firepower than a pocket gun.
    Interchangeable magazines are a bonus.
    Fits my hand like it grew there.
    Never fails to go bang when needed.
    Complete confidence in it's performance.
    Looks sexy in premium black leather.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Kimber Pro Carry II. When I went looking for my CC, I went and bought the gun that fit like my underwear. Nice and comfortable.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm curious why you chose what you did for CC. I'm thinking about buying something to carry and I would like to see the reasoning behind the decisions you all have made in chosing a gun to protect your life with. There's a lot of great guns out there, but I'd like to know why you chose yours.

Did you favor capacity, grip feel, safety mechanisms, revolver, auto, night sights, mags work with other guns, parts availability, or whatever.

I'm just curious.

I was looking for a 9mm. I chose the MP because it felt perfect in my hand, sets up easily for a left handed person, shoots extremely well, and I got a great price. The 5" barrel isn't perfect for CC...but the gun is perfect for carry.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I chose the BG380 b/c it disappears in my back pocket [looks like a wallet] and I can usually hit torso sized steel with it at 30 yards. If only it were in 9mm in the same sized package... Never use the laser, but I like the profile it gives the frame.

It was also reasonably priced. Very well priced for how well it's worked out for me.

About to break out the new CZ-75b for some winter carry, though.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I was partnered up with a 1911 in 1965, courtesy of the Marine Corps. Carried one proficiently in combat, as well as a civilian, ever since. I've seen, fired, read about, and handled nothing that would cause me any inclination to change.

.... and that little safety thingy.... that's exactly why I have thumbs, as well as the mental capacity to operate it.... ;)

Become proficient in carrying whatever suits you. :patriot:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    My first carry was a snubby revolver (S&W 637)...not "chosen", so much as "pushed on me" and I didn't know any better.

My first CHOICE, however, was a 1911... Fletch helped me pick it, Jay taught me to use it.
    Never looked back.
    Added a few more just like it to the safe since then...and got one more ordered. :)

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I switch between 45 1911's & 40 cal.(S&W 4006,Beretta 96,CZ-75b & Glock 22) i have been going OC (comfort & ease to my weapon ) Im comfortable with these pistols & have proven reliable with my chosen defense rounds but if Im going somewhere where I have to be more discreet (weddings ,Bloomington,etc.) I CC my PA-63 9X18 (almost as good as a 9mm w/ defensive rounds) my wife cannot even tell when Im carrying the PA-63 & we play a game in which we can usually tell who carries by how a person walks or dresses (Shes surprisingly good at it but she's had me to study for years :):)

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I really got serious about carrying every day about 3 years ago. I started with a gun I will always love, a full framed govt 1911. I started with OC and gradually worked in some CC. Now, I know carrying should be comforting and not necessarily comfortable but I lost a bunch of weight and the heft of the govt model was really pulling my pants down.

Now, as all gun lovers know, you don't go buy clothes that fit, you buy a new gun! So I bought an officer size 1911. Carried it for awhile and then lost more weight. This time I bought new clothes.

The weight of the gun still bothered me and I took a job requiring a bunch of out of state travel so I started thinking about a 9mm for more magazine capacity in case I had to walk home from Minnesota. Although I was a stuck up snob against Glocks, I finally broke down and decided that I'd give one a try. I got a G19 and fell deeply in love after the first trip to the range. It is comforting and comfortable to carry and with the critical defense 115gr from Hornady, I'm confident in the stopping power.

My wife shoots the G19 great so we now have his and hers.

And that's why I chose my G19 as my edc. Reliability, mag capacity, confidence in the rd, and it's comfortable in OC or CC.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I switch between 45 1911's & 40 cal.(S&W 4006,Beretta 96,CZ-75b & Glock 22) i have been going OC (comfort & ease to my weapon ) Im comfortable with these pistols & have proven reliable with my chosen defense rounds but if Im going somewhere where I have to be more discreet (weddings ,Bloomington,etc.) I CC my PA-63 9X18 (almost as good as a 9mm w/ defensive rounds) my wife cannot even tell when Im carrying the PA-63 & we play a game in which we can usually tell who carries by how a person walks or dresses (Shes surprisingly good at it but she's had me to study for years :):)

That's a cool game you guys play. I think ima try it with my wife. She likes to people watch anyway and this could help keep her interested in firearms carry. I'm trying to help facilitate here deciding to get her LTCH.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    we play a game in which we can usually tell who carries by how a person walks or dresses (Shes surprisingly good at it but she's had me to study for years :):)

And how do you know for sure if you're right? Surely, you don't walk up to strangers and ask outright...?

Top Bottom