• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    A couple years ago before my grandmother passed away she wanted us to split up my grandfathers gun collection with the relatives.I ended up with a M1 Carbine,a Colt 1911 and this revolver.Only problem is im not sure what kind it is or who made it or what caliber it is.Theres one little marking by the trigger guard thats stamped "44".And on the cylinder theres something stamped but i can't make it out.It says "ST." then i make out the rest of it.I can't seem to find a serial # on it either.Anyway i was just curious if anyone on here knows what it is and could help me out.Thanks.
    th_handgun1.jpg
    th_handgun2.jpg

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    It appears to be one of the numerous models of military pisols offered by Webley from pre WW1 to late WW2. Calibers ran from the puny 38-200 up to 45. They're solid well made but god awful ugly guns. I would recommend having a competent gunsmith look it over before you shoot it. Every now and then some foreign ammo maker whips out a batch for these revolvers. I had one in 38 S&W and it was fun to shoot. :rockwoot:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Don't know what kind of revolver it is but would love to see pics of the other guns.

I think it is great that you were able to get some of your grandfathers things.

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    Don't know what kind of revolver it is but would love to see pics of the other guns.

I think it is great that you were able to get some of your grandfathers things.
    There were a few more that i also picked up.I'll probably post pics of them on here once i dig them out of the safe within the next few days.The best part of it all was no one in the family even knew any of these guns excisted anymore except for my grandmother.Everyone assumed he sold them all years ago.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    I found it..

This French revolver, made in the St Etienne arsenal, was based on the Chamelot-Delvigne design. It was a common souvenir among US troops returning from Europe. Some of these models were modified to use the 8 mm cartridge, but as originally issued they were designed for use with a low pressure 11 mm black powder cartridge which was only made in France and should not be used with any other cartridge. The 1873 model was similar but had a smooth cylinder and was in polished metal. It was used by the cavalry.
    http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/pistols/armpr.htm

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    I found it..

This French revolver, made in the St Etienne arsenal, was based on the Chamelot-Delvigne design. It was a common souvenir among US troops returning from Europe. Some of these models were modified to use the 8 mm cartridge, but as originally issued they were designed for use with a low pressure 11 mm black powder cartridge which was only made in France and should not be used with any other cartridge. The 1873 model was similar but had a smooth cylinder and was in polished metal. It was used by the cavalry.
    http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/pistols/armpr.htm

:yesway: Thanks!! Nice to know what i got now.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    lebel

Hi,
    It does look like a lebel type revolver.
    if it was a actual french made lebel it should be serial #'d and marked with arsenal and date. every lebel revolver I have ever had had the arsenal name neatly engraved on the sideplate, and the date manufactured on the barrel. I have seen and heard of several copies made in europe that look like the m92, so that is possibly what you have there, since the lack of markings would seem to suggest. as for caliber, if it is a copy like I suspect it is, they made them in virtually a dozen calibers. the most popular in the m92 copy was actually the 8mm lebel revolver, or the 7.62 nagant round. To be sure, closer shots of the marks you found will nail it down for sure.

EDIT now that I relook at the pictures, it could very well be a italian 1872 model chamelot-delvigne type revolver. This would also explain the lack of markings, the italian makers did not mark the guns with much in the way of markings or proofs. it appears identical to the pictures that I can see. does the barrel look like it would take a large 44 caliber round or a smaller 32 or 38 round? the older revolvers would take a large diameter slug.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom